BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SIM
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
wintersnow28

wintersnow28 has a neutral reputation
Default Help deciding business major? (UOL and RMIT)

Hi there,

I've already applied for UOL's Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Business and Management. But I've always wanted to work in an international NGO, should I switch track to International Relations? Or should I stick with my original because it's 'safer'?

Also I've always heard that Accounting, Finance and Economics are safe majors to go into. But having done Econs at H2, I rather hate it. I did Maths at H1 but I have Alevel Math. With that in mind, should I go for any one of the 3?

I haven't submitted application for RMIT (application closes April 15), deciding between Accountancy, Management and Marketing. Any opinions?

All help is appreciated!

Edit: I should probably add that I'm looking to enter in the July 2015 intake.

Last edited by wintersnow28; 04-03-2015 at 12:20 AM.
wintersnow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
nady_reply

nady_reply has a neutral reputation

tbh, there are not many international NGO jobs in singapore. and its difficult to get one overseas as a fresh grad - unless you plan to continue with an on-campus masters degree.

I'll stick with UOL Business and Management and wouldn't bother with RMIT or accounting/finance/economics.

on a side note, this is a good resource for non-profit jobs in SG if you're keen - https://www.facebook.com/groups/119735201555/
nady_reply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #3
wintersnow28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nady_reply View Post
tbh, there are not many international NGO jobs in singapore. and its difficult to get one overseas as a fresh grad - unless you plan to continue with an on-campus masters degree.

I'll stick with UOL Business and Management and wouldn't bother with RMIT or accounting/finance/economics.

on a side note, this is a good resource for non-profit jobs in SG if you're keen - https://www.facebook.com/groups/119735201555/
Thanks for the reply! I'm not looking to enter an NGO job right away, I'm okay with building a portfolio first. Neither am I looking to get a masters immediately; my parents have already said that they will fund my university degree because they want me to focus on studying and don't want me to be burdened with a debt right out of school. So I don't want to give them even more debt than is necessary.

I'm a very paranoid (or kiasu if you will) person, and keep thinking: what if I don't get into UOL? Is getting into UOL guaranteed if you pass all your A level subjects?

And thanks for the link! Much appreciated!
Old 04-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
jerichroberts

jerichroberts has a neutral reputation

Well, I personally don't favor UOL method of delivering biz degrees by just a single exam. Studying biz should be a mixture of projs, presentations, assignments, exams etc. RMIT has that but its not direct-honors and maybe slightly less 'reputable' than UOL? Why don't consider UniSIM?
Old 04-14-2015, 11:19 PM   #5
wintersnow28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichroberts View Post
Well, I personally don't favor UOL method of delivering biz degrees by just a single exam. Studying biz should be a mixture of projs, presentations, assignments, exams etc. RMIT has that but its not direct-honors and maybe slightly less 'reputable' than UOL? Why don't consider UniSIM?
UniSIM needs 2 years of experience as an admission requirement, and I don't have that.

Last edited by wintersnow28; 04-14-2015 at 11:19 PM. Reason: for clearer expression
Old 04-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #6
wintersnow28

Update: Got accepted into NTU Sociology. I decided on business in SIM because I wanted to do a more 'profitable' degree, but I always wanted to study Sociology. Now I'm in a dilemma again...

Tags
business degrees, rmit, uol