BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Rate My Chances!
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
Christina96

Christina96 has a neutral reputation
Default Private A-level applying for scholarships, going overseas

deleted deleted deleted

Last edited by Christina96; 02-06-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Christina96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:31 AM   #2
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

You certain you are short of 60k?
Which uni are you thinking of applying?
What is your Os like?
Is U.K. Your only option? Not considering other countries if you get to do your English degree at a lower cost?

NIE overseas scholarship is awared to a handful each year
To check out alumni profile try google "nie overseas scholarship linkedin"

Last edited by patryn33; 12-30-2016 at 12:54 AM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:34 AM   #3
Christina96

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
You certain you are short of 60k?
Which uni are you thinking of applying?
What is your Os like?
Is U.K. Your only option? Not considering other countries if you get to do your English degree at a lower cost?

NIE overseas scholarship is awared to a handful each year
To check out alumni profile try google "nie overseas scholarship linkedin"
Hi. My Os were 17 points L1R5. Not stellar but that was because secondary school had been a very hard time for me. English and combined science i had A2. From the calculations I am short in that amount, yes. But I know rates may change as years pass so it can only be approximately. I am thinking of applying to University of Birmingham. No I did not think of other countries as I had thought studying English in UK would be best and I had always wanted to study there. Australia I did consider but it seems to be even more expensive than UK now.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:32 AM   #4
patryn33

With UCAS you have 5 choices.

Birmingham cost £24k a yr today, 2yrs layers inflation will bring those numbers up. You are looking at sgd$150k. To be short if $60k, you have like sgd$90k already.
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Internat...ance/fees.aspx

English speaking countries is naturally the only option.

With U.K., going to wales uni is often cheaper, going to Bangor could save you ~£10k in just fees
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ings?s=english

Outside U.K., oz/Canada/USA offer to option to take summer schools. You could shorten your degree by 6-12mths, saving on living expenses. Of course oz degree is 3 yrs not direct honors unlike U.K.

Mun cost cad$19k today or total of sgd$90k; if you choose to load up on credits you maybe spending sgd$70k. Which you can afford and leave today. They don't req A for admissions
http://www.mun.ca/undergrad/apply/fees.php
Do well and you could be one of their many students who went on to oxford uni
http://www.mun.ca/english/students/profiles.php

Umn Morris is a LAC, cost a yr is usd$23k
https://www4.morris.umn.edu/admissio...tion-and-costs

Typical Private A level candidate wouldn't have great Os. It's Singapore after all Os is taken into consideration. Without great Os with great As the chances is very slim. You maybe the 1st but I have not come across any. I am sure our news will make such success stories very public.

Poly holders getting PSC scholarship or to medical path often appeared on papers. These poly holders opt to go poly despite having L1R5 of 6pts. If your Os like 10pts for L1R5 perhaps for overseas scholarship, if you going for Chinese degree you stand higher chance. You can always choose to break bond, no pt feeling terrified now. When you are offered with award and it's on your plate to decide then be terrified, now just too early

Last edited by patryn33; 12-30-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

A GPA of 2.85 is so low that it might not even be enough to get into a good overseas Uni, let alone a scholarship. And a 6-year bond for overseas scholarship is common.

Unless you can get a perfect set of grades for A-levels, that means all As for 4H2 and GP, then you will definitely not get an overseas scholarship.

Why not study locally? UniSIM has a degree in English as well which you might be able to get in with that GPA. Or if you do average for your A-levels, you will still be able to get into NUS/NTU to study English.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
Christina96

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok_ex View Post
A GPA of 2.85 is so low that it might not even be enough to get into a good overseas Uni, let alone a scholarship. And a 6-year bond for overseas scholarship is common.

Unless you can get a perfect set of grades for A-levels, that means all As for 4H2 and GP, then you will definitely not get an overseas scholarship.

Why not study locally? UniSIM has a degree in English as well which you might be able to get in with that GPA. Or if you do average for your A-levels, you will still be able to get into NUS/NTU to study English.
It is because UniSIM is a part-time degree which is not what I'm looking at. For A-levels and local scholarships, are the demands strictly straight As for 4H2 and GP? What about the PCS scholarship?
If I am in a private school with no CCA, will it affect my chances and will I be able to use my poly CCA achievement as a record? Are private candidates in a disadvantage then?
Old 12-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #7
patryn33

Even when uniSIM isn't what you want, there are NTU/NUS as mentioned.
A leadership role in poly CCA is what? If not doing things outside and not showing leadership out of school that isn't impressive.
A private candidate like yourself is already at a disadvantage.
Week O levels, week poly gpa. These overseas award goes to ppl with a string of stellar records. Screw up once due to family issue can explain things, good come back story. Just remember why would they give you the money when it's not hard for them to find a couple of dozens just like you

If you thinking of bank loan, consider ROI. I am sure the 90k comes from father/mother find.

Last edited by patryn33; 12-30-2016 at 11:18 PM.