BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Law
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
alan

alan has a neutral reputation
Default Switching to Law as a career

HI, I am currently working in a different field and would like to switch to practising law in Singapore. I wish to enquire what are the steps i have to take. Have anyone heard about Diploma in Law offered by Stansfield college (University of London)? How will it help me to pursue my career in Singapore? Thanks for your help.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
charray

charray has a neutral reputation

Hi,
From what i know, u have to complete the diploma in law and then switch to one of the uk uni that is recognised by spore legal society to do your LLB, then u have to come back to do a conversion course at NUS for one year, then do pupilage for 6mths and do the bar for 5mths before you can practise in spore. And oh, you have to graduate within the top 30% in the uni before you are qualified to do the bar... (i hope i aint wrong in any of the info..)
charray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
eugenechh

Quote:
Originally Posted by charray View Post
Hi,
From what i know, u have to complete the diploma in law and then switch to one of the uk uni that is recognised by spore legal society to do your LLB, then u have to come back to do a conversion course at NUS for one year, then do pupilage for 6mths and do the bar for 5mths before you can practise in spore. And oh, you have to graduate within the top 30% in the uni before you are qualified to do the bar... (i hope i aint wrong in any of the info..)
Yes you are wrong. There have been amendments and you need to be in the top 70% now to qualify.

Last edited by eugenechh; 07-18-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
ihatelaw

ihatelaw has a neutral reputation

MOD Ashearo EDIT: Please DO NOT use profanities here. This is a second warning to you.

Last edited by Ashearo; 08-08-2008 at 10:03 AM.
ihatelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:41 AM   #5
eugenechh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatelaw View Post
mod ashearo edit: Please do not use profanities here. This is a second warning to you.
ignore ass-zero, he is a useless bum...
Old 08-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechh View Post
ignore ass-zero, he is a useless bum...
Take your flaming war to private messages. This is my last warning.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
HI, I am currently working in a different field and would like to switch to practising law in Singapore. I wish to enquire what are the steps i have to take. Have anyone heard about Diploma in Law offered by Stansfield college (University of London)? How will it help me to pursue my career in Singapore? Thanks for your help.
If you already have a first degree, I think the fastest way would be to either:

a. NUS Graduate LL.B Programme: 3 years LL.B + 6 mth pupillage + 5 mth PLC
b. Oxbridge Senior Status law degrees: 2 years B.A. + 1 year DipSing + 6 mth pupillage + 5 mth PLC

of course, I imagine the competition is fierce for those places.

The Diploma in Law doesn't help you to qualify as a laywer at all.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
iDeAs

iDeAs has a neutral reputation

The private schools offering Dip in Law or LLB will not lead to a Law degree you can practice in Singapore. With AAA/AAB at A level you can try for NUS, SMU, UK (LLB in 3 yrs) or Australia (LLB in 4 years)

Otherwise with good O level results you need an extra 8 months in UK or 10 months in Australia taking a foundation. PM me if you need more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
iDeAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
Pulse0011

Pulse0011 has a neutral reputation

Hi Can anyone tell me is it too old to start studying law at age 26? and eventually graduating at age 29-30 before doing the 1 year PLC and pupilage??
Pulse0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Hi Pulse, I think "too old" is really up to your definition. What about the age are you concerned about? There's nothing wrong with starting any career at any age. At 30, you're still employable as a law associate if your degree is as good as everyone else's. If you can afford it financially, then there should be no problem.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote