BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Private > Private Scholarships General Discussion
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
samkoh

samkoh has a neutral reputation
Default has anyone applied for the SPH journalism scholarship before?

Hi, i would like to know if anyone has applied for the scholarship before, and if so, how is the experience like? e.g interview, tests..
samkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

Hi Sam,

I'm afraid I can't answer your question... The SPH scholarship is one of the lesser known ones so I doubt you will get a reply from someone who has applied before. However, more scholarship application processes are quite similar. You should expect a HR interview, some writing tests, and a final board interview at least.

Here's a link to more info:
http://www.sph.com.sg/career/journalism.html
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
DukeBlue

DukeBlue has a neutral reputation

Hi Sam, I know this response comes three months late (!), so it may well be too late for you. However, I'm still answering this question for future readers of this thread.

I did apply for the SPH journo overseas scholarship way back in 2003. There is, appropriately, a written test. You have to write an essay (quite like GP) as well as take some grammar/punctuation tests: read a passage and spot all the spelling/grammar mistakes, MCQs where you have to complete the sentence with the grammatically correct answer, etc. Then on a later day there is an interview where I was, unsurprisingly, asked about current events (and my opinion on some of the current issues) as well as more philosophical questions on the role of journalists/the press in society. They may also ask you the usual "why journalism?" and other such questions to see that you've thought things through and are sure of your choice--as sure as you can be at this stage in life, anyway.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
samkoh

Haha..yeah, I applied for it..but got rejected after the interview.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
DukeBlue

I'm sorry to hear that
Still, if you'd like to share how the SPH process was like, I'm sure future readers of this thread will be very thankful.
(My own SPH experience was 6 years ago, so things might've changed).
Old 04-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
legendary

legendary has a neutral reputation

at least you made it up till the interview. they didn't even call me up for a written test or an interview. just a plain and simple rejection ...
legendary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
samkoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBlue View Post
I'm sorry to hear that
Still, if you'd like to share how the SPH process was like, I'm sure future readers of this thread will be very thankful.
(My own SPH experience was 6 years ago, so things might've changed).
hmm..the written test comprised of an essay, and the topics were somewhat similar to those tested in GP. Then there was a summary, and a passage which required editing. Oh, and there was a section that required you to suggest a title for an article.
As for the interview..guess I majorly screwed it up. But they did ask why I wanted to pursue journalism.
Hope all these helps..haha
Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
samkoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary View Post
at least you made it up till the interview. they didn't even call me up for a written test or an interview. just a plain and simple rejection ...
oh well..guess competition is stiff.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
legendary

legendary has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkoh View Post
oh well..guess competition is stiff.
I have reason to believe my outright rejection had more to do with the poor presentation of my application form, rather than my grades. Well, to all you SPH journo scholar wannabes out there, here's what you should NOT do :
  • use an envelope that is half the size of A4, and fold your app form in half
  • write in untidy handwriting
  • photocopy supporting documents with poor alignment, and on yellow printing paper
  • forget to indicate 'SPH undergraduate scholarship' on the envelope
  • list in an unorderly fashion, e.g. 'General Paper H1' followed by 'H1 Mathematics' in the subsequent column
legendary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
DukeBlue

Good advice! Being conscientious counts.
Though it doesn't have to be totally crisp & perfect. I submitted mine, folded, in a half-A4 envelope; they did give me the scholarship in the end, so I don't think they mind the folding. However, yes the app should be neatly typed out (or neatly written out).

Tags
scholarship, sph