BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Private > Private Scholarships General Discussion
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
ChickenWingz

ChickenWingz has a neutral reputation
Default Scholarships for bio-related courses?

Thinking of doing life science in NUS, and then go on to postgraduate studies.
Right now, only A*STAR and NUS scholarships seems viable to me. But I wouldn't want to confine myself to only these two choices, so what scholarships are there that supports a bio course and a research career, with short or no bond? Thanks!
ChickenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
pokkaGT

pokkaGT has a neutral reputation

A*star not diverse enough? haha. I'm pretty sure the 2 are the only local ones. NEA/PUB/MEWR also showed up in my search but they are water-related. I also tried searching for private research centres but there are none.

Keep in mind that the route to be a researcher can be very long and hard. That's why most (and there are plenty) scholarships and fellowships are only available at the Ph.D level.
pokkaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
ChickenWingz

ChickenWingz has a neutral reputation

A*STAR is my first choice of course. I'm determined to go the research path, and most likely would do a Ph.D. Was just kind of worried that I may not get the A*STAR scholarship, so in case I do not get it, will be considering other scholarships as well.

Thanks for the info. I looked into PUB, NEA and AVA, but they are not so focused on research and their bond is very long. Do you know of any pharmaceutical or biomedical companies that offer undergraduate scholarships? Maybe I could apply for a university or A*STAR graduate scholarship after serving the bond.
ChickenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
fortatlantic

fortatlantic has a neutral reputation

If I'm not wrong, Novartis offers a local scholarship although this is offered under the Singapore Industry Scholarship (SgIS). And I think other organizations like Applied Materials also offer science-related scholarships under SgIS.

As for pharmacy, there is RMG and MOH although they are more healthcare related. But at MOH I think there are opportunities for biomedical-related research since they do collaborate with A*STAR.

Alternatively, you can also try the NSL Scholarship which lists science as one of their fields of study.
fortatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
JensenDrake2

JensenDrake2 has a neutral reputation

Many companies, universities, foundations and organizations offer financial aid and research opportunities for students interested in biology. The scholarships listed in this article make up only a few of the free-money options of which biology majors may take advantage. CollegeScholarships.org lists scholarship options for a number of majors, including biology. Established in 1999, the site is an independent, women-run resource providing free information on a wide variety of scholarships.