BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #1
vic1997

vic1997 has a neutral reputation
Exclamation UK...deferment advice

Hi guys, I am currently in NS and I am in a dilemma as to whether I should apply to UK in my 1st/ 2nd year of NS or both. I will have two years (2016 & 2017) to apply for a place in 2018. Would it be advisable to apply this year and request for a deferment, so that if I fail I would have another opportunity again in 2017? Or should I simply put my eggs in one basket and focus on applying in 2017? Because from what I've heard, competitive unis tend not to hold places for students because of NS, which would then render my application useless. Also, if I fail the first time round, will UCAS/ the unis keep my record and hence affect my chances the following year? Can someone pls enlighten me Thank you!
vic1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
hoseh

hoseh has a neutral reputation

Then apply for the ones that will keep a spot for you... even if they are less prestigious. Assuming that you are applying for medicine, which is more important: getting into a recognized medical school or taking the risk and apply for the more competitive ones? Don't get too bothered by the reputation when choosing med schools... as long as it is recognized it is fine. It might just give you a slight ego boost after graduation for a couple of months that's all.
hoseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #3
vic1997

I wouldn't know which uni will keep a spot for me...that's why i asked this question. And besides, I'm talking about courses in general, not just med. So, should i apply to UK in my 1st/ 2nd year of NS or both? Will failing the first year and applying again put me at a disadvantage?
Old 07-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
hoseh

hoseh has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1997 View Post
I wouldn't know which uni will keep a spot for me...that's why i asked this question. And besides, I'm talking about courses in general, not just med. So, should i apply to UK in my 1st/ 2nd year of NS or both? Will failing the first year and applying again put me at a disadvantage?
For your first issue, that is something you have to find out yourself e.g. internet, education agent etc.

I am no expert in this issue but I am pretty good at googling so:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1054782
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2088174
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=600498

If you don't find these links useful, create an account there and get your questions answered there but don't be expected to be spoonfed information that you should have gotten yourself.
hoseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:45 AM   #5
medicboy

medicboy has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1997 View Post
Hi guys, I am currently in NS and I am in a dilemma as to whether I should apply to UK in my 1st/ 2nd year of NS or both. I will have two years (2016 & 2017) to apply for a place in 2018. Would it be advisable to apply this year and request for a deferment, so that if I fail I would have another opportunity again in 2017? Or should I simply put my eggs in one basket and focus on applying in 2017? Because from what I've heard, competitive unis tend not to hold places for students because of NS, which would then render my application useless. Also, if I fail the first time round, will UCAS/ the unis keep my record and hence affect my chances the following year? Can someone pls enlighten me Thank you!
Would it be advisable to apply this year and request for a deferment, so that if I fail I would have another opportunity again in 2017? Yes. Do note though that any places that you get the first time you apply will have to be given up should you choose to re-apply in the next cycle. For example if you got into LSE but not Oxbridge but you want to re-apply for Oxbridge, you have to give up the LSE placing with no guarantee of getting it again the second time.

Or should I simply put my eggs in one basket and focus on applying in 2017? Why would you? I don't see any reason to

Because from what I've heard, competitive unis tend not to hold places for students because of NS, which would then render my application useless. Not true, I know 4 guys who got into Cambridge, from applying in the first year of NS and Cambridge is holding their place for 1 year. One of my good friends also managed to get Cambridge to hold his place for 2 years because he was so oustanding (he applied in JC2). I know seniors from Oxford who got in in the first year of NS too (i.e. Oxford holds his place for 1 year). Since Oxbridge likely falls within the "competitive unis" that you are talking about, I would definitely say this assertion is untrue. Though it would probably be slightly easier to get in without the uni having to hold your place, this is just one of many many factors, and there are tons of people who have got into Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/Kings/UCL with the unis holding their places for 1 year.

Also, if I fail the first time round, will UCAS/ the unis keep my record and hence affect my chances the following year? Frankly, I do not know if the UCAS/Unis keep your record, though i would be inclinced to think that they do not as there are really just so many applicants (it would be too troublesome to track and why would they want to track anyway?). In any case, there are people from my school who got into Oxbridge/LSE after failing on their first application (1st year of NS) and then getting in on their second application (2nd year of NS).

I am quite sure about most of this infomation. In summary, please feel free to apply during your first year of NS. Do take note though that you should give your best no matter what the circumstance as it is not only inconvenient/discouraging to re-apply but you will have to give up any acceptances that you got for the first application. All the best!

Last edited by medicboy; 07-06-2016 at 01:48 AM.
medicboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #6
vic1997

Thank you very much for your advice and reassurances medicboy! You've definitely cleared a lot of my doubts!!