BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
seeweiren

seeweiren has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentythree View Post
the most fabled ivy leagues, bschools in eu and us have similar rigor and they dont shorten their programs or remove items, they demand the very best because everyone, nus, berkeley, oxbridge, wharton all have a reputation to uphold. heck the employers recognise the value of a nus degree, honors or not, when the non-honors students can get paid more and more get employed full time than their peers who might have honors from other programs. So reputation, rigor and intensity, definitely check.

H seniors preceding us has won numerous events from usc marshall, copenhagen, hong kong science and technology, mcgill, the fabled L'Oreal local and international champions. together with a team of 3 other school mates, with zero international experience but rigorous training by our mentor and excellent faculty advisor, we came in 2nd in mcgill in 2009 <www.mmicc.org/2009> the weekends spent and the time preparing was immensely worth it in the end. It sort of shocked us that all the power house bschools (haas, marshall, copenhagen, auckland, mcgill etc.) all are wary of the reputation and calibre of nus teams, which is typical and very normal considering the mcgill teams coming here have placed or won 5 out of 9 times in the history of the competition!
Nice said!!!! NUS Business School is competitive and significant across the world,never doubt the power of local school undergraduates.
seeweiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
SMUgger

SMUgger has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
anyway, nus biz ad (acc) is kind of flexible because at the end of it you can choose to graduate with a biz ad degree OR a biz ad (acc) degree.
I believe it is quite easy for students to switch from acct to biz in NTU and SMU too.
SMUgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
twentythree

twentythree has a neutral reputation

hey guys will answer the questions accordingly

1. switching from accountancy to bba or others

yes definitely you can switch, if you switch too late say year 3 sem 1 or 2. you might have to do 6 modules to catch up or thereabouts for just 1 semester. but its uber flexible cause theres quite a fair bit of overlap between the two programs, bba and bac (accounting). so if not, yes surely you can change. works the other way as well if you wana join the bac program. Also its easier to transfer out from business to say arts, science or other faculties (except medicine and dentistry of course) law its doable since most if not all nus bschoolers just about meet nus law school requirements. BUT note that transfers are again merit based and not everyone qualifies cause gpa is taken into account once ya in school, on top of your a levels.

2. masterclass - introverts and class participation

i would say across all 3 bschools, you will be at a disadvantaged if ya an introvert, but heck i was not too vocal before army and army took class part seriously haha so yes bschools can hone and train you up, some have more pressure for you to do so faster due to the higher weight of grades apportioned to it. but if not yeah like i said, its very personal and to excel, anywhere at anything, you will need to voice your opinion and share, be it class discussions or project work or at the workplace during your internship.

3. the average bschooler

exchange is the norm, maybe not the top tier bschools all the time but at least the very respectable ones like manchester, lund, corvinus, connecticut amongst many others.

noc or nus overseas college is grades blind, its more dependent on your apttitute towards enterprise and entrepreneurship. its a one year internship in a tech or various other start ups and a 1 year academic program in either wharton (phili), stanford (silicon valley) tshinghua (beijing, shanghai (fudan), stockholm (kings college), yes bangalore india and soon possibly france or london.

somehow nus bschoolers lead most or are involved in every level of student government, you can be a director of publicity for the faculty club, dive club or the students sports club, the overall university students union or just about any other organization you are keen in. the diversity is there, hundreds of organizational teams, events and programs for you to pick and choose, some more high profile or the other, but the learning experience and leadership skills and other soft skill sets are about the same if not absolutely similar. management is after all management. it simply differs in scope and scale in our level in university.

also of course halls of residences, their management committees or "student council" is very much the same as what you see in the faculty clubs. bschoolers are sitting there on various committees and management positions. not everyone can be leaders, but being a solid worker and follower (not blindly!) also speaks volumes about one's ability or character. nus and bschool provides tons of those opportunities.

4. nus accounting

sorry could you be more specific in what you wana know more about the program!? sorry am in between meetings now, so a bit tough to churn out everything from my head!

5. other more typical stuff

in house bschool interest groups include entrepreneurship centres, chartered financial analyst interest groups, case competition interest groups, AISEC which encourages international development and exposure for students, and countless of others. the options are plenty, they are not exclusive, infact none are except beta gamma sigma!

of course also there are plenty of events you can manage, participate, plan and simply make tons of friends and have fun! in fact even overseas friends and other local unis as well. the bschool business students club have close ties and have or are hosting oxbrige, usc marshall, hongkong unis amongst others. The Club is also involved in singapore's only tri-university business and accounting schools freshman orientation camp! so really i can go on and on, there really are plenty of stuff and options, not everything is exclusive, even case isnt, case competition is based on your presentation and analytical abilities, not just gpa or other exclusive characteristics.
twentythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #14
jellybean

jellybean has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUgger View Post
I believe it is quite easy for students to switch from acct to biz in NTU and SMU too.
yup, but from what i heard, in NUS BBA (Acc), at the END of the course, you can choose if you want to grad with BBA OR BBA(Acc) degree, without having to make a decision to switch from acc to bba per se in the middle of your studies.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
jellybean

jellybean has a neutral reputation

twentythree:

thanks for point 3. the average bschooler. i understand what you mean. i think its also up to the individual to take the initiative to lead and participate in activities, no matter how small the initiative is because that would be what a biz student should strive to become, a leader in his/her own way.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #16
lavastar

lavastar has a neutral reputation

Quote:
i went for the nus biz masterclass. they just assigned us a group and each group went for a different "lecture" simulation class, my group went for Operations Management class. basically, the prof just gave an introductory lecture abt the topic and engaged the group in discussions/interactions...its actually quite similar to tutorials/lectures in jc. then there was a luncheon after that (food was DAMN good), where we get to ask individual profs/ deans/ current undergrads questions and learn more abt nus biz life and stuff. yup
are u in group E on that day?
lavastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #17
no0b1

no0b1 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
oh actually i meant experiencing studying accountancy in ur 1st sem/1st year (i think its possible to switch course if you find u really hate it or something). what i think is that, business students need to speak up and interact, because its a course that expects that from its students, unlike courses like science. its the way to learn the ropes of business because that is exactly what business is about, you learn through hands-on and discussions, not so much of textbook-based theories. with regards to your concerns about being introverted, it would indeed be a barrier to your learning. but then again, its up to you to change that. frankly, im kind of introverted in pri/lower sec, but i decided to speak up more in class and all it took was a first step. you'll have to make that effort to speak up and contribute to discussions in the lecture and once you get the hang of it, i dont think it will be an obstacle to your learning already. its a matter of taking the first step and getting used to it therafter.
Thanks for the encouragement and advice!
no0b1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #18
faith-ed

faith-ed has a neutral reputation

twentythree made me very excited bout nus biz. haha. but i wonder will i have tht much opportunities since i will be competing with ppl with all the gd grades.

anyone gg for tea session nx sat, 23rd may ?
faith-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:14 AM   #19
twentythree

twentythree has a neutral reputation

the welcome tea is for everyone that has been offered but no yet decided. its designed to clear doubts and encourage those of the nus bschool fit to join us ! i guess the school recognizes not everyone is of the nus bschool fit so we dont go all out that desperately. those who have not been offered, that i am not too sure, either they are in the process of sending you the offers or something else i am not privy to.

on a side note, nus bschool has the smallest intake yearly amongst the 3 -- 595 vs 900ish (smu acc + bbm) vs 1200 (ntu accounting + biz) so those who are offered are in very good company.

faith-ed dont worry, seize the opportunities, dont wait or hesitate, learn as much as you can, speak to as many people as you can, enjoy school and i am sure you will reap the rewards of education as those with the initiative would.
twentythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #20
thirtyone

thirtyone has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentythree View Post
the welcome tea is for everyone that has been offered but no yet decided. its designed to clear doubts and encourage those of the nus bschool fit to join us ! i guess the school recognizes not everyone is of the nus bschool fit so we dont go all out that desperately. those who have not been offered, that i am not too sure, either they are in the process of sending you the offers or something else i am not privy to.

on a side note, nus bschool has the smallest intake yearly amongst the 3 -- 595 vs 900ish (smu acc + bbm) vs 1200 (ntu accounting + biz) so those who are offered are in very good company.

faith-ed dont worry, seize the opportunities, dont wait or hesitate, learn as much as you can, speak to as many people as you can, enjoy school and i am sure you will reap the rewards of education as those with the initiative would.
I'm not sure if anyone can help me, but does anyone know how long does nusbiz take to offer biz or accounts if it's not my first choice? that's cos i put med and den as 1st and 2nd choice, but apparently they sent me the invite on wed, which meanas my jae status should have changed, but it didn't. I have friends who have already been accepted, but didn't get the invite at all! Thanks
thirtyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
business, ntu, nus, smu, university