BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Scholarships Application Process
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #51
ObsidianShades

ObsidianShades has a neutral reputation

Just got informed that I'm down for NTU college scholarship interview.
-goes into panic mode-
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! X_X

(gosh I feel so unprepared. I thought I zero chance alr; I had forgotten to submit a testimonial during the scholarship application phase LOL)
ObsidianShades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #52
muggermaniac

muggermaniac has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianShades View Post
Just got informed that I'm down for NTU college scholarship interview.
-goes into panic mode-
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! X_X

(gosh I feel so unprepared. I thought I zero chance alr; I had forgotten to submit a testimonial during the scholarship application phase LOL)
all the best!! and since you didn't submit your testimonial, be prepared to be grilled on that (your achievements, qualities etc.)
muggermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #53
loryer

loryer has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie15 View Post
Any seniors here who have been to the NUS GMS scholarship interview before and care to share their experiences?
I went for the GMS interview last year, based on my application for NUS Law and Business DDP. Wouldn't say it's much different from other scholarship interviews. I don't recall if it was a 3-to-1 or 4-to-1 interview, but it started out pretty relaxed, the interviewers took turns to ask questions about my interests in law and business. Then they went on to question my opinions on certain issues and other basic questions like which business person I hold in esteem. I guess they basically want to see your thinking process and if you can present a logical case, as well as your interests of course.

All the best! You are still eligible for faculty scholarships if you miss the GMS.

Last edited by loryer; 05-13-2010 at 09:12 AM.
loryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #54
winnie15

winnie15 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by loryer View Post
I went for the GMS interview last year, based on my application for NUS Law and Business DDP. Wouldn't say it's much different from other scholarship interviews. I don't recall if it was a 3-to-1 or 4-to-1 interview, but it started out pretty relaxed, the interviewers took turns to ask questions about my interests in law and business. Then they went on to question my opinions on certain issues and other basic questions like which business person I hold in esteem. I guess they basically want to see your thinking process and if you can present a logical case, as well as your interests of course.

All the best! You are still eligible for faculty scholarships if you miss the GMS.
Hey thankyou for the reply! I was just wondering if they'd purposely grill the candidates in an intense setting, but I guess that differs from interviewers to interviewers too Thanks once again!
winnie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #55
WE:D

WE:D has a neutral reputation

Hi all

I was wondering when is the latest NUS scholarship would give you a chance to interview. I haven't got a call or notification for interview and I am extremely anxious now.
Could it be that my results are not good enough for a chance to interview?

H2 Physcis: A
H2 Chem : A
H2 Maths : A
H1 Econs : A
H1 GP : C
H3 Maths : Merit

Thanks in advance!!!
WE:D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #56
colourpencils

colourpencils has a neutral reputation

hey! I was offered college scholarship for NTU this year. May I just enquire that if I accept the scholarship this year, can I still reject it the following year? Because I would like to try out for the PSC scholarship later this year/the following year. : Can anyone kindly clarify this pls?
colourpencils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #57
mao1990

mao1990 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourpencils View Post
hey! I was offered college scholarship for NTU this year. May I just enquire that if I accept the scholarship this year, can I still reject it the following year? Because I would like to try out for the PSC scholarship later this year/the following year. : Can anyone kindly clarify this pls?
Of course you can. However, there may be some consequences upon rejecting the scholarship (e.g. liquidated damages etc). For my friend who had withdrawn his letter of offer which he had signed last yr, he had to pay a compensation of $1000. Hence, you may wanna check the letter of offer that you had received on such terms and conditions.
mao1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #58
zelynn

zelynn has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mao1990 View Post
Of course you can. However, there may be some consequences upon rejecting the scholarship (e.g. liquidated damages etc). For my friend who had withdrawn his letter of offer which he had signed last yr, he had to pay a compensation of $1000. Hence, you may wanna check the letter of offer that you had received on such terms and conditions.
$1000? I thought it's a lot more. Well bad case to be stuck in such a situation. Think carefully before you act. There's still 10 more days?
zelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #59
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

Yeah, when I asked a friend if he wanted to reject the scholarship he was offered, he said he would have to pay $1000 to break it, even though they hadn't sponsored him for university yet.

If you break it partway through, when they've sent you overseas, or break your bond, it'll definitely be a lot more.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #60
mao1990

mao1990 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE:D View Post
Hi all

I was wondering when is the latest NUS scholarship would give you a chance to interview. I haven't got a call or notification for interview and I am extremely anxious now.
Could it be that my results are not good enough for a chance to interview?

H2 Physcis: A
H2 Chem : A
H2 Maths : A
H1 Econs : A
H1 GP : C
H3 Maths : Merit

Thanks in advance!!!
]

Hi WE

Actually your grades are very commendable, however your gp seemed to be quite a flaw for your academic grades. I had friend who could not even pass the 1st stage of psc interview just because he got a b for his gp, provided that he had straight As with 2 H3 Distinction.

But... that depends on the university course you are looking at. If you are applying to the college of engineering or science, your grade will definitely stand out and shldn't be a problem for the 1st round interview
mao1990 is offline   Reply With Quote