BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Private > Private Scholarships General Discussion
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
mizzpriz

mizzpriz has a neutral reputation

Hi, is it too late to apply for the SPH undergraduate scholarship now? As in, the internship part that one has to undergo before the release of A-Level results?
mizzpriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #12
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

From the SPH website:
Applications will open from October onwards and will close 1 week after the release of the GCE “A” Level results. GCE “A” Level students can submit your application using your preliminary results.

So, no, I don't think it's too late to apply for the SPH undergraduate scholarship.

I'm not sure about the internship-I think you're supposed to apply, and if you are accepted after the first few rounds, you get the internship. If they like your performance during the internship, you go for another interview, after which they offer you the scholarship.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
zidane4life

zidane4life has a neutral reputation

i dont think its too late to apply. however, if you are a guy, your internship will be pushed back to after ORD.
zidane4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:33 AM   #14
xmxm

xmxm has a neutral reputation

If I submit my application in early November, when will they notify me to attend the writing test?
xmxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
xmxm

xmxm has a neutral reputation

Around how many applicants apply for SPH journalism scholarship and how many receive it eventually?
xmxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
samsing7

samsing7 has a neutral reputation

Heard that the writing test is really hard!
samsing7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #17
DukeBlue

DukeBlue has a neutral reputation

Yvette: They pick more than one. But I don't know how many. I and 3 of my friends were offered the SPH scholarship back in 2003, so there were at least 4 SPH scholars that year. Possibly more, but I wouldn't know (I turned SPH down).

xmxm: I don't know how many people apply, but if you really believe in journalism to educate/inform the public, are a good writer and a good thinker/commentator on public issues, then you should be able to get the scholarship. Just read the Straits Times and ask yourself if you think you could (someday) write as well as Grace Chua or some of the other better journalists in the ST.

Samsing: The test isn't super-hard. There's a "spot the mistakes" passage where you read an essay and spot all the mistakes (misspellings, grammar errors, wrong word used, wrong punctuation, etc). Then other English-type tests (can't remember exactly what -- but having a good vocabulary is advisable). Then an essay that's like GP -- discuss some topic or issue or current news. If you want to be a journalist, you should already be good at all the above, or at least practicing hard towards that!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #18
limxiaoyin

limxiaoyin has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBlue View Post
Good advice! Being conscientious counts.
Though it doesn't have to be totally crisp & perfect. I submitted mine, folded, in a half-A4 envelope; they did give me the scholarship in the end, so I don't think they mind the folding. However, yes the app should be neatly typed out (or neatly written out).
Hi,may I know what kind of essay questions will be tested? Does the writing test contain one essay question only or does it provide a few essay questions then we have to choose one to answer? And may I know what did you write about 6 years ago?
limxiaoyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #19
yuuji

yuuji has a neutral reputation

@limxiaoyin

the test encompasses a few questions (like 6), some more philosophical while others are generally about current affairs of Singapore. You just need to choose 1 to write.

I took my writing test this year so it's still fresh in my head

going for the interview tomorrow!
yuuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #20
limxiaoyin

limxiaoyin has a neutral reputation

I am going to apply for SPH scholarship next year.
Good Luck to your interview!!
limxiaoyin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scholarship, sph