BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Scholarships Application Process
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
BrightSparksAdmin
Administrator

BrightSparksAdmin has a neutral reputation
Default Which scholarship is the best one?

There is no such thing as a best scholarship but rather only a best fit scholarship. And the fit works both ways.
BrightSparksAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
lilytan

lilytan has a neutral reputation

hi there..i m new here..
i m a malaysian who juz gt the result of straight As in STPM,i would like to study in singapore in the field of accounting,but i need scholarships for that..
i m nt sure wat to do now..i dunno hw to apply for admission to the univ and wat scholarship tat is available for me..i hv heard abt NUS & NTU,both of them is applicable for me,rite?
i really appreciates any help,thankyou..
lilytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

dershing has a neutral reputation

there are lots of scholarships to study in NTU or NUS. For accountancy, I believe NTU is most established. You can sign up on BrightSparks and do a search for all scholarships from the 3 local universities.
Best of luck!
dershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:15 AM   #4
kukubird

kukubird has a poor reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSparksAdmin View Post
There is no such thing as a best scholarship but rather only a best fit scholarship. And the fit works both ways.
PSC's top 3 scholarships.
kukubird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

hey kukubird,

pls elaborate. Why do you think PSC top 3 are the best scholarships?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

lol its interesting and true to a certain extent, since being a psc scholar would probably allow you to be involved in the area of work covered by almost any other type of government scholar and also be the latter's boss at the same time.

anyway, psc considers all applicants first for the main PSC scholarships before delegating the rejected applicants to the ministries, regardless of the areas that the applicants have indicated they are interested in. so "fit" is not exactly a big issue when it comes to PSC vs ministry scholarships - PSC scholars can always do the choosing later. that should say something.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
kukubird

Quote:
Originally Posted by dershing View Post
hey kukubird,

pls elaborate. Why do you think PSC top 3 are the best scholarships?
LockT31W has covered some of the points, plus it's common knowledge that almost all stat board scholars are PSC rejects.

Almost all stat board scholars I know tell me they applied to PSC and was rejected or didn't get the award they wanted (usually OMS but they got some teaching award instead so they go for stat board). PSC gets first cut of applicants and has a much more rigorous entry criteria. It's common knowledge lor, esp if you apply to scholarships and know so many people around you who do too. People who receive a response for stat board interviews are not even granted a PSC interview when they apply for both. Conversely, the reverse has never been documented. No one to my knowledge, who has received a PSC interview did not get a stat board interview when they apply for both. And we all know prospective scholars apply to like up to 10 scholarship bodies just to see their options at the end of the day. So all this is common knowledge.

That PSC scholarships are premium over stat board and almost all corporate scholarships is a renowned fact in all JCs, I don't think you need me to spell it out for you. Among corporate scholarships, only GIC stands out and is one of the more prestigious non-PSC scholarship.

An OMS scholar can do the exact same work as a MAS or EDB scholar in the MTI, except that he is at a higher level and will be the latter's boss. OMS scholars get to do everything but stat board scholars are stuck doing one thing (whatever their stat board does eg water management, etc)

And if PSC scholarships are not premium, the President's Scholarship would not be given to only SAFOS, SPFOS and OMS scholars duh. And the SAFOS scholarship wouldn't be the most prestigious scholarship after the President's Scholarship.

In my time, there was even a saying in RJC and HCJC that if it's not a PSC top 3 scholarship, it's not worth accepting. Another popular notion in RJC: did you know even though SAFOS is the militarily-inclined version of OMS, OMS doesn't even come close to the SAFOS in terms of prestige?

Scholarships come in grades and ranks like all other things from cars to clothes, so the people who accept them are inherently different.

Last edited by kukubird; 03-30-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

thanks for clarifying kukubird. Agree with you somewhat on the fact that scholarships like many things in life (but not all) have rankings based on prestige. Which is also why i advocate selection based on best fit rather top rank.

Unless of course, ones sole aim in life is to always get the top rank. If that is case, then I suggest aim only for president scholarship and nothing else. Cuz anything else requires you to be bonded and we all know that the top ranked jobs in life are with the huge multi-nationals. Join Goldman Sachs, join Google or start your own facebook. Success in any of the above 3 paths (and others like them) will you far above your peers by age 35.

But I think most people are not one-dimensional which means finding something you are happy with, have the right skills , values and interests for.

Just to clarify one thing for readers. Stat boards do not cross check your applications with PSC and vice versa. They each have their own selection process. And it is also not true that OMS scholars will end up bosses of stat board scholars if they get seconded into Stat boards. It really depends on each parties performance.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
kukubird

Quote:
thanks for clarifying kukubird. Agree with you somewhat on the fact that scholarships like many things in life (but not all) have rankings based on prestige. Which is also why i advocate selection based on best fit rather top rank.

Unless of course, ones sole aim in life is to always get the top rank. If that is case, then I suggest aim only for president scholarship and nothing else.
Not true. You're saying all the other PSC scholars like OMS and SAFOS who are not president's scholars do not have a more prestigious scholarship than stat board scholars?! LOL

Just because a non PS (president's scholar) OMS has one less prestigious award (the PS) does not refute anything about PSC scholarships. Your argument is something like, "If you cannot become Bill Gates *who went to Harvard and left on his own accord*, don't go to Harvard. Just go to community college."

Please note that the question posed as "what is the best scholarship?" everyone knows that fit is important. Someone who is not military inclined can never get the SAFOS. Fit is something subjective to the individual and is common sense, and is irrelevant to a discussion that is meant for all people and also discusses "what is best", so clearly the "best" here has to be based on objective variable like what is recognised as the "best" by everyone else.

Quote:
Cuz anything else requires you to be bonded and we all know that the top ranked jobs in life are with the huge multi-nationals. Join Goldman Sachs, join Google or start your own facebook. Success in any of the above 3 paths (and others like them) will you far above your peers by age 35.
Not true as well. All who apply for any sort of scholarship will expect to be bonded and already ruled out such career choices like setting up Facebook. So this argument is also off-base. Clearly scholarship applicants already are in to be bonded and want to know what is the best perceived by national standards. That would make the discussion meaningful.

Also, you may like to know that only Investment Bankers in GS make more money than Admin Officers. And front office trading and I banking positions make up only a tiny sand of a fraction (maybe 1%?!) of all employees in foreign big name banks. Most are relegated to middle and back office positions and they certainly do not make anything close to Admin Officers.

I know plenty of mediocre local grads, including those with distance learning degrees who manage to get back office like Operations positions in top names like UBS. FYI their salaries are the same as their counterparts in local banks. LOL

Quote:
Just to clarify one thing for readers. Stat boards do not cross check your applications with PSC and vice versa. They each have their own selection process. And it is also not true that OMS scholars will end up bosses of stat board scholars if they get seconded into Stat boards. It really depends on each parties performance.
I NEVER said that stat board cross reference applicants with PSC. Stat boards operate rather independently which is why most stat board officers get stuck there. PSC scholars however enjoy fluid movement among the various offices. Just because Stat Boards do not cross reference applicants with PSC does not mean that Stat Board scholars are not PSC rejects.

I stated already, based on reliable empirical experience, almost all who eventually accepted stat board offers were rejected by PSC, but you can find few if not none of PSC top 3 scholars who were rejected by stat boards. This rejection process does not require a cross reference between the agencies. The rejection is based on demand and supply which results in PSC getting first cut in selection of applicants. The rejected applicants and scholars filter down to the stat board and corporations as part of a natural rejection process and doesn't require cross referencing.

PSC scholars if seconded to stat board take on top tier positions, you can do your own research on google and find out for yourself. Also, PSC scholars in the ministries already direct the directions of stat boards, including the top guys at stat boards, that's the point I believe the other poster meant. I'm sure you know stat boards take directions from ministries. It's true that a very good stat board scholar, (only in one of the more vital stat boards like EDB) can transit to Admin Service, but cases are few and far between. We're talking about statistics and actual meaningful data and variables like what is known and recognised to be "good" or "better", so talking about fit which is common sense and subjective (and something everyone knows and take into consideration) is meaningless if this discussion were to be meaningful for prospective applicants.

Last edited by kukubird; 03-30-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

actually fit is not common sense. Many extremely capable and bright people think too little of fit and so later in life, have to make drastic career changes. Ask around people who have worked 5 years at least. You will find that few people know exactly what they are good at and many feel stuck at their jobs. Even top performers.

So kukubird you are lucky to know exactly what you want do to, good for you, but my idea behind the What is the best scholarship thread was to also help undecided and equally capable people understand that there is a lot more than just rankings and to show that there are many paths to success.

I am 33 this year and I have many friends who are OMS scholars, Stat board scholars etc. Some are AOs, some are doing very well in their stat boards roles, others have left their org and are working in consulting firms, IBs, etc. I also have a whole bunch of very capable , bright peers from university who are not scholars but went their on parents money. They work in top notch firms worldwide. It all boils down to fit and current/future circumstances.

And it is impt to discuss fit precisely because it is subjective. Maybe we can help someone realise that rank is not everything esp since deep down inside , he or she has never really thought beyond what their parents and society asks them to think..

Also, I think you misunderstand my point about the President scholarship. What I was saying is that at this juncture (18 or 19 years old) you have a choice whether to take up scholarships or not. Its a career choice. And if your sole criteria is to be the best of the best by prestige and pay, then please do not bother to take up any scholarship other than those which are bond free. Reason is that there are other paths you can take which do not bind you and which may be simpler.

final point about AOs. An AO at 32-34 makes $400K per annum or so at Director level. That is a lot of public money. I encourage it for anyone genuinely cares about Spore growth and has a keen interest in public policy. I also hope you are very capable and intelligent with a good heart as much of what you decide/propose affects many people. There are also many other points on consideration like whether you can work well in a extremely structured environment, whether you can play the political games required, get along with your PS etc. That is where fit comes in. How to not discuss it?

But enough about government, maybe someone who is inside IB can discuss more about IB career so that people can see if they have a fit for it? We have a thread on banking & finance i believe. or even entreprenuers? I know the medicine side is quite active. All 3 can earn far more long term potential earnings then govt. Just see all our poor ministers who have to take pay cuts from their medical career or Hyflux Olivia Lum (Hwachong alumni!) who earns $15K per mth as part time MP but her company probably makes that in 1 hour!