BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Scholarships Application Process
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #121
heaven.on.earth

heaven.on.earth has a neutral reputation

Hey teddynuts,

I got called up for the IE Singapore preliminary interview. Can you share with me your experience and what type of interview it was?

Thank you
heaven.on.earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #122
teddynuts

teddynuts has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven.on.earth View Post
Hey teddynuts,

I got called up for the IE Singapore preliminary interview. Can you share with me your experience and what type of interview it was?

Thank you
About your strengths, weaknesses, successes, failures...make sure you review your entire portfolio and your experiences in each individual activity. Be prepared to use your portfolio to DEMONSTRATE evidence of your skillls...like leadership and teamwork.

Interview is 1-on-1...and is very very enjoyable (for me at least).
Old 04-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #123
Jefery714

Jefery714 has a neutral reputation

Thanks for updating this post regularly. This effort of yours is benefiting every one.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #124
teddynuts

Default To All Those with Queries

Dear Brightsparks Members,

Everyday, I receive numerous requests asking how is it like for (insert organization name) (insert round number) interview/assessment is like. As much as I like to help, I find the repetitive questions frustrating, so from now on, just post your queries on how interviews are like on this forum thread instead of PM so everyone can see it.

Honestly, most interviews are the same. You attend one and you get a pretty good idea how the rest will be like...really, how different can interviews be when they want to find out more about you?

So keep learning, and pursue your goals!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #125
lalabanana

lalabanana has a neutral reputation

Hello!

Thank you so much for being such an active contributor on this forum, helping out juniors (and peers) who are so much less experienced in dealing with scholarship applications.

I do have a burning question to ask: how important is being posted to ocs in scholarship applications? Like I've heard horror stories about seniors grilled about why they didn't make it in ocs when they are fully combat fit. Seems like it's a sign of weakness or a lack of "leadership capabilities" in NS.

Like for myself, I'm not really very into military stuff, and I don't think I stood out during my BMT (I'm POP-ing next week!!) and perhaps there's a healthy chance that I make it into SISPEC, it would be less likely that I'm going to OCS. I'm fully combat fit (PES A) so I don't really have a mitigating factor.

I've also heard that being an officer somehow affects a person's career trajectory, especially at the beginning of a person's career, especially in public service.

And if you don't mind, just wanted to ask about your personal experience in NS, and your opinions about this matter from the standpoint of a scholar.

Thank you so so much!
lalabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #126
teddynuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalabanana View Post
Hello!

Thank you so much for being such an active contributor on this forum, helping out juniors (and peers) who are so much less experienced in dealing with scholarship applications.

I do have a burning question to ask: how important is being posted to ocs in scholarship applications? Like I've heard horror stories about seniors grilled about why they didn't make it in ocs when they are fully combat fit. Seems like it's a sign of weakness or a lack of "leadership capabilities" in NS.

Like for myself, I'm not really very into military stuff, and I don't think I stood out during my BMT (I'm POP-ing next week!!) and perhaps there's a healthy chance that I make it into SISPEC, it would be less likely that I'm going to OCS. I'm fully combat fit (PES A) so I don't really have a mitigating factor.

I've also heard that being an officer somehow affects a person's career trajectory, especially at the beginning of a person's career, especially in public service.

And if you don't mind, just wanted to ask about your personal experience in NS, and your opinions about this matter from the standpoint of a scholar.

Thank you so so much!
IMO, leadership in NS is definitely important. It is good to show your leadership capabilities either as an officer or as a spec. However, it will not be the make or break of your application...unless you are applying to a uniformed service scholarship.

Generally, being an officer or spec can help you cover up your deficiencies if you lack leadership positions back in school previously, and it is usually well-respected when applying to overseas universities. However, you need to harness your experiences in NS leadership to show how it can be relevant to the scholarship organization (if you are looking at SAF scholarships then its needless to say).

However, not being in leadership school should not affect your chances severely. Perhaps it may warrant a question or two, and be honest about your circumstances (e.g. you are not into military stuff), but explain that you are still putting in effort to best yourself (thus qualifying for SISPEC perhaps)

Yes, the career trajectory is affected if you are in MINDEF or MHA. Otherwise, no it does not really affect your career...your university studies and results would affect more in the public service.
Hope that clarifies...let me know if you have any more queries
Old 04-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #127
skg

skg has a neutral reputation
Default Leadership in NS

Hi lalabanana,

Going to OCS or SCS (previously SISPEC) doesn't really matter. It's what you do with the rank and what you do in NS that counts. I'm speaking from the point of a newly-minted NSman, so my memories are still very fresh.

If you get to OCS, that's great, it's a good place to train, and you get exposed to many advanced concepts regarding leadership. It is more for the intelligentsia though (not implying anything here).

If you go to SCS, it's more technical, more 'on the ground', but depending on where you go, you can learn more than if you went to OCS (like a combat unit, e.g. 2SIR as a section commander) from hands-on experience. (Ex-section commander here fyi)

Scholarship organisations look for leadership, not officers, so even if you became a spec, you will easily be on an equal (or better) footing as compared to an officer if you can explain your leadership experiences in NS with poise. Try not to be a man (anything below 3SG) for the most part though, it would be harder to explain away (unless you personally directed/led a team etc which is very uncommon)
skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #128
girish

girish has a neutral reputation
Default Rsi

Hey TeddyNuts,
I am really interested in the RSI program and I really wish to try my best to go for it. I'm in IP4 now so I was just wondering about ur portfolio when u applie for the program. Did u have a great olympiad record, SSEF record, etc.?
girish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #129
KOBEL

KOBEL has a neutral reputation

Hey, teddynuts, you might have seen me around before. I'm your junior from HCI too. I'm considering going for the SPRING EDS scholarship; I have an interest in entrepreneurship and a place in SMU Law, and I'm keen to skip the "being a junior lawyer" part of getting a law degree, which involves too little work-life balance to be attractive, in favour of crossing over to the civil service as part of an organisation I believe in.

Unlike many other scholarships, SPRING doesn't explicitly exclude law. Do I stand a chance at the scholarship with these credentials, and if I do, which ones would you (or any other helpful forumer) advise me to emphasise, and which ones should I de-emphasise?

Academics:

H2 HCE+H1 Math+H3 History: AAA/A/Merit

GP+PW+MTL: A/A/C

Subject Prize Awards: H2 History (JC1), H1 Math (JC2)

HCI Diploma with Distinction

CCA/Extra-curricular:

Debate (member, participated in 3 open competitions but did not win)
HCJam/PA/AVA (member, combination of music club and PA/AVA, no significant achievement)
Creative Arts Programme (for promising young writers, was selected for and completed mentorship programme)

NS:

PES E; nothing spectacular.

CIP (45hrs):

Miscellaneous volunteer CIP for the most part, but 10.5hrs comes from a 2012 SL project I devised and led involving a 3-day day camp during the June holidays where the OT (5 people including me) taught underprivileged kids in a children's home music and story-crafting as well as entertained them.

Previous Scholarship/Programme Offers:

NTU: Nanyang Scholarship (History), USP
KOBEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #130
Summerfree

Summerfree has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddynuts View Post
Hey Guys, very quickly, it is the next scholarship application cycle, but the same advice still sticks for 2012-2013 Will regularly update this post! If you need to know my credentials , please refer to what I have been through below. I can comment best on these issues; for other issues, I can still advise to my best abilities but may not be as accurate. I have kept detailed records of the interviews I went through, so my advice for my following credentials can be quite useful. However, I will NOT release my interview records. IMPORTANT: This is not a self-inflating, egoistic post for me to boast. This is my sincere expression to help. So if you are gonna post some snide remark here, please do not. Thank You Credentials: Junior College: Agency for Science, Technology & Research A*STAR Junior College Science Award (awarded) Defence Science & Technology Agency DSTA Junior College Science Award (awarded) Singapore Police Force SPF Book Prize (awarded) Stanford Book Prize (top 8 finalist, did not make it to top 3) H3 NTU Numbers & Matrices (Math) H3 A*STAR-NTU-HCI Science Research Programme *EXCLUSIVE for JC 1* Massachusetts Institute of Technology Research Science Institute (6 weeks research attachment at MIT under full MOE sponsorship and support) Rickoid (I went, I saw, I had the best fun of my life) Scholarships (note: all scholarships applied for are overseas) Economic Development Board Scholarship (awarded and taking this up) Singapore Government Scholarship (Home Affairs) (awarded) Agency for Science, Technology & Research A*STAR National Science Scholarship (BSc & PhD) (awarded) Defence Science Technology Agency DSTA Undergraduate Scholarship (awarded) Spring Singapore Executive Development Scholarship (awarded) Singapore Tourism Board Scholarship ((interview first round then eliminated) Changi Airport Group Scholarship (interview first round then eliminated) IE Singapore Scholarship (cleared first interview, moving on to AC) GIC Finance Day (withdrawn from scholarship selection–not my cup of tea) University: US / UK Applications and Admissions US: Stanford!! Cornell University (Presidential Research Scholar) University of Michigan University of Illinois Urbana Champagn Carnegie Mellon University UK (MEng Computer Science G400): Imperial College London (conditional AAA and H3 Merit offer) University of Bristol (conditional AAA offer) University of Warwick (conditional AAA offer) University College London (UCL) (conditional AAA offer) NUS Early Admissions and Scholarship Applications [(firm offer WITH NUS UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP) NTU Early Admissions (firm offer) SUTD Admissions (firm offer WITH SUTD SCHOLARSHIP) Upon Request, my results and CCA records in brief: A Level Results: H2 PCM+KI: A H3 NTU Numbers & Matrices: Dist H3 A*STAR-NTU-HCI Science Research: Dist PW + MTL: A Prelim Results: H2 Physics: A H2 Chemistry: A H2 Mathematics: A H2 Knowledge Inquiry: B CCA Records: 1. Student Researcher at Institute for Infocomm Research, A*STAR 2. Webmaster & Outreach Officer for Hwa Chong CIP Executive Committee 3. Founding Head of Catholic High Alumni Youth Chapter (for full list, PM me)
Wow your results are great!
Can ask you a question?
I want to apply for AUS and NSS, must I have H3 results?
Any other scholarship require H3 result?
Thanks so much!
Summerfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a*star, applications, dsta, scholarships, teddynuts