BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Medicine, Dentistry & Healthcare
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:16 PM   #1
JakeC

JakeC has a neutral reputation
Default Postgraduate Medicine

Hello there.
Through pure serendipity, I was the only recruit in my coy that was placed in the medic vocation post-BMT in NS. I've always had an interest in practicing medicine (not due to asian parent persuasion) but lacked the academic qualifications to pursue this dream.

I am a current student in SIM-UOW pursuing my degree in Psychology and will be doing my honors in a year's time. I do not have an A-level background and I understand that i'll have to obtain a minimum 2nd class Hons and clear my MCAT first before looking at prospective unis.

-What are my options if I want to pursue a postgraduate medicine course in Singapore/Australia/NZ and what are my chances of securing a slot in Duke-NUS?

-I understand from the doctor who was in charge of me during NS that Duke-NUS is a very research-centric course and advised me to look at other unis if that was not my cup of tea.

-I want to be practice medicine. What are the better schools i can choose from? Some options include Sydney U, Melb U, Queensland U, Western Aus U, Flinders, Aus National U.

-Are there any scholarships out there for postgrad med?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Jake

Last edited by JakeC; 04-21-2015 at 03:40 AM.
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
lee7stc

lee7stc has a neutral reputation
Default Postgraduate Medicine Schools

Hi Jake,

Medicine is a life long career. Admissions into med schools is tough. Surviving in med school is even tougher. You must be absolutely sure this is the career you want for the rest of your life.

It is not easy to pursue medicine overseas. First it is the high cost involved. Second, most countries will reserve the very limited places for their own nationalities. It will be a challenge to get scholarships and then residency (medical specialization) of your choice.

Duke-NUS's mission is to produce clinician leaders and clinician scientists. Although you are not wrong that research is emphasized, it does not mean you cannot be a physician. In fact it means you can be a "thinking" physician who has the skills to tackle tomorrow's diseases.

Lastly, do try to attend the open house at Duke NUS Medical School to help you decide about becoming a doctor.
lee7stc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
JakeC

JakeC has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee7stc View Post
Hi Jake,

Medicine is a life long career. Admissions into med schools is tough. Surviving in med school is even tougher. You must be absolutely sure this is the career you want for the rest of your life.

It is not easy to pursue medicine overseas. First it is the high cost involved. Second, most countries will reserve the very limited places for their own nationalities. It will be a challenge to get scholarships and then residency (medical specialization) of your choice.

Duke-NUS's mission is to produce clinician leaders and clinician scientists. Although you are not wrong that research is emphasized, it does not mean you cannot be a physician. In fact it means you can be a "thinking" physician who has the skills to tackle tomorrow's diseases.

Lastly, do try to attend the open house at Duke NUS Medical School to help you decide about becoming a doctor.
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Yes i understand the investment required for a MD, both effort, and financially.
I found that Duke is able to fit in a research portion of the curriculum by condensing the first two years of anatomy into one. I have no issues with that.
I know that NUS-Duke is for the best and the brightest, and coming from SIM-UOW, my chances are slim. Nevertheless, i'm willing to try for it. I really want for this to be my career in life and i will stop at nothing to attain it. Though i'll also keep my options open just in case NUS-Duke wouldn't grant my admission. Will definitely attend their open house to gather more information on curriculum and admissions.

Thanks again lee. I really appreciate the clarification and affirmation.
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
jedrek

jedrek has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC View Post
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Yes i understand the investment required for a MD, both effort, and financially.
I found that Duke is able to fit in a research portion of the curriculum by condensing the first two years of anatomy into one. I have no issues with that.
I know that NUS-Duke is for the best and the brightest, and coming from SIM-UOW, my chances are slim. Nevertheless, i'm willing to try for it. I really want for this to be my career in life and i will stop at nothing to attain it. Though i'll also keep my options open just in case NUS-Duke wouldn't grant my admission. Will definitely attend their open house to gather more information on curriculum and admissions.

Thanks again lee. I really appreciate the clarification and affirmation.
I am considering post-graduate medicine too, in the late future

Based on my research, I guess Duke-Nus requires a balance between academics/community involvement/work experience.

Academics
Most students are first class honours,but it's highly possible to be admitted with second uppers.
You need to score >30 for MCAT to stand a good chance of entering

Community involvement
Try to do some community work for a long period of time

Work/research experience
Hospital attachments and research project may come in very handy here.

All the best,jiayou
jedrek is offline   Reply With Quote