BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
BrightSparksAdmin
Administrator

BrightSparksAdmin has a neutral reputation
Default How much do fresh graduates earn?

Based on past year university surveys, fresh graduates will earn a base salary ranging from $2400 to $2600.
BrightSparksAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
tinyRedLeaf

tinyRedLeaf has a neutral reputation

Things may have changed, and the kind of degree you have does make a significant difference to your starting pay. Yeah, it sucks. I don't see why a liberal arts degree should be worth less than an engineering degree, but unfortunately, many Singapore-based employers seem to think that way.

To give you an idea, when I first started working, fresh from college with a BSc (Hons) in Computer and Business Studies, I was offered between $2,700 to $3,000 for my starting pay, while friends with general Business Administration degrees struggled to get offers of $2,200. That was 10 years ago though, back in the tail-end of the dot com boom. The tables may have turned today, what with the current popularity of the banking sector (which may not last through this year, given the credit crunch in the US).
tinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Sparks

Sparks has a neutral reputation

Salaries nowadays may have been inflated, especially evident in the banking and government sector. However, with bad news hovering around in the US market nowadays, we may be seeing a reverse and salary range may start to fall back to original levels. With the influx of graduates from all around the world, it would still be reasonable to put the range as SGD2000-2400.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
leemeihui89

leemeihui89 has a neutral reputation

May i know how much does a fresh grad chemical engineer earn? thks!
leemeihui89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
DaZz

DaZz has a neutral reputation

may i also ask how much does an aerospace engineer earn? Thanks
DaZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

dershing has a neutral reputation

Some statistics from MOM wage reports for 2006. So can add about 5-10% for 2008 numbers?

"Engineers continued to occupy the top five positions among entry-level
professionals, namely semi-conductor engineers ($2,954), manufacturing engineers ($2,891), production engineers ($2,850), electronics engineers ($2,697) and quality control engineers ($2,680). Civil engineers were paid less at $2,257, along with accountants, network, systems & database administrators and social work professionals all with median commencing gross wage of $2,000"

See this link for the entire report. But please note that we in the industry always find that MOM numbers are lower than what anecdotal evidence tells us

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/mompor...ages_2006.html
dershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:49 AM   #7
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

which are the best paying entry-level jobs available to fresh grads?
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
tinyRedLeaf

tinyRedLeaf has a neutral reputation

Currently? Chemical engineer. We're talking about an oil boom here, with oil prices over US$100 a barrel and rising. Even if this trend does not continue, oil will remain a key part of any industrialised economy. Singapore is the largest oil refinery hub in the region. Do your sums - the oil companies here need chemical engineers, and they will pay handsomely for such talent.

But of course, I'd hope that money alone isn't the only pull factor.
tinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
DaZz

DaZz has a neutral reputation

what about aerospace engineer? any pay difference btw an aerospace and mechanical engineer?
DaZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
sunshinemint

sunshinemint has a neutral reputation

Teachers do get quite well-paid, although some people may look at such a profession with disdain. In fact being a teacher is not that bad. I heard from some of my friends that their starting pay is $2800 and they get up to 3 bonuses a year. There are also remunerations and subsidies. But the only downside is that you may get tied down by endless remedials or enrichment, and you have to mark papers like siao or you worry and talk about students all day long that you forgot who you truly are. LOL.

Yeah and money should not be the sole factor in choosing a career. One should think about the environment, the type of workload and whether you can ascend the corporate ladder or get promoted. Things as such could be relevant and important.
sunshinemint is offline   Reply With Quote