BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #1
actuary

actuary has a neutral reputation
Default cass Msc actuarial management vs SMU MQF

Hi,guys.I really need help here.I both received offer from cass business school and Singapore management university. The offer from cass is Master of actuarial management while the other is master of quantitative finance. I have heard that the program in cass is famous and probably the best in U.K. but I am not sure whether it can help me secure a job in Singapore. While SMU may not be prestigious as cass business school but the career service is quite good. And master of quantitative finance can help me open more doors than actuarial science. I have interest in both.Can someone give me some opinion on both track in term of employment, reputation and career scope ?Much appreciated if anyone can reply!
actuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
thekang

thekang has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary View Post
Hi,guys.I really need help here.I both received offer from cass business school and Singapore management university. The offer from cass is Master of actuarial management while the other is master of quantitative finance. I have heard that the program in cass is famous and probably the best in U.K. but I am not sure whether it can help me secure a job in Singapore. While SMU may not be prestigious as cass business school but the career service is quite good. And master of quantitative finance can help me open more doors than actuarial science. I have interest in both.Can someone give me some opinion on both track in term of employment, reputation and career scope ?Much appreciated if anyone can reply!
Hi, employed actuary here (2 years work experience).

Those two degrees are for completely different paths.

CASS masters of actuarial management will help you to become an actuary, by helping you to study and obtain exemptions for the professional actuarial exams. This will help in employability as an actuary, but you will be treated the same as a fresh grad that has passed/exempted from actuarial exams. Probably useless outside the actuarial field.

I don't know much about the SMU masters in Quant Finance (wow just saw that it includes a stint at CASS in UK as well!), but QF in general relates to technical bank jobs dealing with programming and modelling. This is a highly competitive field, so I am not the right person to tell you about the prospects and employability.

Think carefully about what career you want to go for; both are niche jobs that are difficult to enter into.
thekang is offline   Reply With Quote