BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Rate My Chances!
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Icetray

Icetray has a neutral reputation
Default Automated Chance Rater (BETA)

Hi guys,

I'm working on a new tool that will allow students to automatically calculate their A Level ranking points and at the same time, provide recommendations based on the IGP of their selected course.

It was just created today and I was hoping to have it "perfect" by the time the A level results are released. Hoping that the more experienced members in this group can provide recommendations as well as test for bugs.

I'll be working on a more advanced version that automatically recommends courses based on the grades of the students but due my school workload, I doubt it'll arrive in time for this year's applications.

Meanwhile, please check it out by clicking here!
Icetray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

This is very useful. Thank you for sharing it. I will stick this thread.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
Icetray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
This is very useful. Thank you for sharing it. I will stick this thread.
Just trying to return back to the community that helped me when I was in the same situation.

Also written a companion guide which I hope will help everyone when they get their results tomorrow. I tried to be as detailed as possible without making it too long. You can read it here: So you have just gotten your A Level Results

Please let me know if I have missed out anything.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
ziruz

ziruz has a neutral reputation

Thanks for this! Very useful for those navigating the UAS system for the first time.

But what about the use of H1 MTL in the computation of UAS? If I had BBC/A, with GP A, PW A and MTL A, without considering MTL, my UAS would be 80. If MTL is taken into consideration, my UAS would be 81.

So wouldn't the UAS 81 be taken?
ziruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Icetray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziruz View Post
Thanks for this! Very useful for those navigating the UAS system for the first time.

But what about the use of H1 MTL in the computation of UAS? If I had BBC/A, with GP A, PW A and MTL A, without considering MTL, my UAS would be 80. If MTL is taken into consideration, my UAS would be 81.

So wouldn't the UAS 81 be taken?
Hmmm... this is a very good question. I've always thought that MTL was only required to meet the application requirements (unless you're applying for a MTL based course) but it seems that:

"If you present the results slip for your best MTL Subject score (e.g. 'H1' MTL or 'O' Level Higher MTL), the University will include it in the computation of the UAS if it raises your score."

Perhaps if someone can shed some light on it, I can include it in my online calculator.

Last edited by Icetray; 03-05-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Icetray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetray View Post
Hmmm... this is a very good question. I've always thought that MTL was only required to meet the application requirements (unless you're applying for a MTL based course) but it seems that:

"If you present the results slip for your best MTL Subject score (e.g. 'H1' MTL or 'O' Level Higher MTL), the University will include it in the computation of the UAS if it raises your score."

Perhaps if someone can shed some light on it, I can include it in my online calculator.
I've updated the Ranking Points/UAS calculator to take into account the effects of MTL. I hope this helps!