BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:05 AM   #21
clarenceux

clarenceux has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeychrix View Post
Hmm, are you absolutely positive about that? This is what the SMU FAQ page says though, which is a tad worrying.

If you have been offered admission to a degree programme and would like to appeal for a change of programme, you should accept the programme offered first while waiting for the outcome of your appeal. If you do not accept the offer of the programme within the stipulated deadline, your place will be assigned to others on the waiting list. (http://www.smu.edu.sg/admissions/app...faqs/index.asp)

But I'm guessing by 'stipulated deadline' it means 1st June, so prior to that it's okay to accept another university's offer while waiting for an appeal to SMU to be processed?
Hi zoeychrix

Before anything else, please take note that I am not offended by your answer and I hope you will not find my reply offensive. What I am trying to do now is to provide an answer that is precise as possible, which I think is what you want.

I am positive of what I have said, because my female friends have done it last year and the year before last year. I see no reason why I should not believe in them. Another reason why I am positive of my earlier statement could be found below. Of course, please feel free to point out my mistake if any

I think you define appeal is for a switch in courses within the same uni (pardon me if I am wrong). Well, appeal is more than that though you are right that appeal is also applicable for those who wish to switch course within the uni.

However, going by that idea alone effectively kills off the hope of those who did not receive any university offer at all. Appeal is for those who are unsatisfied with their offer (wish to change programme, school or both) and those who did not receive any offer.

May I draw you attention to the same paragraph in SMU FAQ:

If your application has not been successful or you have not been offered your first choice, you may submit an appeal for reconsideration. You are advised to submit your appeal by email to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at [email protected] indicating your full name, NRIC (if applicable) and application number. There is no standard format. You may state in your appeal your reasons for reconsideration (not more than 600 words) and provide additional information that has not been furnished earlier in your application for admission to SMU. For the 2009 admissions exercise, all appeals should be submitted by 3 July 2009 . However, we would advise applicants who wish to appeal to do so early, preferably within 2 weeks following notification of the outcome of the application.
That means, if you are fail to receive an offer from your desired university or did not receive your most preferred choice, you may appeal against the decision of the university in question.

It makes no sense for the applicant to reject offer(s) for an appeal which does not guarantee success. If one is to do this, in the even of an unsuccessful appeal, he or she will be left with no place in the 3 local universities. As recommended by SMU as you have quoted, you should accept the programme offered first while waiting for the outcome of your appeal.

In other words, you must accept an offer by 1 June 2009 (the stipulated dateline for common acceptance across the 3 local unis). Failure to do so would render you in a dangerous limbo situation as suggested in the earlier paragraph.

For boys, if you fail to receive any offer or did not make a successful appeal, you can try again next year and after your ORD. But please take note you will be competing with the new batch of applicants. If you have reserved an offer in the earlier year(s) and are successful in your new application, you can choose to either accept or reject your new offer along with your reserved place.

(From NUS) Please note that appeals to Architecture, Dentistry, Industrial Design, all Law-related courses, Medicine, Nursing and some of the double / concurrent degree programmes that require a selection interview, will not be considered, unless you have taken the required aptitude tests and interviews conducted earlier.

So, for illustration purpose:

1) Boy received an offer from NTU School A but he wants a course in NUS Faculty B. He should accept his offer and appeal to NUS via its online facility at the same time.

2) Boy received an offer from NTU School C but he wants a course in NTU School D. He should accept his offer and appeal to NTU for a switch of degree programme via its online facility.

3) Boy did not receive any offer from any university. He should appeal.

4) Boy is currently in National Service. He has reserved a place in SMU School E but he wants to change his sch or programme (or even both). He has to apply and compete with the cohort of new applicants. If his application is successful, he may either switch to the new course offered or retain his earlier offer. If his application fails, he still retains the earlier offer.

*Please note that clarenceux is illustrating the possible scenarios without any intention to compare or assert which university is better than the other.

Last edited by clarenceux; 05-15-2009 at 01:10 AM.
clarenceux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:29 AM   #22
nanabanana

nanabanana has a neutral reputation

hmmm, so what about girls. does 1 apply?
ie. accept ntu first but appeal for nus?
nanabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #23
jellybean

jellybean has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeychrix View Post
Allow me to hijack abit here? Is it possible to switch faculties once you are in NUS? If yes, by when should the switch be done by? 1st sem, 1st year? Also, if yes, any barriers to switching?

Cuz I was thinking, if switching faculties is possible (esp switching to a fac that requires lower grades), then the appeal is redundant. One could just go in and attempt the course first and switch out later if one finds it not to one's liking, esp if one has a wide range of interests and cannot decide on one's course choice now...

Just a thought.
i think its possible to switch major across different faculties. usually there will be this Unrestricted elective modules component where u can do courses in other faculties other than ur major/fac, i think you can use that opportunity to try out other courses which are also to your liking and if you decide that you would prefer another course, it should be possible to switch major. but it would be better if you make a decision for a particular course and stick to it because switching would mean a waste of time/ fees, unless you take up an additional double major (in 2nd year)
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #24
jellybean

jellybean has a neutral reputation

if you appeal to a course with lower requirements, it would surely be easier than if you appeal to one with higher requirements...goes without saying ._. but appealing to a course with lower requirements, provided the faculty still has vacancies and that they are not put off by you choosing them as your 3rd or 4th choice initially. from what i gather around the forum, many ppl seem to be interested in NUS FASS and want to appeal "down" into FASS from a faculty/course with higher requirements. does anyone know roughly whats the intake for FASS. im curious in the switch of interest towards FASS, anyone care to share why?
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #25
ripepumpkin

ripepumpkin has a neutral reputation

FASS intake is about, 1600, if you look at the nus website

ahh sorry about that, remembered wrong ><"

Last edited by ripepumpkin; 05-15-2009 at 11:36 AM.
ripepumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #26
clarenceux

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanabanana View Post
hmmm, so what about girls. does 1 apply?
ie. accept ntu first but appeal for nus?
Hi nanabanana,

To answer your question, 1 is applicable for both genders. In fact, 2 and 3 are also applicable for girls with the sole exception for 4, which will only take effect if Singapore decides to introduce NS conscription for the ladies one day. So until that day (if it ever comes), reservation of offer for NSFs will remain is exclusively for boys only.

It is recommended that you accept an offer and appeal at the same time. This is to ensure that you have a place in the local unis in the event of an unsuccessful appeal. It is certainly unwise if you give up an offer in the hope that your appeal will be successful.

Generally, appeal is for the following situation for both genders:
1) those who are not offered any place in the 3 local unis;
2) offered a place in uni A but wish to appeal for a place in uni B; and,
3) offered a place in uni A but wish to appeal for another course in the same uni

(From NUS) Please note that appeals to Architecture, Dentistry, Industrial Design, all Law-related courses, Medicine, Nursing and some of the double / concurrent degree programmes that require a selection interview, will not be considered, unless you have taken the required aptitude tests and interviews conducted earlier.

That is so far I can think of right now. Perhaps if you have any other situation, feel free to ask about it.

You can appeal for any course ranked in your choices, be it higher or lower in the order of preference than what you are offered. However, it is really depending on the demand (popularity of course) and supply (places available).

I will not comment on whether should you appeal for a course that is higher or lower in the order of preference. It is really depending on how you position your choice. However, if you really wish to seek an opinion, I will not mind giving my two cents worth but please bear in mind that there is no guarantee in whether your appeal will be successful.

I will also not comment on whether you can appeal for a course that is not among your choices, because I really have no idea on this. Perhaps you wish to e-mail NUS/NTU/SMU and ask them about it.

For NSFs (regardless whether have they reserved a place or otherwise), students who retake A level, and those intend to apply again next year with this year's results, please note that you will be competing with the graduating batch of JC and polytechnic students next year. You will notbe competing with your own cohort.

This paragraph is dedicated to the NSFs. If you have reserved a place in one of the local unis, you may apply again if you wish to switch to another course/uni. If your application is successful, you have the choice to retain your reserved offer or accept your new offer. For the obvious reason, this applies to boys only

Please correct me if I have made any mistake. In any case, I wish you luck in receiving an offer that you desire soon!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #27
sonrocker

sonrocker has a neutral reputation

@clarenceux: U r unbelievable. Thank u for clearing things up.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #28
clarenceux

@sonrocker
Haha unbelievable in the sense that zero reliability and zero credibility, or unbelievable that i actually have the patience to write 2 long posts? lols.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #29
sonrocker

sonrocker has a neutral reputation

I like ur patience n humility. seriously.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #30
violet28

violet28 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripepumpkin View Post
FASS intake is about, 1100, if you look at the nus website
I thot last year was 1613? How come 1100 this year? Got any link to look at?
violet28 is offline   Reply With Quote