BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Business, Accountancy & Finance
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
thebuzzjam

thebuzzjam has a neutral reputation
Default Career paths for Business and Economics degree?

Hi, I just received my A level results and I would like to apply for a Business or Economics degree in either of the 3 local universities. I would like to know:

What are the career/job prospects for these 2 degrees?
Would it be hard to get a job in the future with these degrees as they are considered to be general in nature?

Thanks!
thebuzzjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:27 AM   #2
tay18

tay18 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuzzjam View Post
Hi, I just received my A level results and I would like to apply for a Business or Economics degree in either of the 3 local universities. I would like to know:

What are the career/job prospects for these 2 degrees?
Would it be hard to get a job in the future with these degrees as they are considered to be general in nature?

Thanks!
I'm wondering the same thing for biz too but i guess as a fresh grad you will start with low paying entry level jobs then slowly move up? like clerical tasks event planning and such? but the salary.sg website paints a rosy picture of starting pay 3K+ so i dunno which is true
tay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:12 AM   #3
VIPR

VIPR has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tay18 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing for biz too but i guess as a fresh grad you will start with low paying entry level jobs then slowly move up? like clerical tasks event planning and such? but the salary.sg website paints a rosy picture of starting pay 3K+ so i dunno which is true
Why is events planning considered clerical?!
VIPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
tay18

tay18 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPR View Post
Why is events planning considered clerical?!
hahhah as in i meant event panning, clerical tasks and such
tay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
melikovnazhmuddin

melikovnazhmuddin has a neutral reputation

Given the analytical nature and diversity of the discipline, economics provides a solid background for many jobs and professions. The study of economics also offers excellent preparation for advanced education in business, law, economics, finance, public policy, international relations, and medicine. A bachelor's degree in economics is sufficient for many entry-level research, administrative, consulting and management trainee jobs. However, to work as an "economist" one generally has to have an advanced degree. Candidates for a graduate degree in economics should have a strong mathematics background with courses in differential, integral, and vector calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, statistics and econometrics. Graduate training is required for some positions and for more rapid advancement.
melikovnazhmuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
JensenDrake2

JensenDrake2 has a neutral reputation

Economics and business students typically have good commercial awareness; one of the qualities highly sought after by recruiters. What is more, they are able to effectively apply their knowledge of industries to the job.

Whether you want to know what your options are, or whether you are looking for alternative careers you can find some ideas here.

This guide should help you think about the skills you have, the jobs they can be applied to, and the options available.

Over the last three or so years, you should have gained the following skills:

Analytical ability
communication skills
understanding figures
problem solving
ability to think logically
presentation skills
report writing skills.
One of your options is to join a scheme with one of the big graduate recruiters. These will often provide professional training as well as experience and a decent salary.

You could also pursue the less obvious opportunities with SMEs (small and medium sized enterprises). If you’re particularly entrepreneurial you might even consider starting up your own business.