BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Private > Singapore Airlines
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
woonweiseng

woonweiseng has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to woonweiseng
Smile What can I do with SIA?

My number one choice if I want to apply for a scholarship would be with SIA, I'm really interested in joining them and all this because of a passion for aviation & geography. But I'm not sure about what I can do with SIA if I wish to join them. My subject combination is Chem Math Geog Econs, and I'm very keen in doing Geography in Uni. Am keen with stuff like route planning etc. but am not sure if that's what they're looking for.

Is there also some way for me to ask around beforehand about SIA so that I know what to expect if I wish to apply to them?

Thanks
woonweiseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
rolandd

rolandd has a neutral reputation

"All courses are considered except Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Biomedical, Biotechnology and Architecture."

But note that it's subject to SIA's approval.

They encourage you to read humanities, economics, political sciences, engineering and physical sciences and subjects that "give you a good grounding to be an airline professional."
rolandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
3a2b45

3a2b45 has a neutral reputation

I'm also keen on working for SIA. I would be applying for Accountancy, but I feel that its very hard to explain what I can bring to company and why I choose SIA based on my course, because its like, accounting can be for any company you see.

Any comments to share?

Thanks!
3a2b45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
a_p

a_p has a neutral reputation

At the end of the day, you do realise that what you learn in uni wont really be that important in your final job scope (for most degrees and most jobs anyway). I think what is most important is the experience of going through university. As an SIA open scholar when you come back, you will be appointed as an adminstrative officer, which basically means you will be doing all kinds of stuff, can range from marketing, finance to admin work. so i guess what you study isnt really that important. what is important is you must like what you are studying, and you might want to take a degree that you know will be marketable in the future even after leaving your scholarship company. Anyway of coz if ur looking at SIA engineering, you need an engineering couse of study.
a_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
xm105

xm105 has a neutral reputation

nicky,

please understand that SIA scholarships are extremely competitive, i have a singaporean friend with near perfect A level results(high school) and a pilot's licence who didn't even get called up for an interview.

the scholarship you're refering to sponsors undergrad studies, you seem to imply that you'll try for it after you've graduated from uni.

you don't have 8yrs of experience in aviation, you'll be spending 8yrs studying it. so unless your school has an agreement with SIA, you're gurranteed nothing.

only you can decide if your [8yrs and lots of money] is solely for the purpose of getting a SIA scholarship.

while its admirable to be ambitious and have a clear goal at such an early stage, i hope you don't pin everything on SIA.

p.s pprune is a pilots' forum, SIA scholarships are geared towards management/engineering. SIA has a cadet pilot program but its not an academic scholarship.

Last edited by xm105; 10-01-2009 at 08:34 AM.
xm105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
xm105

it means as a non-singaporean/pr/malaysian you don't qualify for the cadet pilot program. SIA does hire experienced expat pilots as direct entry captains, experienced meaning 10+yrs flying and thousands of hours.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
xm105

first and foremost, a high school graduate takes the SIA cargo scholarship for undergraduate studies. SIA cargo scholarship does not sponsor graduate studies.

as mentioned before, SIA scholarships are extremely competitive, you'll need stellar grades just to get invited to the interview, then you'll have to ace that. studying aviation for 8yrs demonstrates your commitment but that's about all it does. lots of singaporeans with perfect high school results did not get chosen for the interview. in singapore, grades are the first and most important factor, other stuff like volunteer work are used to choose between 2 perfect score applicants.

if you do get the scholarship, you'll end up an office worker, not a pilot.

SIA isn't the only aviation-related firm in the world.

if you spend a bit more time reading pprune, you'll notice that many pilots are doing non-flying jobs due to the lousy economy.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
xm105

the purpose of the scholarship is to groom management personnel. pilot recruitment is through another channel. you should get at least near perfect grades, and participate actively in lots of activities(need not be aviation related)

you still seem to miss the point that the scholarship is designed for high school grads going on to uni, not people who have already graduated from uni.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
xm105

ok this is going off topic

if you spend some time reading pprune you'll realize that having a pilot's licence does not mean you'll get a flying job. of course if you can get a cadet program, good for you. if not, as a 250hr CPL ME IR CFI, expect to instruct/dust crops/tow banners till fATPL+1000hrs before you have a shot at regional airlines flying turboprops. then at ATPL+3000hrs you can try for 737NG/A320 jobs. of course if you're not australian citizen/pr, forget about flying down under.

you face a very real possibility of not getting a flying job(at least in the near future) so consider what else you can do with a degree in aviation.

you should seek such advice on pprune.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Run

Run has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky7789 View Post
ok xm105, i understand what you mean. so your telling me to go to a normal uni, which is fine with me. What course do you recommend me to take in Uni then?
I think this is already mentioned earlier in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandd View Post
"All courses are considered except Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Biomedical, Biotechnology and Architecture."

But note that it's subject to SIA's approval.

They encourage you to read humanities, economics, political sciences, engineering and physical sciences and subjects that "give you a good grounding to be an airline professional."
Run is offline   Reply With Quote