BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Government > Public Service Commission
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
yingzhen

yingzhen has a neutral reputation

Part III is about filling in placement of universities and the courses that you applied for for them and their decision - ie unconditional, conditional etc.
yingzhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
kiasu

kiasu has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingzhen View Post
Part III is about filling in placement of universities and the courses that you applied for for them and their decision - ie unconditional, conditional etc.
In addition to the above, Part III asks for a listing of the scholarships that you have applied for and their status.
kiasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #13
dupatinaglace

dupatinaglace has a neutral reputation
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBlue View Post
No, I did not apply for the Master's scholarship; in 2008 I applied for the Management Associates Programme.
I did not encounter any essay-based test. I did however have to (re)take the psychometric tests that PSC-scholar-hopefuls also have to take; those tests determine your personality, leadership and working style. I also had the "IQ"-type tests that test for speed of spatial/intutive reasoning, verbal/logical reasoning, and analytical/math reasoning.
hey you seem like the veteran here=)
i am an MAP hopeful and i sat for my psychometric (spatial/intutive reasoning, verbal/logical reasoning, and analytical/math reasoning) test earlier this week plus a writing test on the same day. now i'm worried coz i couldn't finish the questions in time and i'm not so sure of my answers... do you think one's scores from these tests determine whether one can proceed onto the next stage or do the PSC people still look at the whole package when deciding whether or not to give you an interview? i am very confident about my app so i'm praying this didn't destroy my chances at the next stage...
dupatinaglace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #14
DukeBlue

DukeBlue has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupatinaglace View Post
do you think one's scores from these tests determine whether one can proceed onto the next stage or do the PSC people still look at the whole package when deciding whether or not to give you an interview?
(Replied privately since it's off-topic to this thread. But short answer: yes the PSC looks at the whole you. The scores are rarely make-or-break unless you completely fail or something drastic like that.)
Old 05-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
tree12

tree12 has a neutral reputation

hey, i just like to check if this final interview, is well, really the final one.

Wasn't offered a scholarship by the PSC, and when I check I was told that I had been considered for all the ministry scholarships (for instance, the teaching scholarship offered by MOE). So my application would not be forwarded etc. Was foolish enough to think that my application would be referred to the ministries after that. Am rather confused though. Based on the MOE FAQ, it does seem that the PSC interview isn't the end...

Does anyone have an idea about this?
tree12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #16
DukeBlue

Tree12, did you apply only to PSC, or did you also apply to MOE? My guess is PSC did not consider you to be appropriate for the MOE/other ministry scholarships, so they did not forward your app on to MOE. In my case, back in 2003, I didn't get the PSC scholarship but the PSC did forward my app on to MOE because they said I seemed appropriate, so MOE interviewed me (so the PSC failure wasn't the end for me). However, in your case, if you applied only to PSC, then yes it seems like the end of the line.

Even if you had also applied to MOE in addition to PSC, there's no guarantee you'd have gotten the MOE scholarship (just saying), so it's not all that foolish to have applied solely to the PSC.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #17
tree12

tree12 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBlue View Post
Tree12, did you apply only to PSC, or did you also apply to MOE? My guess is PSC did not consider you to be appropriate for the MOE/other ministry scholarships, so they did not forward your app on to MOE. In my case, back in 2003, I didn't get the PSC scholarship but the PSC did forward my app on to MOE because they said I seemed appropriate, so MOE interviewed me (so the PSC failure wasn't the end for me). However, in your case, if you applied only to PSC, then yes it seems like the end of the line.

Even if you had also applied to MOE in addition to PSC, there's no guarantee you'd have gotten the MOE scholarship (just saying), so it's not all that foolish to have applied solely to the PSC.
Thanks for the reply.

MOE said to apply to them through the PSC gateway and indicating 'teaching' as one of the options. I did just that, but somehow ended up shortlisted for the PSC scholarship instead. Interview didn't go so well and the rest is history...

Friends who did the same thing and were not shortlisted by PSC had their applications sent directly to MOE, where they had to fill another application form...

Hence my confusion. But I guess it doesn't matter so much anymore, since the application cycles are closing/closed already. Just needed to know so that I can be at peace. Heh. Hope you know what I mean.
tree12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #18
DukeBlue

you're welcome =) I'm sorry it didn't work out how you had hoped; nonetheless I hope you find a way to go to your dream school!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #19
tots

tots has a neutral reputation

eepz. this seems to be a relatively old thread.

so PSC can decide to NOT forward your documents to the ministry of your choices? gosh, that's harsh! How do you know about that?
tots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #20
DukeBlue

Highwind,

In response to your question, in a way I did indeed anticipate the PSC's questions, simply by thinking and reflecting about my life and what I had done, the things that had happened to me and how those had shaped me. Reflecting on your past trajectory helps. As for how long I spent: you could say I spent months "preparing". Reflecting on your life is something you should be doing regularly, not only when there's a big interview on the horizon. Throughout my four years at university, I was constantly pausing to take stock of what I was learning, how I was changing (or not). Keeping a journal etc may help. In today's busy age, maybe quiet reflection is a luxury but it will surely help you avoid feelings of meaninglessness, as well as the dreaded quarterlife and midlife crises in future! Too many JC and uni and even working adults plunge lemminglike from one stage of life into the next, and some become frustrated with their lives as a result.

Regarding your life anecdotes (which I think is what you mean by "stating examples"), you don't need that many -- even 10 is probably more than enough. Everyone's life is interesting and eventful. Just think of important learning/growth points in your life. A few questions may start you off:

"Tell me about a time when you...
...disagreed with a superior?
...went through a tough situation?
...had to make a difficult choice?
...had to work in a team with someone you didn't like?"
etcetc.

Even if they don't ask you the exact questions you prepared for yourself, you'll have a ready store of stories you can tell about yourself if a similar question comes along, or if you can steer the conversation in the right direction such that you can pop in the story naturally.

Usually, you should be short and not ramble when telling a story (30 secs - 1 minute is plenty). Focus on
1) What the situation was (very quick background context, no need for details since it's about you not the situation)
2) What you did
3) The result / what difference it made
4) Any reflections or lessons learnt

All the best!

DB