BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Rate My Chances!
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
reebokvintage

reebokvintage has a neutral reputation

ya. for example ntu biz has AAA/B but since they assume pw and gp to be C, i got in last year with ABB/A pw A gp B. AAA/B pw & gp C =83.75 pts my grades ABB/A pw A gp B also equals 83.75. so its better if u look at rank points.
reebokvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
demonstrative

demonstrative has a neutral reputation

hi. May i know if the universities exercise admission using the IGP or UES?
demonstrative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

Probably UAS, since for IGP, GP and PW are considered C, which is rarely the case.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Last edited by Haecceity; 03-08-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
Haecceity

Note:
For NIE, try this link instead: http://www.nie.edu.sg/studynie/admis...rmation-bachel
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #15
Macarto

Macarto has a neutral reputation

Are Courses that are marked with an Asterisk competitive courses?
Macarto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
ObsidianShades

ObsidianShades has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarto View Post
Are Courses that are marked with an Asterisk competitive courses?
In a way, i suppose. you need to pass an interview/write an essay as well to get into the course/faculty.
ObsidianShades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #17
Haecceity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianShades View Post
In a way, i suppose. you need to pass an interview/write an essay as well to get into the course/faculty.
I agree. There are additional selection tests you need to pass (or you may need to submit a portfolio). Whether you need to write an essay or not depends on the course.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #18
ObsidianShades

ObsidianShades has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstrative View Post
hi. May i know if the universities exercise admission using the IGP or UES?
For NUS, it's based on the score.
"2. How are A-level graduates considered for admission?

Admission to the University is based on an applicant’s University Admission Score (UAS) comprising the grades of six A-level subjects as follows:
• Best three H2 and one H1 content-based subjects, with at least 1 content subject to be from a contrasting discipline
• General Paper (GP) or Knowledge and Inquiry (KI)
• Project Work (PW)

The best Mother Tongue Language (MTL) subject grade (e.g. H1 MTL or O-level higher MTL) will be considered only if the candidate provides the result for consideration. The University will include it in the scoring only if it raises the competitiveness of the candidate."

^from their website's faq
http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/specialpro...ramme-faq.html
ObsidianShades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #19
jjx

jjx has a neutral reputation

Mod-copied for relevance. Original post here.

No worries. I understand how you feel. Let me clarify a few points:

1) The reason why I say its up to you whether u want to apply NUS is because u started the thread with NTU. So I'm assuming that NUS is your second consideration.

2) The second point here is regarding your q of "I wonder whether it pays to apply DA if there is a possibility that I may be disadvantaged if I apply".

Here is sth about the application of DA. This is solely based from my own experiences for NUS and NTU and what I think personally about DA ( not on the webbie or from NUS). There are three scenarios that I will portray to help u understand the basic process of DA and mainstream applicants.

On this three scenarios, we must ASSUME that NUS chem engin is the first choice.

First Scenario: You apply DA BUT your Academic Results meet the basic criteria to get into NUS. Automatically, u get NUS Chem Engine regardless of DA or not. Usually, this grp of ppl ah they will get their replies of acceptance from NUS quite early de.

Second Scenario: Your CCAs/Achievements are NOT regarded enough for NUS Chem engine to reconsider u as a DA applicant.

In this case, they will automatically see u as a NORMAL Applicant applying at NUS Chem engine. HOWEVER, You apply DA BUT your Academic Results do not meet the basic criteria to get into NUS.

Hence, you failed both criteria to meet your first choice. They will relook for your second choice. Now the loop may or may not repeat depending on your SECOND choice. they may no longer consider u as an DA applicant at all or they may. This is really up to them whether they think the achievements is relavant. One thing of question even to my understanding is the standards set for DA admissions.( Is it across the board or diff for diff faculty) no one knows.

In this case, you are also not at disadvantage because they already consider you as a NORMAL applicant and rejected the DA part. So if u r good enuff ACADEMICALLY for your second choice, you will still get it tgt with the other ppl quite quickly.

Third Scenario ( THIS IS THE TRICKY ONE) ( Which i happened to be in): You apply DA BUT your Academic Results DO NOT meet the basic criteria to get into NUS.

HOWEVER,your CCAs/Achievements under DA are GOOD enough for NUS Chem engine to reconsider u as a DA applicant.

OK, now for this case, usually the applicants like me need to wait SUPER DUPER long for a reply. These applicants that are considered will need to wait for the NORMAL MAINstream ones to get their places first ( probably then they can gauge how many DA ones they can accept).

HENCE, the shortcoming is the waiting time, super long and super tiring ( imagine not knowing your fate... when all ur frens get their results). HA

Once they done, with the mainstream ones... that will be like 2-4 weeks i guess before the final closing date to accept your uni. THE RESPECTIVE FACULTY WILL CALL U DOWN PERSONALLY for interviewing. Thats when u prove yourself.

OK, assume you go interview, two things can happen to u right? ACCEPTED OR REJECTED For NUS CHEM ENGINE. Accepted, very easy u get your place for your first choice. REJECTED HOW? This is tricky. RMB i just now say i assume this is your First CHOICE ( NOT 2nd, 3rd.....). Now, they will see your second choice from another separate faculty. you can fall into SCENARIO 2 or 3 again. HOWEVER, if they fall u back into scenario 3 again, I REALLY Dunno whether you got enuff time to repeat the process mah, since its already quite late le.

For all this scenarios, Scenario 1 is common sense. Scenario 3 is what happened for me at NTU and NUS ba. But for NTU, they accepted me straight away without interview ( prob they put me under mainstream too since i satisfy their Academic part already, so DA doesnt matter).

Last edited by Haecceity; 03-15-2010 at 12:39 PM.
jjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #20
rui

rui has a neutral reputation

Updated the first post. Combined all the information together for easy access and referencing.

http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/sho...47&postcount=1

Last edited by rui; 03-14-2010 at 12:42 PM.
rui is offline   Reply With Quote