BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Government > Public Service Commission
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
kpkp

kpkp has a neutral reputation
Default Should I accept my PSC scholarship?

I was offered the provisional PSC scholarship. Sounds good right? Thing is, they limited my country of study to Singapore. I want to study law and have applied to and have been offered places in prestigious universities like Durham and Warwick so far. I am not completely sure yet if I want to go to NUS. Any help on whether the atmosphere at NUS is worth it? I know that NUS is strong academically but I also don't really want to be in a hyper-competitive and stifling environment. Oh and my scholarship is the Singapore Government Scholarship (open) which seems to be the lowest in the PSC scholarship hierarchy. Does anyone know how true this is? Thanks for any help!
kpkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Isabella

Isabella has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkp View Post
I was offered the provisional PSC scholarship. Sounds good right? Thing is, they limited my country of study to Singapore. I want to study law and have applied to and have been offered places in prestigious universities like Durham and Warwick so far. I am not completely sure yet if I want to go to NUS. Any help on whether the atmosphere at NUS is worth it? I know that NUS is strong academically but I also don't really want to be in a hyper-competitive and stifling environment. Oh and my scholarship is the Singapore Government Scholarship (open) which seems to be the lowest in the PSC scholarship hierarchy. Does anyone know how true this is? Thanks for any help!
Congrats! I agree with you living and studying overseas would be a different and enriching experience. Is it possible to appeal?
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
savethewow

savethewow has a neutral reputation

Quote:
I am not completely sure yet if I want to go to NUS. Any help on whether the atmosphere at NUS is worth it? I know that NUS is strong academically but I also don't really want to be in a hyper-competitive and stifling environment.
If you can afford it, please choose Durham/Warwick law.
The NUS experience is not worth being bonded.
savethewow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
kpkp

kpkp has a neutral reputation

Thanks for your advice guys!!! It's possible to appeal but the chances of success are very low. My dad said that cost was no issue if I wanted to go to Durham. However, I just feel bad because I just feel like I shouldn't burden my parents too much. But yeah... like one of you said, I'm going to talk with some of my brother's friends who study law in NUS and find out if the NUS environment is just a extended version of the rigidity present in pri/sec/jc schools. Haha I have till 1 may before I need to make my decision
kpkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
savethewow

savethewow has a neutral reputation

Quote:
find out if the NUS environment is just a extended version of the rigidity present in pri/sec/jc schools.
If you're comparing it with UK unis, definitely yes.
savethewow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Isabella

Quote:
Have you decided? How did you do for your A levels? I heard that the PSC has rejected quite a number of applicants.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
philosoE

philosoE has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Have you decided? How did you do for your A levels? I heard that the PSC has rejected quite a number of applicants.
Hi, just curious, since you mentioned that the PSC has already rejected a number of applicants, how do you know and when did you apply? I recently submiitted my application thru the PSC gateway, like just before they released the A level results as I am a ORD-ed guy and dun want to be crowded out by the new people. Haven't heard from them since, but then again it has only been 2 weeks. When do they usually start calling people up? I know that shortlisted folks are asked to take a test at the civil college, or something like that? Any reply is much appreciated, esp from past applicants. Thanx!
philosoE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
teddynuts

teddynuts has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosoE View Post
Hi, just curious, since you mentioned that the PSC has already rejected a number of applicants, how do you know and when did you apply? I recently submiitted my application thru the PSC gateway, like just before they released the A level results as I am a ORD-ed guy and dun want to be crowded out by the new people. Haven't heard from them since, but then again it has only been 2 weeks. When do they usually start calling people up? I know that shortlisted folks are asked to take a test at the civil college, or something like that? Any reply is much appreciated, esp from past applicants. Thanx!
There's an early cycle and regular cycle for PSC. Early cycle is over, with results long known already. Now is regular cycle. Its open but is closing soon.

They usually call people up within 2 weeks, but that really depends on the volume of applications. 2 weeks is my guesstimate, not official. Yes, you need to go through an in-depth psychologist interview at CSC.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Isabella

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosoE View Post
It is for the early cycle people. They were interviewed in Dec/Jan and notified a week after. Well, I really can't say about actual timing. You can always check with them. Good Luck!

Tags
accept/reject psc offer