BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Medicine, Dentistry & Healthcare
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
chipmunks3

chipmunks3 has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to chipmunks3
Default Any idea where to obtain a dental degree overseas?

Hi, hope some kind souls can help to clear some doubts and answer my question?

First of all, I would like to know what other overseas uni offering dentistry in early jan 2010 or best in 2009?

Secondly, I am a NSF completing national service in early march, however is quite unsuccessful in getting into a dental school. I have applied to uni of melbourne before, but rejected. My grades are 4 As, GP B4, PW 2, Maths S paper Merit. Any advice?

Thirdly, I came from a humble background, with my mother being the sole breadwinner, my father has passed away. so my financial ability is limited but I am very keen in dental studies. Any advice, be it loan or cheap but good degrees that I should apply to?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Sorry to hear about your situation. Dental studies overseas are generally expensive. There is no cheaper alternative than at NUS because it is very heavily subsidised (and it comes with a bond).

Your grades are good enough, and were you shortlisted for NUS before? If you haven't been shortlisted before, please apply again this year. It is hard to get into a dental school overseas because of the small intake quota they have for foreign students. I am not sure if there are loans that you can take, because a dental degree overseas will cost you 400k SGD in tuition fees alone. Banks will loan the money if you can come up with guarantors, and show proof that you are able to pay the money back.

If you take a 20 year bank loan at 6% interest p.a (or whatever the prevailing rate), the interest alone will kill you. There is no scholarship available to fund dental studies overseas. There is but one scholarship that offers for Dentistry - the NUS Undergrad Merit Scholarship.

I wish I can help you more. Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
chipmunks3

chipmunks3 has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to chipmunks3

I have been shortlisted before and I just screwed up my interview so I am contemplating overseas education.

I heard about hong kong university being a good uni which has a relatively cheap tuition fees of 100000 HKD per year of study
Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

HKU takes in 40+ dental students per year. No. of places for foreigners.... maybe 5? You can try.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote