BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Private > Private Scholarships General Discussion
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #21
kiah
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
kiah has a neutral reputation
Default

Hey guys, just wondering, the application seem to be open now as shown from the SPH site. So if I were to apply now and assuming that they don't reject me, approximately when will they call me for writing test? Does writing test come first or interview come first? Will this take place during A level exams?
kiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
direwolf89
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
direwolf89 has a neutral reputation
Default

Hey,

I applied in Dec 2011 and went for the writing test in mid-Jan 2012. They took around 2-3 weeks to contact me, by phone first, then followed up with an email. Then another 2 weeks after that to tell me my interview date (tomorrow), even though they're still advertising the scholarship in The Straits Times.

Actually I emailed My Paper for an internship and went to SPH for a writing test, after which they called me up and offered me the chance to apply for the scholarship...which I already had!
direwolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #23
redscarletcrimson
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15
redscarletcrimson has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf89 View Post
Hey,

I applied in Dec 2011 and went for the writing test in mid-Jan 2012. They took around 2-3 weeks to contact me, by phone first, then followed up with an email. Then another 2 weeks after that to tell me my interview date (tomorrow), even though they're still advertising the scholarship in The Straits Times.

Actually I emailed My Paper for an internship and went to SPH for a writing test, after which they called me up and offered me the chance to apply for the scholarship...which I already had!
Oh wow! My interview is tomorrow as well! I also applied in dec and had my writing test in mid-jan! Did they specify the dress code for the interview btw?

By the way, they advise students to apply early so that they can complete the internship before the final interviews are held.

Last edited by redscarletcrimson; 02-06-2012 at 11:32 PM.
redscarletcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #24
direwolf89
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
direwolf89 has a neutral reputation
Default

Hey,

sorry I didn't reply earlier; hope your interview went well!

I dressed in office clothes, seeing that everyone there looks rather business-like.

What time was your interview? Mine was at 5pm. I had three female interviewers. Who turned out to be friendly, but that can trick you into crossing the line.

They said that they would contact me within the week about the results of the interview.
direwolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #25
redscarletcrimson
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15
redscarletcrimson has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf89 View Post
Hey,

sorry I didn't reply earlier; hope your interview went well!

I dressed in office clothes, seeing that everyone there looks rather business-like.

What time was your interview? Mine was at 5pm. I had three female interviewers. Who turned out to be friendly, but that can trick you into crossing the line.

They said that they would contact me within the week about the results of the interview.
Mine was at 3pm and I was in working attire as well! Yeah, it was 3 ladies and if I'm not wrong one is from HR and the other 2 are probably journalists? They were quite friendly in the sense that they came over to shake my hand. But other than that 2 of them were quite serious and do grill you.

Oh, and I got rejected by phone yesterday already, which I expected, cos I'm still undecided between a career in law and journalism. The HR lady said that's a strict no-no. They offered to let me intern at one of their subsidiary publications, however, and I think that's still pretty awesome!

By the way, was your written test in Chinese? Anyway, all the best for the outcome of the interview!
redscarletcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #26
direwolf89
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
direwolf89 has a neutral reputation
Default

Oh I'm glad to hear that! I wonder if I'll see you there...

I got the phone call on Friday informing me I was accepted for the internship. I'm attached to The Sunday Times, till end May, for $45/day. Ok, so that's hardly a fortune, but I'm looking forward to the experience. No matter how tough it gets.

My written test was all in English! Wow you must be effectively bilingual.

Thanks for your well wishes. Maybe they might offer you a postion at My Paper?
direwolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #27
redscarletcrimson
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15
redscarletcrimson has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf89 View Post
Oh I'm glad to hear that! I wonder if I'll see you there...

I got the phone call on Friday informing me I was accepted for the internship. I'm attached to The Sunday Times, till end May, for $45/day. Ok, so that's hardly a fortune, but I'm looking forward to the experience. No matter how tough it gets.

My written test was all in English! Wow you must be effectively bilingual.

Thanks for your well wishes. Maybe they might offer you a postion at My Paper?
Congrats! No, my test was in English. Might have taken it at the same time as you. I got the impression that yours was in Chinese cos you mentioned my paper, which is a Chinese publication. Oh, and the shift timings are really odd. But it makes the job sound more exciting.
redscarletcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #28
direwolf89
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
direwolf89 has a neutral reputation
Default

Ooops the internship's actually until end-June.

My Paper is English on one end, and Chinese on the other!

So does that mean you've taken them up on their offer?
direwolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
redscarletcrimson
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15
redscarletcrimson has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf89 View Post
Ooops the internship's actually until end-June.

My Paper is English on one end, and Chinese on the other!

So does that mean you've taken them up on their offer?
Woah that's long! Mine is for at least 3 months and I start next Monday. Never knew my paper was dual language but I should have known from the English title!
redscarletcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #30
cecilycardew17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
cecilycardew17 has a neutral reputation
Default

Hey! Anyone going for the SPH interview this Friday? Just wanna confirm, because apparently I applied late and they're considering for mid-term instead... Oh and any last minute advice for the interview please? :x I'm really unfamiliar with interviews (only went for one interview before, in fact), so I'd really appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!
cecilycardew17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scholarship, sph

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.