BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Australia
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #51
hippo

hippo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrek View Post
You will take the ISAT after you finished your uni applications around March.For PQA,you will be notified by the university.

You can choose when you want to take it as long as you are ready,but preferably a month after you apply. I think these details will be made known to you when you apply.

Yep,you apply for 2020 Feb admission if you apply in 2019. That means that if you are a girl, you have to wait for the following year in 2020. If you are a guy, you can defer your intake to the year when you finish national service to 2021.

I do not really know how the UK works but generally, people apply at 2019 for 2019 Sept admission. The UK process the application faster, it is like local uni + 1 month, so essentially you still apply in 2019 after the A levels.

Yeah UCAS is pretty narrow, you can only choose several school options, like I know that if you don't take A levels biology, you are definitely limited to a few options since most schools require it as pre-requisite.

I will advise you to do your best for A levels and don't worry too much about applying for medical schools now. The right time to worry about it is the time when you get back your A levels results. Know of cases where people messed up their A levels and get a couple of Bs and Cs,ending up in undergraduate medicine in Australia.

Hi hi.. thanks for explaining the mechanics.. now that I have an idea of timeline, I can put this aside and work on my As… stressed.
you mean even with B & Cs… they can still have a possible chance to get into med school ? I always thought I have to get my 4H2 A and 2 H1 As to even have a chance to be considered… anywhere in the world .. US is out as it is too far … Ideally, I hope I can have a shot locally as overseas do cost a lot of $$$$ … and it would place a lot of financial burden but its so competitive in Singapore… so .. for now , I just have to study really really hard..

thank you once again for your time !
hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #52
jedrek

jedrek has a neutral reputation

Yep,you can go through a foundation programme for 6/9 months,which is pretty easy to get into medical school,but the bottom line is that medical school isn't guaranteed because of the interviews. The programme works in a way to pull up your grades high enough to be eligible for medical school.

Don't think you need 4As to apply for medical schools in the world. Most Uk universities require 3H2 As and Australia is more relaxed where if you get AAB,it will put you at an advantage for medical schools. Another place you can look at is Ireland,it is a pretty nice place to do undergraduate medicine.

4As is good if you are considering of going to NUS medical school. Just do your best for As and don't give up your goals of becoming a doctor. I have seen a lot of people that gave up and end up going for business degree,etc.
jedrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #53
kengmin

kengmin has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Yep,you can go through a foundation programme for 6/9 months,which is pretty easy to get into medical school,but the bottom line is that medical school isn't guaranteed because of the interviews. The programme works in a way to pull up your grades high enough to be eligible for medical school.

Don't think you need 4As to apply for medical schools in the world. Most Uk universities require 3H2 As and Australia is more relaxed where if you get AAB,it will put you at an advantage for medical schools. Another place you can look at is Ireland,it is a pretty nice place to do undergraduate medicine.

4As is good if you are considering of going to NUS medical school. Just do your best for As and don't give up your goals of becoming a doctor. I have seen a lot of people that gave up and end up going for business degree,etc.
Agree with you. I am going Ireland this Sep 2018. Heard that it is a good place to study medicine. Not sure of the environment there and how rigourous the curriculum will be.

Last edited by kengmin; 03-10-2018 at 03:14 PM.
kengmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #54
jedrek

jedrek has a neutral reputation

The rigor of the curriculum should be less intense than the local universities in Sg.

I think it is good to do some attachment in Sg if you are planning to come back to Sg to work,since the system in both countries is pretty different. And generally Sg tends to be the harder place to get used to.
jedrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #55
kengmin

Quote:
The rigor of the curriculum should be less intense than the local universities in Sg.

I think it is good to do some attachment in Sg if you are planning to come back to Sg to work,since the system in both countries is pretty different. And generally Sg tends to be the harder place to get used to.
I do not have a biology background. Any preparatory work needs to be done before going over there to do medicine?
Old 03-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #56
hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengmin View Post
Agree with you. I am going Ireland this Sep 2018. Heard that it is a good place to study medicine. Not sure of the environment there and how rigourous the curriculum will be.

Congrats ! Can I know if you are from Singapore ?if so - how did u do for your As ? also for my own curiosity, was the interview process tough ? ty ! good luck in ireland !
Old 03-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #57
kengmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippo View Post
Congrats ! Can I know if you are from Singapore ?if so - how did u do for your As ? also for my own curiosity, was the interview process tough ? ty ! good luck in ireland !
I am from SG. I did IB. Interview was tough for me.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #58
hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengmin View Post
I am from SG. I did IB. Interview was tough for me.

congrats.you must have done very well for your IB exam. you did a Skype interview ? tough as in. they gruel u with unusual questions ?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:11 AM   #59
kengmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippo View Post
congrats.you must have done very well for your IB exam. you did a Skype interview ? tough as in. they gruel u with unusual questions ?
I had a face to face interview. Quite a tough session for me. The questions were not unusual, just that the interviewer did not accept my answers and I have to think of alternative solutions on the spot.