BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NTU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #41
Almostlover

Almostlover has a neutral reputation

Is the writing test for LMS is difficult, like do I have to possess any background knowledge beforehand? I am down for the interview and writing test but I have no idea what to expect. Am quite worried cuz apparently I was shortlisted for NTU English (3rd choice) but i failed their writing test. ):
Almostlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #42
fablegirl

fablegirl has a neutral reputation

The question is different for each batch of applicants (as in, my friends and I went on different days. Hence, different questions.) It doesn't matter what you write in your test but a little content will help. It shows that you're actually interested and willing to go read up on the subject. According the the professor who interviewed me, he said that the test is for them to test your english skills and ability to make arguments. So make an argument even if you're not sure if what you say is correct XD. That is my advice anyway.

However, my friend who went for the interview was told that there aren't many places left so you'll have to fight for it. Good luck!

Last edited by fablegirl; 05-07-2010 at 05:11 PM.
fablegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #43
roxaboxen

roxaboxen has a neutral reputation

Almostlover: I went for an LMS interview towards the end of April. I'm not offered a place in LMS so I'm not really in a position to give advice but I'd like to share that I found it was very useful to read up just to familiarize yourself with the topic. Perhaps practice writing essay outlines in case you haven't been near a pen till recently.

For anyone else concerned about the interview, think about why you are truly interested in this course. Find out about it, so that you don't look like you're hearing things for the first time (if you are >_>). The professor I was interviewed by was friendly and the atmosphere felt more like "classroom-discussion" than "parent-teacher conference" so don't worry about feeling too nervous and panicking

Last edited by roxaboxen; 05-07-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: missing words and wrong month, oops
roxaboxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #44
badmoonrising

badmoonrising has a neutral reputation

Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone on the forum went to the HSS tea party last Sunday? Did anyone manage to talk to the seniors at LMS about the workload or the course in general?
badmoonrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #45
Almostlover

Yeah I'm quite curious about the workload and stuff too. I received the acceptance letter after the HSS tea party was held, so in other words I didn't get to go
Old 05-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #46
Mooncake05

Mooncake05 has a neutral reputation

hi! i was just looking ard for some theads on linguistics and i saw this.
would like to ask, if its true that LMS is one of the more unknown and "cold" course in uni, in the sense that most would really hear much of it and not really choosing it as a major? i wonder how true is this?
Mooncake05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #47
fablegirl

Actually, in my opinion, I don't think ANY uni course in any of the local unis are "cold", seeing as many many people don't even get a place in any of the 3 and are desperate to get one.

For LMS, it is a new course. There aren't even any graduates from this course yet. So that may be why people don't really know about it. However, it doesn't mean no one applies for it. In my interview, I asked the prof about the popularity of the course and he said they do get quite a good number of applicants.

In fact, I know 4 people who want this course. Including me, that's five....and out of 60, 70 ppl- that's quite a bit, don't you think? (plus, I have a small social circle)
Old 05-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #48
Mooncake05

Mooncake05 has a neutral reputation

i see.. yeah actually thats true. given that it is a fairly new course. And what's more, one that is being offered by NTU only! thanks for the response! ooh, yeah one of my friend wants the course too! yesyes, lots of ppl are desperate to get into any course in uni!
anw, you're gonna be enrolled into linguistics this year? if you dont mind me asking?

Oh i've got another qns. Lets say, if i appeal for a course that i didnt put in my application as one of my choices, do you think it'll pass?
Mooncake05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #49
fablegirl

Yes. I'm going to NTU,LMS this aug...so are 2 of my friends. As for the other question...I don't think it matters. Though if there is an interview, I'll bet they'll ask why didn't you put down this choice in the first place. They will consider your application all over again for the second window... I think. It really depends on the amount of competition you have this year.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #50
Almostlover

yeah man, for my interview i was asked how come LMS was my fourth choice. and to the prof who interviewed me said that it seems to indicate a lack of passion and that's not what they want.

hi fablegirl my future coursemate