BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
BrightSparksAdmin
Administrator

BrightSparksAdmin has a neutral reputation
Default Does the university really matter? Or is there is a difference between local and overseas universities?

Yes, the university of course does matter. But more so, it depends on what an individual gets out of the experience. So a person who goes overseas but studies all day long or who cannot adjust, will definitely learn less than someone who goes local but participates fully in student life.

If you are talking about how employers feel, then of course it is sad but true that having a good brand name university matters a lot. Ivy leagues, Oxford, Cambridge are all top tier and naturally are valued by employers. But life is not all about rankings, so think carefully about it.
BrightSparksAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Sparks

Sparks has a neutral reputation

It's all a matter of choice. However, it would be better to enter universities that have a long history which are "tried and tested" (aka "old" universities). However, there is a need to be careful when deciding on overseas and local universities. Local employers, especially "old" companies still have an outdated mindset that local universities are the best, the best in Singapore but not in the world. In actual fact, local universities are still "average" as compared to their foreign counterparts. Hence, follow your heart..and do not base your decision purely on rankings or other indicators. There are always chances to prove yourself, no matter which university you are from.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

dershing has a neutral reputation
Default Overseas or local? Which is better?

Q : In terms of educational opportunities and learning experiences, is it better to study overseas?

A : As for overseas studies, it really depends on the individual. Put it this way, if you study locally and spend a lot of time of CCA's, developing your skills outside of school etc, you will be considered a good talent and your university days considered well spent. If you go overseas and just stay indoors all the time playing computer games, then the exposure will not be good.

of course all things equal, many employers do notice that students who study overseas tend to be more vocal , assertive and independent. But again this is just a general observation. There are also many many vocal, assertive and independent local graduates.
dershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
kyrii

kyrii has a neutral reputation

students often get the impression that studying overseas is better or more prestigious than studying in Singapore. not true. (and i study overseas, so this is not sour grapes!!! haha)

studying overseas is not the holy grail
. there are a lot of things you should consider before going overseas to study. adapting to different environment, different people, different culture. some days things get real crazy. let's just leave it at that for now
Old 03-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

kyrii, where are you studying?
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:38 AM   #6
kukubird

kukubird has a poor reputation

It's all about branding.

Think about the doors that a Harvard or MIT degree that are open to one which a NUS degree can never open.
kukubird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
BMSstudent

BMSstudent has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrii View Post
students often get the impression that studying overseas is better or more prestigious than studying in Singapore. not true. (and i study overseas, so this is not sour grapes!!! haha)

studying overseas is not the holy grail
. there are a lot of things you should consider before going overseas to study. adapting to different environment, different people, different culture. some days things get real crazy. let's just leave it at that for now
could u tell me more, because I am considering studying overseas 'if' I am not accepted into local uni, also what are the consideration in choosing an oversea uni preferably a Australia uni. Thanks for ur help.
BMSstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMSstudent View Post
could u tell me more, because I am considering studying overseas 'if' I am not accepted into local uni, also what are the consideration in choosing an oversea uni preferably a Australia uni. Thanks for ur help.
whats your intended major in Oz?
whats your consideration? since U have narrow it to Oz, I bet proximity is 1st on the list.
what are your other consideration?
- duration
- cost
- Singaporean/Asian Community
- Renown program
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
username.2

username.2 has a neutral reputation

universities confer their own degree. definitely the choice of university matters a GREAT DEAL!
________
marijuana strain strawberry cough

Last edited by username.2; 01-24-2011 at 05:33 AM.
username.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
username.2

username.2 has a neutral reputation

one other thing... different universities are good in different fields. example: a 6 years vet course at cambridge university is not accredited by the american veterinary board, but a vet course at murdoch university is. so do your homework accordingly.
________
K1200LT

Last edited by username.2; 01-24-2011 at 05:34 AM.
username.2 is offline   Reply With Quote