BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
BrightSparksAdmin
Administrator

BrightSparksAdmin has a neutral reputation
Default What are the trends for employment in Singapore and the economy in Singapore?

Traditionally, we have been very lucky in Singapore with our economy chugging along for the past 40 years with some blips. Our current unemployment rate hovers less than 3% (most recent is 2.6%) and that is close to full employment.

Those of you who study economics will know our economy is primarily a service driven one with a strong manufacturing wing that generates a lot of jobs. Current areas which require a lot of headcount include :

a) Marine & Offshore Engineering
b) Semiconductor Engineering
c) Banking & Finance (Back Office (treasury, risk mgmt etc) roles)
d) Banking & Finance ( Front office sales (private banking, relationship mgmt) roles)
e) Teaching
f) Media & Design
g) Life sciences & research
h) Entreprenuership

Basically, many jobs available and many sectors are bright. So a better starting point is which jobs fit your profile best to ensure success, enjoyment and staying power.
BrightSparksAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

i can't decide whether law is right for me. are there tests available to help us identify our most suitable careers?
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
vitalism

vitalism has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to vitalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSparksAdmin View Post
Traditionally, we have been very lucky in Singapore with our economy chugging along for the past 40 years with some blips. Our current unemployment rate hovers less than 3% (most recent is 2.6%) and that is close to full employment.

Those of you who study economics will know our economy is primarily a service driven one with a strong manufacturing wing that generates a lot of jobs. Current areas which require a lot of headcount include :

d) Banking & Finance ( Front office sales (private banking, relationship mgmt) roles)
e) Teaching
f) Media & Design
h) Entreprenuership

Basically, many jobs available and many sectors are bright. So a better starting point is which jobs fit your profile best to ensure success, enjoyment and staying power.
We are moving towards high value-added fields like biotechnology, water technology, environmental/energy science and it/multimedia, so there will definitely be jobs created in these fields. However, the flip side of the coin is that these fields are not very labour-intensive so the number of jobs created will be limited ><

Of course, there will also be certain jobs which are almost recession-proof, like teachers, lawyers, doctors, civil servants etc.
vitalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
vitalism

vitalism has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to vitalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
i can't decide whether law is right for me. are there tests available to help us identify our most suitable careers?
haha here's a few suggestions (thank god for the internet!)

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/career...areertests.htm
http://www.myfuture.com/toolbox/workquizzes.html
http://www.quizrocket.com/career-personality-test
http://similarminds.com/career.html

of course, the Jung Typology Test is very helpful in analyzing your personality (http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp)
vitalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
goodboy

goodboy has a neutral reputation
Default Architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSparksAdmin View Post

e) Teaching
f) Media & Design
h) Entreprenuership

Hi, i am curious about the job demand for architects in SG. After reading through many posts, most has depicted that the market for architects seems to be quite gloomy. How true is that?

Thanks a lot for your advice!
goodboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
RickSteves

RickSteves has a neutral reputation

Ministry of Manpower Career Compass:
http://app.careercompass.gov.sg/front/home.aspx
RickSteves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
goodboy

goodboy has a neutral reputation

Hi, I am really interested to know about the prospects of architecture. May I have some advice? thanks.

1. Is the demand for architects in SG high, especially during down turns?

2. I have had heard a few comments from my friends in NAFA, saying that local architecture degree is not very employable as compared to overseas U. How true is that?

3. What is the starting pay for freshgrads? and how will it increase over the years?

4. Finally, what is the employment rate of freshgrads every year? (within 3 months? or half a year?)

Thanks a lot for the help. I am not exposed to much of the design scene in SG. Hence, I am sorry if my questions seems shallow in anyway. :/
goodboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Pieones

Pieones has a neutral reputation

Good thread. Can moderator who started this thread keep refering back to EDB and cite Manpoer Ministry or something to keep this relevant please?
Pieones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
jimjoker1

jimjoker1 has a neutral reputation

This could be made into a very useful and current thread on job market for graduates. Keep it active please!

I have a question:
Judging by the current demand and supply, which local degree course has a better resilience in the current, future and long-term job/career market?

Engineering, Business or Arts/Social Science?

Please comment or advise.
jimjoker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
winterland

winterland has a neutral reputation

Hi newbie here! But I think this article can answer most of your questions:http://sg.jobsdb.com/SG/EN/Resources...0hiring?ID=602 I was also asking the same questions as yours when I stumbled upon that. Really helped me a lot.
winterland is offline   Reply With Quote