BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Business, Accountancy & Finance
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
shannon

shannon has a neutral reputation
Default Uni rankings on accountancy!

Hi all. I would really like to know the university rankings for the course of accountancy, which I'm assuming isn't similar to that of business admin rankings given by Financial Times. I've searched the web but I can't find a credible ranking system based on it.

I'd appreciate both local or overseas rankings, or even recommendations. Thanks in advance!

(Mods, I thought posting this topic here would generate more interest than posting it under the 'Universities' section of this forum so don't shift this pls!)
shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
GSC1989

GSC1989 has a neutral reputation

Hi, I don't know of any specific accountancy rankings per se, but judging from popularity of the courses from the IGP of the local universities and their respective reputations,

NTU accountancy students seem to have the most established and successful alumni, followed by NUS then SMU. The reason why SMU is trailing is because it is a pretty new university. (or maybe their content is not rigourous enough for the nature of the profession? not sure)

One point of worthy mention is that not all overseas universities are accredited with the ICPAS to take the CPA Singapore certification.
GSC1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
shannon

Thanks for your reply GSC1989. I'm in the midst of applying for NTU accountancy but I'd prefer studying overseas (can't stand studying in singapore anymore!!! ><), thus I'm currently considering australian or hong kong universities as they are more economically viable. My grades are AAB/A with B for GP and a H3 dist.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
GSC1989

GSC1989 has a neutral reputation

http://www.icpas.org.sg/general/entry%20routes.asp

One thing you need to consider: please make sure the accounting degree your chasing will be accredited to take the ICPAS Professional Examination in Singapore.

NTU/SMU/NUS students do not have to take this examination as they are directly qualified for the associate course for CPA singapore.

At the end of the day, you don't want to waste years of your life chasing something you can't work as in Singapore (unless you want to work overseas).
GSC1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
shannon

I wouldn't mind working overseas really. I just want a good degree, the best I can get with my qualifications. Anyway, thanks for that advice. I'll keep that in mind
Old 04-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
jerichroberts

jerichroberts has a neutral reputation

Hi GSC1989 Thanks for giving this good insight I will take note that it should be credited to ICPAS.

Xpress super

Last edited by jerichroberts; 04-12-2015 at 06:27 PM.
jerichroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
limsli

limsli has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post
Thanks for your reply GSC1989. I'm in the midst of applying for NTU accountancy but I'd prefer studying overseas (can't stand studying in singapore anymore!!! ><), thus I'm currently considering australian or hong kong universities as they are more economically viable. My grades are AAB/A with B for GP and a H3 dist.
Hope all the best for your decision but if possible, i would advise on studying locally.
limsli is offline   Reply With Quote