BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Scholarships Application Process
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

dershing has a neutral reputation
Default Share interview process/questions!

To get the ball rolling, here are some questions I have been asked in the past when I apply for scholarships, some questions I know scholarship providers like to ask and also some I heard of.

General ones

1) Why are you keen in our company?
2) What kind of person are you? Tell me about yourself?
3) Why do you want this scholarship?
4) What makes you different from other candidates?
5) Why should we offer you the scholarship?
6) What do u know about us/ our industry?

Knowledge ones

1) Why do u know about the current sub prime crisis?
2) What do u think of soverign wealth funds?
3) What can we learn from the Asian Tsunami Crisis?
4) What are the challenges you think Singapore faces?

More cool and interesting ones

1) Would you be keen to be based overseas? Why?
2) Explain the water distillation process?
3) How do you make decisions?
4) Whats your philosophy in life?
5) How would u measure the volume of Bukit Timah hill with a table spoon? (or some variation there of)

Feel free to add and share your ideas on how to answer. There will be such questions, so might as well discuss now!
dershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
simyanliang

simyanliang has a neutral reputation

Companies/boards usually ask questions to find out what kind of a person you're like, in addition to what they can already tell from your certs, grades, CCAs and all. They would also like to see how you can fit into the organisation. So what's most important is that you know hat you want and you know yourself well, because if it's meant for you, it's meant for you.
simyanliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
sakura_candy

sakura_candy has a neutral reputation

I think there were something along the lines of: What do you see yourself doing in x year's time (where x>=3 and x<=10).
sakura_candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

dershing has a neutral reputation
Default Don't be selfish! Share your experience

Hi guys,

this thread is for one adn all to share your interview and application experience with others. You can discuss on how to improve replies and on the process for each scholarship provider. You can also take the thread into the respective scholarship provider thread for discussion.

Free for all. There is no tracking of IDs here adn whatever your write is totally anonymous unless you put otherwise.
dershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
sakura_candy

sakura_candy has a neutral reputation

scholarship interviews usually ask questions according to the person. e.g. if you say you are very interested in a particular subject, they'll ask you questions related to that (why does it attract you. what have you done in the past etc) so be prepared to talk. i think it's better to take their cue on a particular topic and talk a bit more than what they asked for, if it makes you look good; It's not very good to show that you don't know what you want.

well, there are weird ones that are totally out there, for example, I was asked about the singapore moral education system. and I was applying for computer science.
sakura_candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
elee

elee has a neutral reputation

I think interviewers can ask very wacky questions, including prominent scholarship providers. i heard that EDB for eg, asks if hello kitty has no mouth how does hello kitty eats. interesting eh? haha so be prepared!

I have a friend who have been through the first round of EDB scholarship application, and he had to prepare a presentation, go through interviews, and was put through situational tests.

Last edited by elee; 03-19-2008 at 02:32 PM.
elee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
yeoweixin

yeoweixin has a neutral reputation
Default Psc

I think i'm just gonna talk about PSC application. It's an ongoing process so do start early in J2 if you are interested. First, there's this psychometric test which tests your cognitive ability and personality. It's during july/aug (or around that period) so rmb to sign up for that in school or you will need to do it at some other place and time. then try your best for your prelims cuz if you do, you can use it to apply for early PSC application. the advantage of early application is that you will statistically stand a better chance (supposedly because schools usually kill their students in prelims and hence less people apply using prelim results), and once you get conditional offers, the requirement for you in A levels would be something like 3As and 1B. In another words, 3As 1Bs in A levels could get you a scholarship if you apply early and get the conditional offers, but when you apply after the A level results when thousands would have 4As, it's harder to stand out. Another reason to apply early is that you can do your psychological interview (1st interview) during the dec holidays, or guys you would have to do it during NS. So after the psychological interview, it would be the actual board interview where they would decide to award you or not. For the psychological interview, just be yourself and be truthful. as for the actual board interview, please read up on current issues or any other general knowledge cuz PSC wants people who are not just study-smart too. Yup so prepare well and start building up your CV too. all the best! =)
yeoweixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
elee

I've just been through the face-to-face interview conducted by brightsparks on behalf of SGX and boy, it was bad! haha so people, make sure you know a lot about the company you are applying for and the industry that the company is in. In my case, i was asked for my opinion on the singapore and US economies. eg how i felt the sg economy is doing and how i think it will do next year, and how sg investors are affected by the subprime mortage crisis in US etc. oh and i had to bring along both my original documents as well as the photocopies to leave with them, so maybe it's wise to do the same for other scholarship interviews as well
Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
truewt

truewt has a neutral reputation

oh man. I was asked about the industry-related questions.. Sad to say I didn't research enough and gave a wrong answer... I would love to answer the economic outlook of US and SG... That is a speculative question
truewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
elee

Quote:
Originally Posted by truewt View Post
oh man. I was asked about the industry-related questions.. Sad to say I didn't research enough and gave a wrong answer... I would love to answer the economic outlook of US and SG... That is a speculative question
guess both of us just screwed up our interview haha! but still, all the best to you ya!

i wonder if anyone is interested in knowing how the psychometric assessment is like, but i shall just post it nonetheless. basically e cognitive tests are held one after another and i only got a break after all 3 are done and before i start on the personality test.. and there's practically no time to finish the questions. or maybe it's just me haha!

btw, for the second round of firefly interview, one have to make an impromptu 1 min speech, and my friend got a very interesting question: what happens if zebras have spots instead of stripes?

Last edited by elee; 04-09-2008 at 12:24 PM.