BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
elee

elee has a neutral reputation
Default NUS Hall Life

anybody planning to stay in hall? if so, which one are you intending to stay in?

and what's hall life all about?
elee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Michelle
BrightSparks Expert

Michelle has a neutral reputation

I stayed at Temasek Hall eons ago. Hall life is a blast... 12midnight committee meetings, torturing freshmen, movie marathons, Fong Seng and 5mins walk to classes!
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
minmin

minmin has a neutral reputation

Hello, how do you gain pts to continue to stay in Hall?

Anyway, with 6 halls in NUS, anyone has any advice which one to choose?
minmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Michelle
BrightSparks Expert

Michelle has a neutral reputation

Points are gained when you join activities and committees. Meaning you really need to be active if you want to stay one. If you can, go for leadership roles like presidents/chairman/captain etc etc. Those got more points.

Anyway, that's the whole point of staying in a hall - to interact and have fun, plus some independence. No point if you just want to have a place to sleep...

As for which hall... i think they are all alright. During my time, TH was the hardest to get in and stay on. But different halls got different culture and strengths. Go ask your seniors!
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
elee

elee has a neutral reputation

i think the most convenient way to decide which hall to stay in is to find out which are the ones nearer to your faculty.

if you are more concerned with the their respective cultures, these are some of the opinions i heard from seniors:

Sheares and Kent Ridge Halls are the newer halls. All single rooms.

Temasek and Eusoff (if i din remember wrongly) are the sports hall, meaning they perform well in sports.

The hall nearer to Science is the not-so-active hall.

elee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee View Post
i think the most convenient way to decide which hall to stay in is to find out which are the ones nearer to your faculty.

if you are more concerned with the their respective cultures, these are some of the opinions i heard from seniors:

Temasek and Eusoff (if i din remember wrongly) are the sports hall, meaning they perform well in sports.

i think it's equally important to look at the facilities for example, I think only a handful of NTU halls have air-con. if you're an eskimo like me, you're gonna have to consider that for example.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #7
kemise89

kemise89 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
i think it's equally important to look at the facilities for example, I think only a handful of NTU halls have air-con. if you're an eskimo like me, you're gonna have to consider that for example.
lol everyone posting here but no one posting in my ntu hotel thread so i presume there are more nus seniors here compared to ntu hahah!
kemise89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
abcde

abcde has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee View Post

Hmm Temasek and Eusoff are the sports halls? Does tt mean if you have a cca strong in sports u will have a higher chance of getting into these halls then those who hv more arts-inclined CCA portfolios?
I wonder if CCA is the only factor they look at when freshmen apply for hostels. Do they take into account distance frm home too, and which factor's more impt?
abcde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
minmin

minmin has a neutral reputation

hey ya. anyone knows if for eg. you are good at running but not as good as those trackers. will eg. Temasek hall which has alot of good trackers be sending all those who are interested in joining track and field of IHG?
minmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #10
Zyvroklsayt

Zyvroklsayt has a neutral reputation

I'm applying into Raffles Hall as 1st Choice, Eusoff as 2nd. Both are due to faculty proximity reasons, but there's another small reason for Raffles, which.. yeah. not now.

Anyone else applying?
PGP Resident (08/09, 09/10Sem1), Raffles Hall Resident (09/10Sem2)
Email: [email protected]

Rule 2 from The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates: "A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on."
Zyvroklsayt is offline   Reply With Quote