BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Engineering, Research & Science-Related
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #31
spencer

spencer has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanerdung View Post
Are the ST3XXX courses for second or third year?

I'm terribly confused.

courses like ST4238 Stochastic Processes 2 are very useful.
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:17 AM   #32
GSC1989

GSC1989 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
No... Are you sure Level 2000 = First yr, level 3000 = Second year and level 4000 = Third year?
Reason I replied "sort of" was to simplify things so that it can be compared relative to other university systems. NUS doesn't have a fixed order or structure for students to undertake when designing their own course structure, which is why it may be confusing. (i.e year 2 students can do level 4000 modules, it just depends on whether said student bids for the module) The higher level modules mostly require pre-requisites though. From what I know of, not all level 4000 modules require 3000 prereqs.

Requirements to graduate from NUS programmes generally involves one to complete XX amount of level 3000 and 4000 modules.
GSC1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #33
spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1989 View Post
Reason I replied "sort of" was to simplify things so that it can be compared relative to other university systems. NUS doesn't have a fixed order or structure for students to undertake when designing their own course structure, which is why it may be confusing. (i.e year 2 students can do level 4000 modules, it just depends on whether said student bids for the module) The higher level modules mostly require pre-requisites though. From what I know of, not all level 4000 modules require 3000 prereqs.

Requirements to graduate from NUS programmes generally involves one to complete XX amount of level 3000 and 4000 modules.
It's kinda funny. So why they bother to put it as Level {1,2,3,4}000. I asked Yanshou about this as well and it now seems like Level 1000 maps approx to first yr, Level 2000 approx to second yr. Level 4000 is there because there's an Honours Year, which is optional.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #34
cleanerdung

cleanerdung has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer View Post
It's kinda funny. So why they bother to put it as Level {1,2,3,4}000. I asked Yanshou about this as well and it now seems like Level 1000 maps approx to first yr, Level 2000 approx to second yr. Level 4000 is there because there's an Honours Year, which is optional.
the first number of the module code is an indicator of the difficulty level.
year 1 students usually take both 1XXX and 2XXX modules, and sometimes even 3XXX modules (especially for poly grads with exemptions). level 1XXX are usually foundation/exposure modules, some of which might overlap with a-level syllabus. it is rare for students to do 1XXX modules entirely for the whole of first year. besides, iirc, there are level 2XXX that are "reserved" for freshmen during bidding (not sure if this practice is still in place). it is not uncommon for non-honours students to take level 4XXX modules.

Last edited by cleanerdung; 06-01-2009 at 10:27 AM.
cleanerdung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #35
spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanerdung View Post
the first number of the module code is an indicator of the difficulty level.
year 1 students usually take both 1XXX and 2XXX modules, and sometimes even 3XXX modules (especially for poly grads with exemptions). level 1XXX are usually foundation/exposure modules, some of which might overlap with a-level syllabus. it is rare for students to do 1XXX modules entirely for the whole of first year. besides, iirc, there are level 2XXX that are "reserved" for freshmen during bidding (not sure if this practice is still in place). it is not uncommon for non-honours students to take level 4XXX modules.
OK thanks! For stats students they should aim to take mostly 3XXX courses by second year.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #36
billthegeek

billthegeek has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by go0dbye View Post
I heard that with a math degree, it actually allows us to venture into the finance sector. However, may I ask from the employer 's point of view, is a maths degree graduate less attractive than a business degree graduate?
since both are general degrees, I suppose both graduates are paid almost equally?
Yes, you can become a quantitative analyst with a PhD in Math. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_analyst
billthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #37
eduprom

eduprom has a neutral reputation
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by questions View Post
any idea what are the career possibilities with a degree in maths / mathematical sciences besides teaching?? :S
besides teaching, it seems that most of people I know ended up a teacher.
. Sorry if this threatens you.

Clearly, one batch ended up mathematicians, most of who works at university.

others go financial or econ field.Mostly modelling , analysing, playing game theory.

rest engineering field, programming,engineering analysis etc.

You are right math is quite tough for a swinger. after all, it is you who makes your move.
eduprom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #38
go0dbye

go0dbye has a neutral reputation

Hi all,

I am recent graduate from Nus applied mathematics.

To answer some of your questions, applied maths and pure maths are ALMOST similar, maybe just differ in one or two modules but if u wanna be a teacher, a pure maths major will command a higher pay than a applied maths teacher

Module wise,There is no restriction for level 1000 for year ones and level 2000 for year 2, it all depends on prerequisites, so you have to check cors and plan your uni education properly

Btw Nus maths face very steep bell curve in school ,because there are proportionately higher number of PRC students being a maths major
If I'm not wrong Ntu split 2 bell shapes between Singaporeans and foreigners, so generally Ntu maths student can score better than a Nus maths student. Like they can easily score a second lower honors and Nus will be forced to graduate with a pass/merit degree.

My only regret is choosing applied maths as my major as I faced many difficulties when finding a job. VERY few job requirements will state they require maths major, even a bank job. I took 2 months securing a job whereasy biz major friends could easily land a job within month. Oh btw, most of my maths major friends are doing things NOT related to maths, including me.
If I can ever choose again, I would nv choose my major to be maths, or at least not in Nus (kind of regret rejecting Ntu few years back lol)

Ps: I am speaking from a very-average-maths-major student point of view
Ps: if my answer is incoherent pls pardon me as I am typing this at work
go0dbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #39
pearl

pearl has a neutral reputation

Hi,

May I know what job you are doing currently then?
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #40
go0dbye

go0dbye has a neutral reputation

Hi pearl,

I'm working as a marketing executive now. The good thing about getting a general degree is finding a non related job.
go0dbye is offline   Reply With Quote