BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Private > Previous Cycles
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
knol

knol has a neutral reputation

Do you mean 30 or 300? I don't think there are even that many people in the region applying to those eligible Oxbridge colleges.
knol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
Swiffy

Swiffy has a neutral reputation

Dno! that was what the guy in my interview told me. It is possible, because some of the eligible people do study in the UK but hold appropriate nationalities (and went to study in UK for the purpose of applying to UK unis), some don't hold the mentioned nationalities but have lived in the appropriate country for 7 years.
Swiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
shadowdancer

shadowdancer has a neutral reputation

hmm doesn't matter now. didn't even make it past the first round. and 300 is unsurprising since there could be 30 from singapore alone. it's open to quite a few countries in the region, and countries like malaysia are just as likely to have a far larger pool of applicants than singapore, for example
shadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
Butterbeer

Butterbeer has a neutral reputation

Haiz, didn't get to know of Jardine's restrictions on colleges before applying to Oxbridge, how wasted.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
dchan

dchan has a neutral reputation

hey swiffy!

would just like to ask: how was the first interview like? was it hard?

thanks!
dchan
dchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #16
Swiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
hey swiffy!

would just like to ask: how was the first interview like? was it hard?

thanks!
dchan
Hi! The first interview is quite straightforward. There was only one interviewer interviewing me and he was really nice. He used the essay I sent in prior to the interview as a starting point and we just kind of went into a tangent : ). My main point was on water management so we talked quite a bit on that. Basically they allow you to talk whatever you want, none of the technical stuff you'll face in a cambridge or oxford interview.

It depends on the country though the number of rounds of interviews you need to go through before getting shortlisted for the final interview.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:34 AM   #17
dchan

dchan has a neutral reputation

thanks for your reply Swiffy!

wow, thats good then. they seem pretty nice. =]

just wondering, was the hong kong interview any different?

yupp, thanks!
dchan
dchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #18
Swiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
thanks for your reply Swiffy!

wow, thats good then. they seem pretty nice. =]

just wondering, was the hong kong interview any different?

yupp, thanks!
dchan
It is slightly different. It was interesting though.

The hongkong one also involves writing an essay under timed conditions, in addition to the interview.

This time, it was a panel interview. It can be quite intimidating with 6 people infront of you! It was slightly open ended in that you tell them about you, but you can end up having to give reasons for what you have told them.
Also, since there are masters of colleges on the panel, when they quiz you, it can turn out to be academic like.
On the whole it has elements of my cambridge interview, more than the first one.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #19
Hoping

Hoping has a neutral reputation

Hi to all,

and to Swiffy,
congrats on making it all the way and nailing the scholarship!

I am in my 2nd year of NS, ORD-ing in Nov, and I have already accepted an unconditional offer to read PPE at one of Jardine's preferred colleges in oxford. I am now really interested in the Jardine Foundation Scholarship as well, and would love to receive more first-hand info from you about the application process.

Also the rest may help to answer my query...will Jardine immediately reject me if they know I'm already on another scholarship when I apply? Is it possible if I reject that scholarship only after (and this, another big big if, I know) I manage to get the Jardine scholarship?

Sorry, I know it sounds really selfish of me but I hope you guys can understand why I would prefer a bond-free scholarship.

Thanks.
Hoping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #20
Swiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping View Post
Hi to all,

and to Swiffy,
congrats on making it all the way and nailing the scholarship!

I am in my 2nd year of NS, ORD-ing in Nov, and I have already accepted an unconditional offer to read PPE at one of Jardine's preferred colleges in oxford. I am now really interested in the Jardine Foundation Scholarship as well, and would love to receive more first-hand info from you about the application process.

Also the rest may help to answer my query...will Jardine immediately reject me if they know I'm already on another scholarship when I apply? Is it possible if I reject that scholarship only after (and this, another big big if, I know) I manage to get the Jardine scholarship?

Sorry, I know it sounds really selfish of me but I hope you guys can understand why I would prefer a bond-free scholarship.

Thanks.
Hullo, thanks! I have to get the grades now :P
what first-hand info about the application process would you like to know about?
If they know that you're on another scholarship, it lessens the chance for them to consider you. As for whether to reject the scholarship you already have or not, this will depend on that scholarship board's policy.