BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Medicine, Dentistry & Healthcare
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
sadisappointed

sadisappointed has a neutral reputation
Default Success stories of retaking A's for medicine?

---------

10char

Last edited by sadisappointed; 04-28-2016 at 10:08 AM.
sadisappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:24 AM   #2
hoseh

hoseh has a neutral reputation

So what are you asking? As long as the grades you get for your retake meet the uas for med, I don't see why they wouldn't offer you an interview if you haven't got rejected by them before?
hoseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

I believe what you're asking is if you should retake the A-levels because you want to get into medicine? The simple answer would be how far are you from a straight A grade set? If you were quite close into getting good enough grades for medicine then maybe you should consider retaking. If you were far from it then maybe not. Also, since you were from a good JC, will this good JC be willing to enrol you to allow you to retake in school? School repeat students usually have a higher chance of success then private students.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
sadisappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseh View Post
So what are you asking? As long as the grades you get for your retake meet the uas for med, I don't see why they wouldn't offer you an interview if you haven't got rejected by them before?
Oh I forgot to include the end part in my original post haha. Hmm, I guess because retaking takes a lot of courage, and I'm seeking some form of affirmation, I guess. It's alright, I have thought it through already, thank you. I guess you mean there's no need to post in a forum and ask for help because if that's what I want, just go, just chiong? Guess you're right in a way actually. Thanks a lot!
Old 03-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #5
sadisappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok_ex View Post
I believe what you're asking is if you should retake the A-levels because you want to get into medicine? The simple answer would be how far are you from a straight A grade set? If you were quite close into getting good enough grades for medicine then maybe you should consider retaking. If you were far from it then maybe not. Also, since you were from a good JC, will this good JC be willing to enrol you to allow you to retake in school? School repeat students usually have a higher chance of success then private students.
Hmm, I've been a top performing student in school usually, how about top 10% for bio and chem, top 1% for econs across the level? I'm weaker in math, but the final grade I got came as a bit of a shock. Actually, I've even been tutoring some even weaker math students (because I believe I would be re-consolidating my learning efforts alongside). I've been consistently helping my weaker classmates for BCE too.

I don't think I can enrol, but I suppose I'll be alright studying alone with consults with my teachers by the side to help me as and when I need instead of full fledged lessons to re-learn concepts.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #6
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadisappointed View Post
Hmm, I've been a top performing student in school usually, how about top 10% for bio and chem, top 1% for econs across the level? I'm weaker in math, but the final grade I got came as a bit of a shock. Actually, I've even been tutoring some even weaker math students (because I believe I would be re-consolidating my learning efforts alongside). I've been consistently helping my weaker classmates for BCE too.

I don't think I can enrol, but I suppose I'll be alright studying alone with consults with my teachers by the side to help me as and when I need instead of full fledged lessons to re-learn concepts.
I think you need a more concrete plan. Studying alone might really not work. I suggest getting good tutors if you are going at it alone. Just to be safe. You were confident the first time but that didnt work out very well either.

Dont bank on your ex-teachers helping you. That's too much of a risk. Although they may seem nice, teachers are stressed out humans. If they can dont reply to your questions, they wont. They are not obliged to help you either. They'd rather focus on their own students or relax in their free time rather than help you.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:14 AM   #7
hoseh

hoseh has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadisappointed View Post
Oh I forgot to include the end part in my original post haha. Hmm, I guess because retaking takes a lot of courage, and I'm seeking some form of affirmation, I guess. It's alright, I have thought it through already, thank you. I guess you mean there's no need to post in a forum and ask for help because if that's what I want, just go, just chiong? Guess you're right in a way actually. Thanks a lot!
Just retake it if you feel that the grades didn't reflect your actual capabilities... and I do agree with what havok said above... perhaps consider getting a private tutor or something. Retaking doesn't take a lot courage; it takes a lot of self-discipline esp if you hsve NS.
hoseh is offline   Reply With Quote