BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > USA
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
賢狼ほろ

賢狼ほろ has a neutral reputation

I also heard that A lvls can be considered for exemptions for certain courses at some colleges?
賢狼ほろ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
yingzhen

yingzhen has a neutral reputation

Yes that's right. In fact, A levels can be used to skip up to 1 year of courses if I am not wrong... more than the APs. APs are easier than the A levels in terms of rigor.
yingzhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #13
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

how many As and AO subjects U take?
1st yr U are taking around 8-10 subjects.
its closer to half a yr worth of credits from many ppl experience.\
most impt do these credits apply to your graduation.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #14
賢狼ほろ

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
how many As and AO subjects U take?
1st yr U are taking around 8-10 subjects.
its closer to half a yr worth of credits from many ppl experience.\
most impt do these credits apply to your graduation.
Under the H1/H2 system most people are taking around 11 academic units, but that includes GP and PW. I think PW is essentially worthless except for local unis so does GP grant you any exemptions?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 AM   #15
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

ya I forget about the change... not in SG for a long time liao. Stolen from UMICH other Uni practise should be kinda the same.

http://www.admissions.umich.edu/intl/requirements.php
Quote:
Note for applicants from Singapore: Beginning in 2008, applicants from certain schools in Singapore may present H1, H2 and H3 level exam results. H1 levels may be considered equivalent to “A/5” levels; however a grade of C or better would be required for advanced standing credit consideration in appropriate academic subjects. H2 levels may be considered equivalent “A” levels. A grade of D or better would be required for advanced standing, credit, except for Engineering applicants, who would be required to have a grade of a C or better. H3 levels may be considered for credit with grades of pass or above. These standards are tentative and subject to change.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #16
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Some colleges may vary, but no, by and large, GP and PW do not give credits in American universities.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #17
賢狼ほろ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
Some colleges may vary, but no, by and large, GP and PW do not give credits in American universities.
Still, I am told that GP acts as a de facto "English at A level" to prove that we speak English natively? While KI on the other hand, is not recognized besides by local unis and Oxbridge, the taking of which might cause you to need to take expensive English tests intended for non-natives?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #18
cogito

cogito has a neutral reputation

hmm well i'm a year 2 KI student now, and what we're told is that most UK unis (save for LSE) recognise KI, but only as a normal H2 content subject (similar to maths and history, etc)

what i'm pretty sure of is that local Us definitely recognise KI; else it makes the ministry look slightly foolish for introducing the subject in the first place. still, it's not special or anything, again just a normal H2 subject (although it IS different from the others because it's suppose to be knowledge skills and not content-based, but plenty of people are iffy on that)

US, on the other hand, probably doesn't have a problem with KI, if i remember correctly they'll just see it as a subject, period.

English qualifications wise, it's quite tricky because some unis think that KI is an awful substitute for GP and doesn't formally confer english proficiency, though in my opinion (and this is strictly only my opinion), it's a whole load of rubbish.

still, if you're worried about english qualifications, you just have to take TOEFL or IELTS and get a decent score. If you are/going to be a KI student, i'd say you shouldn't have a problem there.

just my two cents, hope it helps! (:
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #19
賢狼ほろ

Thanks for the info.

I still don't think I'll take KI in JC though, due to other reasons, such as from what I've heard, the total lack of free time. I do find it interesting, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my extracurricular interests for it.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #20
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

i think that an exam that proves English proficiency doesn't necessarily give credits. TOEFL is an example of one. Of course, for the official answer, you should contact the universities directly
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote