BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Law
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
PureFitness

PureFitness has a neutral reputation
Default University of London Law subject guides

for those who are curious what law at undergrad is like, you can take a look at the UOL (international program) law subject guides:
http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk...es/index.shtml
(the subject guides are not comprehensive but I think gives a good taster of law topics)
PureFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
calvink

calvink has a neutral reputation

I was wondering with an external LLB which is not recognized for practice in SG...what would be the career options for such graduate..And will employers perceive such degree to be irrelevant in job hunting locally?
calvink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
teddynuts

teddynuts has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvink View Post
I was wondering with an external LLB which is not recognized for practice in SG...what would be the career options for such graduate..And will employers perceive such degree to be irrelevant in job hunting locally?
It probably will be treated as an arts/humanities degree. Career options probably will fall in general sectors; i.e. for those job requirements that go along the lines of "General Degree" or "A Degree with Honours" without specifically mentioning the degree preferred. Or the most direct and "guaranteed" job is to go NIE and do one year teacher training before becoming a teacher. Employers kinda will prefer to hire people with accredited degrees, don't you think?
teddynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
shootingstar18

shootingstar18 has a neutral reputation

Hi,

I wish to correct this misconception. Yes, the UOL LLB external programme, now known as International programme may not be recognised to be admitted to the Singapore bar (http://app2.mlaw.gov.sg/UsefulInfo/P...4/Default.aspx) and may not be as attractive as other prestigious law degrees, however, there are still other careers which you may wish to pursue in the Legal Industry.

Although, personally, I strongly encourage that those who wish or may intend to practise law in Singapore, should head over to those overseas accredited universities recognised by the Ministry of Law and not pursue this external law degree, if you can't qualify for local unis.

Initially, this external law degree was recognised but the rules have changed.

As an external law degree graduate myself, I am now employed as a Legal Counsel in one of the Government-linked Companies in Singapore. Although I attained a Qualifying Law Degree which allows me to pursue my Bar qualifications in UK, I have no intention as yet. Instead, I will be pursuing the Australia Bar instead.

Thus, those who plan to pursue your bar qualifications in the UK, it should not be a problem. You will need to read EU Law and undertake one of the two routes which you can read up more at UOL's website to attain a Qualifying Law Degree.

Personally, most Legal Counsel jobs require those with bar qualifications and admitted to practise in a jurisdiction, often, the Singapore jurisdiction. However, there are also some which do not require, for example, like mine. I must say I am very fortunate to have been selected for this job position because not only do legal counsel jobs require one to be a qualified lawyer, it also requires some working experience. I can be considered a fresh graduate although I had worked for few months as a Legal Executive (Paralegal) in one of the top law firms in Singapore dealing with Litigation matters, which is quite irrelevant to the Corporate and Commercial world.

However, if you are shortlisted, it all depends on how well you seize this opportunity given and how you well perform in the interview sessions.

For other alternative jobs in the legal industry if you are not a 'qualified' person to practise Singapore law, you may refer to http://app2.mlaw.gov.sg/UsefulInfo/P...4/Default.aspx for more information.

For myself, I plan to work as a Foreign Lawyer in Singapore after I am admitted to practise in Australia's jurisdictions. With the new Foreign Practitioner Exam (FPE), I intend to work towards fulfilling all the pre-requisites and then practise those permitted areas of Singapore Law.

This is if you wish to work in a legal industry.

Alternatively, as mentioned, you may perhaps work in industries which emphasise alot on the usuage of English Language, be a teacher, or perhaps look out for jobs in Banks as analysts etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by shootingstar18; 11-17-2011 at 02:35 PM.
shootingstar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
ryan82

ryan82 has a neutral reputation

Hi, from your post, you mention that you are trying to enter into australia bar. Can you tell me how to go about it. Thanks. I am also a external uol llb student. Does anyone has managed to enter to austtralia bar with uol llb extrnal degree.

Last edited by ryan82; 04-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.
ryan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
jilee

jilee has a neutral reputation
Default Study guides.

You can actually try your luck on Carousell. they even have a UOL groups https://sg.carousell.com/g/simuol_sg

otherwise you can log onto UOL VLE and there's a group there , you can enquire from there.
jilee is offline   Reply With Quote