BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #211
DoItOnceDoItWell

DoItOnceDoItWell has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieP View Post

Well, at least they haven't been rejected like me yet. Still have till end of June. Perfect 90 should at least guarantee them an interview slot. Also, note that for law/med/dentistry applicants, your interview to get into these courses also serves as your scholarship interview.
Shortlist for scholarship should also be dependent on the essay. If many people with perfect points applied, then selection will depend on the quality of essays.
DoItOnceDoItWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #212
KatieP

KatieP has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoItOnceDoItWell View Post
Shortlist for scholarship should also be dependent on the essay. If many people with perfect points applied, then selection will depend on the quality of essays.
You mean the essay that law/med/den applicants wrote or the one all scholarship applicants wrote during scholarship application period?
KatieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #213
SignorWinter

SignorWinter has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Just received a letter in the mailbox to say that my application for NUS scholarship has not been successful. I have not been called up for interview. Does it mean that with my score of 88.75(4H2-3As,1B, GP-A, PW-A) i am not even eligible for the interview round? Didn't know that NUS scholarship is so competitive that only the 90 pointers will get. Or is it because my CCAs are not outstanding enough? But I am sure even though my CCAs are not fantastic, they are at least pretty decent, with some leadership positions, SYFs, and even exposure internationally. Or is it due to my pharmacy course?
Sigh...quite disappointed as I have gotten Nanyang scholarship last month but chose to reject it to go to NUS, hoping to get a scholarship here, but in the end don't even have the chance to go for interview and fight for even the lowest tier scholarship
I'm not a 90 pointer lol. 87.5.
SignorWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #214
jessica.c

jessica.c has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse View Post
Hey I got the book award without scholarship too. Oh well, better than nothing *shrug*
so true. heh. i am a 90 too. i think it really was the essay. didn't have much ideas about contributions. :/
jessica.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #215
Ergodicity

Ergodicity has a neutral reputation

I think the essay matters more than your rank points.

I'm not a perfect 90. B for PW. lol.

It's about setting yourself apart from the rest of 400 over people with similar results.

Anyway, all the best
Ergodicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 AM   #216
KatieP

KatieP has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergodicity View Post
I think the essay matters more than your rank points.

I'm not a perfect 90. B for PW. lol.

It's about setting yourself apart from the rest of 400 over people with similar results.

Anyway, all the best
Really? Sigh...didnt think that the essay was that important when I was applying. The fact that the system timed out on me twice didn't help. Got so frustrated that I had to retype everything again and again made my quality of essay really bad I guess. I always prefer interviews over essays though, feel that I can express myself better when I talk then I write Sigh...the reality
KatieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #217
Ergodicity

Ergodicity has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Really? Sigh...didnt think that the essay was that important when I was applying. The fact that the system timed out on me twice didn't help. Got so frustrated that I had to retype everything again and again made my quality of essay really bad I guess. I always prefer interviews over essays though, feel that I can express myself better when I talk then I write Sigh...the reality
Mmm.

If i'm not wrong, they do their first cull based on the essay as well as your achievements.

Though the awarding of the scholarship is probably heavily sided towards the interview. They will have about 3 profs from different faculties interviewing you.

For those interested to know more, just send me a PM.
Ergodicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #218
mishieru07

mishieru07 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Something which might help in future applications (whether it's for a job, postgrad, scholarship etc) is to write your essay/ Cover Letter in Word and then just copy + paste. Some online systems can get really annoying, and it's also good to keep a copy of your application so you can recycle information if you're sending multiple applications for the same thing (eg internships)
mishieru07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #219
CaiHongRainx

CaiHongRainx has a neutral reputation

Hi, I was wondering if one can apply early for the scholarships before the release of the A level results?
CaiHongRainx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #220
fpdt666

fpdt666 has a neutral reputation

Hello,

just wanna ask if anyone received any notification on interviews/offers of NUS scholarships yet?
fpdt666 is offline   Reply With Quote