BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Engineering, Research & Science-Related
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
StillStuckAtSec1

StillStuckAtSec1 has a neutral reputation
Default [QUESTION] Psychology in Singapore

Hey, I'm very interested in psychology, particularly it's research, but have long heard from people around me that the prospects in Singapore are bleak. I've checked out the two research institutions here in Singapore that offer scholarships -A*Star and DSTA -and it seems like neither of them are interested in psychological research. Since these are profit-oriented organisations, I doubt that they even support pure research, which I'm more interested in, as compared to applied research. And so i went on to find out about the research programmes in NUS, and got lost after some navigation.

Qns:
1) can someone direct me to the NUS psychology research programmes page, or educate me on the focus NUS FASS psychology is working towards?
2) Help me draw up a comparison between career prospects in research locally and overseas.
3) And in the case of choosing between UK and US, which is better and why.

Thanks alot!!
StillStuckAtSec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
StillStuckAtSec1

buuuuumpp....
Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

1) I'm not an FASS student, but this is what I understand of it: You don't major in psychology immediately, but you have to bid for different modules until the end of year 1, when you can declare your major.

Some NUS navigation help: go to the NUS FASS page here, quick jump to the Department of Psychology. From there, it should be pretty easy to look around. There's a link on the front page to research programmes offered to undergraduates.

2) I'm not sure about research psychology careers in Singapore; I think you'll have a much better chance overseas.

Generally, you need more than a bachelor's degree to do research though - perhaps Masters, or PhD. I'm not too sure on the specifications of that. So you wouldn't just be considering one university.

3) I strongly suggest doing your own research to weigh the pros and cons. What do you prioritise? UK is three years; US is four years. In US, you do other modules as well - in UK, I believe it is highly focussed on psychology. The environment is different, the cost is different... It depends on your grades, whether you want to take the extra tests for US entry, which universities you're comparing, etc. It depends on the person.

Edit to add: if you want to do pure research, I would suggest academia, which definitely means a postgrad/PhD.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Last edited by Haecceity; 01-22-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
StillStuckAtSec1

Quote:
3) I strongly suggest doing your own research to weigh the pros and cons. What do you prioritise? UK is three years; US is four years. In US, you do other modules as well - in UK, I believe it is highly focussed on psychology. The environment is different, the cost is different... It depends on your grades, whether you want to take the extra tests for US entry, which universities you're comparing, etc. It depends on the person.
erm. those are some education system differences. What about the opportunities to do research? Maybe, the flexibility in choosing from a wide range of research topics, or even pioneering in a new kind of research, etc? The exchange of ideas, culture in the academic circles etc?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
wenee

wenee has a neutral reputation

From what i know, UK and US taught the same range of topics just that US has more hands-on practicals. Regarding the research part, research in psychology is not that common. Most researchers are psychologists and hence have some personal experience with clients before they move on to doing research.
In NUS, there are 2 level 2000 modules in psychology that do with research. Both of them are statistical methods on carrying out psychology research and the analysis. They are not as simple as they seem like. In addition, in Singapore, prospects of doing research in the psy field is not exactly very good. Unless you are professor in the university, it's really difficult to excel in this area (mostly due to lack of funding for research).
wenee is offline   Reply With Quote