BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Medicine, Dentistry & Healthcare
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
dslitemylove

dslitemylove has a neutral reputation
Default Please help ? (: appreciated.

Hello Brightsparks.com

I'm new to this forum.(:

Hmm this yr I will be having my O levels.
I took E-maths,A-maths,Chinese-B3,English,Combined Sci (Phy/chem),Combined humanities.

I always wanted to study in a medicine school... (SG/ or either in Australlian Universities...

So in order to enter a medicine school, going to Junior colleges the only way?
So what combination/subjects must I take in Alevels to be able to enter a medicine school (Overseas in aus/locally)?

-Clueless O'level student-
dslitemylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

Hi,

great to see someone thinking about their options so early!

Well, I don't know of anyone getting into NUS Med with a poly diploma - there's no mention of a poly diploma in the minimum subject requirements for NUS Med. You'll need to have taken H2 Chem and H2 Bio or H2 Physics for A levels and attained a pass. So I think a JC would be the safest/most common path.

For Australia medicine, a brief check seems to suggest that Chemistry is recommended as a subject pre-requisite.

Hope this helps, and good luck
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

There are students admitted through the polytechnic route but very very few. Less than 5 per year. So JC is still the safer and easier route.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
GSC1989

GSC1989 has a neutral reputation

I do not have the definite statistics on the actual number of polytechnic admits to NUS medicine, but I am able to confirm that there is a very small amount of people that succeeded applying through the Exceptional Individual Scheme.

Ngee Ann Polytechnic created history by having two students being admitted to NUS medicine in 2007, and Singapore Polytechnic just had its very first polytechnic student entering NUS medicine in the last admissions cycle (just a few months back).

I do know of top biomed diploma graduates that were keen on pursuing a medicine course however. Most of them took the route of a biomed-related degree and are planning to do a graduate medicine course later on.

For the moment, it is still wiser and safer to choose the JC path if you're keen on medicine (for that matter, law and dentistry as well).
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Forum viewers and users should be aware that there is a need to process and extract relevant information from posts objectively especially when opinions are involved.
GSC1989 is offline   Reply With Quote