BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Private > Singapore Airlines
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #11
nicky7789

nicky7789 has a neutral reputation
Default ATPL training

How long does it take to get an ATPL? and how much would it cost for the full ATPL training?
nicky7789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #12
timlum

timlum has a neutral reputation
Default I'm a little lost here. Somebody help please?

Hi

I'm really lost as of where I should be heading now because i just finished my A levels and i am really keen in an internship that would give me beneficial experience for my future career, of which i still havent decided yet. My subject combi is Math, Econs, Phy and Chem. Im really looking forward to working in SIA but i have no idea as what for the current moment. Any suggestions that suits my combi?

And do anyone know if its possible to get an intership at SIA?
timlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:52 AM   #13
brightisoverrated

brightisoverrated has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xm105 View Post
it means as a non-singaporean/pr/malaysian you don't qualify for the cadet pilot program. SIA does hire experienced expat pilots as direct entry captains, experienced meaning 10+yrs flying and thousands of hours.
This is untrue.

Non Singaporeans or "just" PR are not allowed to fight our military planes (unless they take up Singapore citizenship) but they are most certainly accepted into commercial pilot trainee programmes.

There are many Malaysians who are SIA pilot trainees.

Do you know that for Singaporeans, SIA only recruits pilot trainees who are 26 years old and above?? The Malaysians I know however, were in the programme before 26 because they're NOT Singaporeans.

Sound unfair? Nah its just patriotic duty at work. The reason SIA does not take in any SG passport holder into its commercial pilot trainee programme is because it has to 'reserve' the SG guys for RSAF.

There are a lot of poly diploma holders who became RSAF pilots after their poly, they fly for a few years and go to SIA after they pass 26. No idea why because it's much more fun and meaningful being a military pilot and at least you get to do real flying instead of flying a machine that is on autopilot, with nothing much to do for the long stretches of time in between landing and take-off except communicate with the ground on the radio. The pay of RSAF pilots is competitive to commercial pilots' pay. Many former military pilots who left to go to SIA say they regret it.

You do not need a degree to be an RSAF or SIA pilot. Diploma or A level will do. And unlike other jobs, after you start flying the hours you clock will be the only thing that determine your rise, your lack of a degree is squat. So if you're really set on becoming a pilot, whether fighter or commercial, apply right after a diploma.
brightisoverrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
xm105

xm105 has a neutral reputation

non-(singaporean/pr/malaysian)

26 is when you actually sign on the dotted line, you can put in the application at 24.5

if you applied for rsaf and didnt make it for any reason, you're not bound by the 26 age limit any more.

most rsaf pilots leave for sq/sqc/mi after their first contract(12yrs) for a variety of reasons:
once a rsaf pilot reaches cat A, which is ~6yrs into the contract, he starts spending most of his time behind a desk and fly a few hrs monthly just to maintain currency. rsaf has an unspoken agreement with the sia group which ensures the rsaf pilot dosnt lose out in terms of flight time and seniority. rsaf flying isnt as glam as it seems, sq guys fly more in 3yrs then most rsaf guys do in their whole career.
it is difficult for non-degree holders to transit to staff positions(the 2nd contract), they'll at most reach maj and thats it.
the type of plane they fly is phased out and they've got too little time left on their contract to train on a different type. this happened with the a4 fleet a few yrs back.

you'd be gravely mistaken if you think autopilot is like cruise control on your volvo. something is wrong if you find yourself with nothing to do during the flight. where is my top-of-descent? am i due for the tank-to-engine switch? whats my single engine out spd and alt at current weight? whats the metar at my alternate? just because a boeing dont shoot missiles dosnt mean there's nothing to do. what is 'real flying'? in modern fighters, the computer flies the plane, the man flies the mission. i'd say flying a hang-glider or non-garmin cessna is as real as it gets.

it is true that hours and seniority determines a pilot's paygrade, but a degree, sooner or later, is needed for management positions, after all you cant fly forever.

Last edited by xm105; 12-15-2009 at 11:01 AM.
xm105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #15
nicky7789

Default sia

in SIA cadet pilot program- they only train cadet pilots up to the CPL level.

and my friend buy his own flying education, with the same flying hours. and SIA doesnt accept him.. why is that?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #16
xm105

xm105 has a neutral reputation

sia trains you to the fatpl, which is cpl+all the atpl papers. your friend must have screwed up the interview somehow
xm105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
nicky7789

Default sia

my friend already graduated from uni. he has a CPL together with a Command Instrument Rating on twin-engined aircraft and a Flight Instructor Rating and he also completed the theoretical component of an Air Transport Pilot Licence. and then he went to apply for singapore airlines.. then he got rejected..
Old 07-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #18
maverick

maverick has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky7789 View Post
my friend already graduated from uni. he has a CPL together with a Command Instrument Rating on twin-engined aircraft and a Flight Instructor Rating and he also completed the theoretical component of an Air Transport Pilot Licence. and then he went to apply for singapore airlines.. then he got rejected..

My dear friend, SIA is one of the world's most prestigious airlines. Do you know there are thousands of qualified pilots around the world who are looking for jobs now? Most of them are being furloughed or had their contracts terminated due to the recent recession. When I say qualified, I'm talking about 3000-8000 hours TYPE-RATED pilots.

Not every Tom, Dick or Harry can just go get a fATPL with 250 hours and expect SIA or any other carriers to put them in the RHS of a jet. The problem with self-funded students is that once you get your licence, you will most probably be dusting crops/instructing/banner towing. As far as I know, SIA only hires direct-entry captains with more than 5000TT and 2500 Multi-engine. Does your friend qualify for that?

If you're talking about a FO job, I hate to break it to you but most SIA FOs are Singaporeans/Malaysians who underwent the SIA Cadet Pilot Scheme and not self-funded applicants.

What I can tell you is, do not be fooled into paying 100k for a pilot's license and then realise that no airlines will take a 250hr freshie. Think twice before doing it. You will be doing many other kinds of flying before you can reach the minimum hours to qualify for a A320/B737 job.

Good luck in your flying career and God bless.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
maverick

maverick has a neutral reputation

To add on, SIA generally prefers their pilots to go through the same training as each other and therefore, the only way to do so is by undertaking flight training at SIA's subsidiary flight school, Singapore Flying College. The fees are around SGD150k and job placement with SIA is not guaranteed. However, you MIGHT stand a very good chance to get picked up by SIA/SIA Cargo/SilkAir.

Good luck and God bless.