BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #11
jedrek

jedrek has a neutral reputation

I think it's as real as it can get,to learn from the blog of a fellow student currently residing in KE7. The truth and reality of living in KE7,came down to food for you, I guess

Though KE7 is about a 9min walk from FoS,,you can actually take your time to travel to FoS if you are bored. But since,that is out of the option for you then...

I think you can consider Kent Ridge Hall,it's a 11min walk from FoS and it's an interesting hall you can consider,if you don't mind the walk from kent ridge MRT to NUS science,it's about the same distance :P

Pharmacy is quite rigorous in curriculum and you are still graded honours tier. I am planning to go Life Science this yr and I feel that 2 CCAs are more than enough for me or at maximum 3,of which 2 are regular commitment and 1 is events-based. 4 regular commitment in CCAs either meant that you are a genius or you are in uni for the uni life.

Probably not 8-6 each day,but you got to put in extra time studying after class hours. A friend of mine who took chem,tried to do a minor in pharmacy and ended up regretting as the commitment level of pharmacy modules are actually quite high.

http://nus.edu.sg/osa/documents/hous...20AY1718S1.pdf

Wow,you are really a foodie,aren't you? :P Yep,Utown food is better and are sometimes better than the school food. You pay on average, $8 for breakfast/dinner each day,so it's worth for me as I usually spent more on dinner outside. The only issue is you got to buy your own lunch,which should technically be that way,since each student has lessons that are held around the entire day.

You should apply for both RC and hall.For RC,you can start applying from next week till 5th June.For Hall,you can apply starting from tmr till 4th June.See the link above for hall applications.That also gives you the dilemma of open hall experience which commence in June,not so sure if you have to make a decision by then or you can also apply for the 2nd round with limited vacancies available if you are still unsure which hall to apply for.

For Hall,your acceptance of offer is in 29 June,if you apply early and 13 July if you apply later. As for RC,I feel that they will only interview you,probably in mid June and give you an offer in late June,I might be wrong about RC.

Oh ya,forgot to mention other ways of securing accomodation for more than 1yr in hall,you can do this.

Resident assistant scheme> Do admin work for the hall,RC,PGP and secure your accomodation for the yr.

https://blog.nus.edu.sg/reslife/2016...r-r1-together/

Become a committee member in a recognised club in NUS and have the members who are not staying in campus,to nominate you to stay in the following yr for Hall,PGP.

http://nus.edu.sg/osa/documents/hous...ion_scheme.pdf

Last edited by jedrek; 05-08-2017 at 04:58 PM.
jedrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #12
[email protected]

community@lithan has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine855 View Post
I've sent you a friend request

Any idea why some halls are in such a high demand? compared to KE7 for example... Is it about the living environment/food? Or the prestige (idk)
i think its cos different halls have very different culture. some are more chill, like RH and KE7 but others have a more vibrant/active culture so it rly depends what kind of lifestyle you're looking for
community@lithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #13
Jasmine855

Jasmine855 has a neutral reputation

I might tour around the halls during this week's science open house

Haha true I think food is quite impt to me as I find that it's the only thing I can look forward to after a long day, esp when I can do nothing but mug for A levels last year.
But I guess the food of the halls are all about the same right? (except KE7 ><) From NUSwhispers it seems that Raffles hall food has just improved recently due to all the complaints xp

Hmm i think kent ridge hall is a popular hall that is quite hard to get in :/ With my ordinary CCA record, I'm not sure if I can get it. Anw I didn't get to sign up for their exposure camp in time so yeah. Maybe it's more practical for me to go for raffles hall instead?

Pardon me, what is graded honours tier? Is it the First class honours all that? Only pharmacy has it? O.o

Thanks for telling me about Resident assistant scheme. I will consider it as an option ^^ But I think that each hostel only need a few RAs, so theres not a high chance that I'll become one of them ><

Btw, from the pgp blog, the RA wrote that he can stay there for free, meaning that RAs don't need to pay any cents for their hostel stay?
Jasmine855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #14
Jasmine855

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
i think its cos different halls have very different culture. some are more chill, like RH and KE7 but others have a more vibrant/active culture so it rly depends what kind of lifestyle you're looking for
It seems that the more vibrant halls are in higher demand... I like vibrancy as well but I could say that I cannot compete in sports or arts with other zai people lol.. But i think halls like RH &KE7 won't be totally dead right?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #15
jedrek

jedrek has a neutral reputation

I don't think there's an official tour around the halls in Science Open House,since it's mainly within Faculty of Science. However,there's a talk on RCs available.

Hall food is definitely different from hall to hall and yet,you end up paying the same amount for the meal plans for each hall.(kinda sucks to eat bad food in your hall,compared to your friend in another hall)

RH is quite a balanced hall(not demanding and not bad either),I have a friend there now and he is enjoying his time there. I think it really varies for different individuals,some people like the life in quiet KE7,some like it in RH,some like it in the busy KR. No one size fits all.

Yep,you are graded for each module you take.It's just that for Pharmacy,not many seniors will mention of the grades they get,because you will still be able to work as a pharmacist,unless you end up failing your modules The grading tier of First class honours,second upper honours is less significant amongst pharmacy graduates,compared to other science majors like Bio,Chem,Maths,who might apply for a different career pathway that pays more attention at your entry-level results.However,that does not imply that pharmacy students slack off,they are really hardworking,so it's going to be tough.All programmes have honours,except medicine and dentistry.

I am not so sure of the RA scheme. Most people apply there with the mindset of staying in campus,but if they don't get in,they will just accept life as it is.It's probably free accomodation but you have to give your time up for your stay.I didn't read up so much on it as I am not interested in staying extra yrs in RC/PGP. All I know is that,RA>4 CCAs hands down with that free accomodation and more time for yourself.

Halls are definitely not "dead",even if the community is "dead",you just have to step up and take the initiative to "liven" up the community. I am not a big supporter of people who go to hall for the community. Uni community is made up of more than just hall/RC. Gah,that reminds me of my cringe-worthy experience of a Tembusu girl telling me about how her life revolves around the RC(CCA,friends =.= ) For me,uni community is about taking part in CCA outside RC/PGP,meeting new friends from faculty and old friends who may not even be part of the uni.(NTU/SMU) The accomodation is just a place to stay at and if opportunities are available,you can interact with people in the accomodation. That's probably the reason why I didn't really considered applying halls,as I am only interested in the academic programmes in RC and PGP House. Community is just a bonus for me and if it's "dead",I can easily look for more beyond the RC/PGP. If I ever feel salty about the community in RC/PGP,I can always tell myself,that at least I am privileged to stay in campus,that not many of my friends are able to do so.

Last edited by jedrek; 05-10-2017 at 12:05 PM.
jedrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:23 AM   #16
Jdh

Jdh has a neutral reputation
Default Selected into hall

Hello !! I didnt have the chance to sign up for the exposures camps because I was accepted late into NUS... Was wondering which halls are less "popular" and hence "easier" to get it? How is sheares' demand like??
Jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #17
Jasmine855

You can still sign up for Eusoff,KE7 and Raffles hall exposure camp. Just find their facebook for the link! I think KE7 & RH are the easier halls to get in? Sheares quite popular leh...