BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
riz_samass

riz_samass has a neutral reputation
Default NUS Project & Facilities Management

Hi, can someone give an overview about this course?

What are the modules like?
Are they very tough?
What are the career prospects?

The info on the website are quite vague.
Because I just got offer from PFM.
Thanks
riz_samass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
needtoknow

needtoknow has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz_samass View Post
Hi, can someone give an overview about this course?

What are the modules like?
Are they very tough?
What are the career prospects?

The info on the website are quite vague.
Because I just got offer from PFM.
Thanks
Hi you can check out the programme structure and everything on the NUS website.
http://www.pfm.nus.edu.sg/

http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/nusb...qs.html#prog_C

I just got an offer from PFM too. I'm not a science person though, I have been studying arts subjects my whole life and have absolutely no clue about building, architecture and the like. I browsed some other forums and websites and they all seem to indicate that PFM is quite technical and it's about construction, projects, facilities, building, etc

Not really sure myself too.

Btw, are u going to the department of building open house?
needtoknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Lurv_1989

Lurv_1989 has a neutral reputation

Hi there! I am also offered the PFM course.. I got my offer somewhere in mid April.. I have been deliberating whether I should take up this course..

I come from a business background in poly so this is a bit different from what I used to do.. I think I'm going to appeal to Business or Economics when the appeal period starts.. But I'm still considering this course because it has some business element in it, and allows us to take a major in business..

When I called the School, the lady who spoke to me advised me to take on the course as if my GPA in Uni is good, I might even be offered a chance to do PFM with a double degree in Biz..

Btw, are you all guys? Coz I think its quite uncommon to see girls getting into such courses right?
Lurv_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Lurv_1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtoknow View Post
Hi you can check out the programme structure and everything on the NUS website.
http://www.pfm.nus.edu.sg/

http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/nusb...qs.html#prog_C

I just got an offer from PFM too. I'm not a science person though, I have been studying arts subjects my whole life and have absolutely no clue about building, architecture and the like. I browsed some other forums and websites and they all seem to indicate that PFM is quite technical and it's about construction, projects, facilities, building, etc

Not really sure myself too.

Btw, are u going to the department of building open house?
I'm going.. Its on the 18th this month right? Haha..
Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
needtoknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurv_1989 View Post
Hi there! I am also offered the PFM course.. I got my offer somewhere in mid April.. I have been deliberating whether I should take up this course..

I come from a business background in poly so this is a bit different from what I used to do.. I think I'm going to appeal to Business or Economics when the appeal period starts.. But I'm still considering this course because it has some business element in it, and allows us to take a major in business..

When I called the School, the lady who spoke to me advised me to take on the course as if my GPA in Uni is good, I might even be offered a chance to do PFM with a double degree in Biz..

Btw, are you all guys? Coz I think its quite uncommon to see girls getting into such courses right?
So for example if we do really well in PFM we'll get to possibly do a double degree in the second year with business? Coolness!
Anyway, what are the career prospects for PFM like? I'm not really sure.

Btw, I'm a girl lol! Are u one too?

yeah 18th

Last edited by needtoknow; 05-14-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Lurv_1989

Quote:
So for example if we do really well in PFM we'll get to possibly do a double degree in the second year with business? Coolness!
Anyway, what are the career prospects for PFM like? I'm not really sure.

Btw, I'm a girl lol! Are u one too?

yeah 18th
Yes. This is what I confirmed from the NUS Officer from the School of Environment and Design. She refered me to this link:

http://bba.nus.edu/dualdegree_adhoc.html

If we were to take a minor or major in business, we would have to check out the other link which she refered me to:

http://bba.nus.edu/majorminor_major_mgmt.html

As for the career prospects, she told me that we are not really limited to the building and construction industry. As we will be studying relatively general modules like risk management, there is a possibility in working in other industries or fields. She told me to broaden my perspective of the course as our career path ultimately depends on who we want to be. She also told me that even though this year they are producing their first batch of graduates, most of their graduates are offered jobs before they even graduate from NUS, and told me that I should be happy to land a place in NUS as competition is rather stiff this year.

Haha.. But after hearing what she said, I am a little bit more confident in going for the course.. Oh ya! I'm a girl too! Haha.. Don't think guys would fancy a username like mine.. LOL!!

You going alone??

Last edited by Lurv_1989; 05-15-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
needtoknow

Quote:
Yes. This is what I confirmed from the NUS Officer from the School of Environment and Design. She refered me to this link:

http://bba.nus.edu/dualdegree_adhoc.html

If we were to take a minor or major in business, we would have to check out the other link which she refered me to:

http://bba.nus.edu/majorminor_major_mgmt.html

As for the career prospects, she told me that we are not really limited to the building and construction industry. As we will be studying relatively general modules like risk management, there is a possibility in working in other industries or fields. She told me to broaden my perspective of the course as our career path ultimately depends on who we want to be. She also told me that even though this year they are producing their first batch of graduates, most of their graduates are offered jobs before they even graduate from NUS, and told me that I should be happy to land a place in NUS as competition is rather stiff this year.

Haha.. But after hearing what she said, I am a little bit more confident in going for the course.. Oh ya! I'm a girl too! Haha.. Don't think guys would fancy a username like mine.. LOL!!

You going alone??
I kind of skimmed through the contents in the link you provided. Seems like one has got to be pretty brilliant though to do it.( obviously cuz it's a double degree ) I don't know if I'll be able to get really good grades given that I don't have a great interest in this course. But I'll try I guess.

Yeah hahaha!

I'm bringing my dad. I'm not sure though.. Would it be strange if he went with me? Because I don't know if the rest will be going alone or with someone else. But if noone else brings their parent it will be kinda awkward. Haha. Are you going alone??

I don't know. Maybe I'll eventually not bring my dad cuz I don't think he's very willing to go as well..haha
Old 05-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
Lurv_1989

Quote:
I kind of skimmed through the contents in the link you provided. Seems like one has got to be pretty brilliant though to do it.( obviously cuz it's a double degree ) I don't know if I'll be able to get really good grades given that I don't have a great interest in this course. But I'll try I guess.

Yeah hahaha!

I'm bringing my dad. I'm not sure though.. Would it be strange if he went with me? Because I don't know if the rest will be going alone or with someone else. But if noone else brings their parent it will be kinda awkward. Haha. Are you going alone??

I don't know. Maybe I'll eventually not bring my dad cuz I don't think he's very willing to go as well..haha
I'm going with my parents.. Haha..

I think I can make a better decision after the Open House. The officer mentioned that we could interact with the teaching staff to know more about the course.

Oh, btw, is this the only offer you have from the 3 local unis? And whats your grades like? Coz I just wanna know how difficult it is to get into this course..
Old 05-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
needtoknow

Quote:
I'm going with my parents.. Haha..

I think I can make a better decision after the Open House. The officer mentioned that we could interact with the teaching staff to know more about the course.

Oh, btw, is this the only offer you have from the 3 local unis? And whats your grades like? Coz I just wanna know how difficult it is to get into this course..
Haha okay well seems like it's okay to bring my dad then Hahahha

Yes I didn't want to go at first but I thought it would be good if I found out more from the profs

I didn't apply for SMU... I was offered English Lit from NTU. English lit is more suitable for me I guess because I am an arts student. However I don't know whether I can write literature on a deeper level you know. I really wanted FASS because there's a lot more majors there, and they let you take a few modules first so you can try them out.But I got PFM haha

My grades are not really good actually.. 75points.. Or do you wanna know the specifics? lol

What's your grades like? And was PFM your first choice?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
riz_samass

riz_samass has a neutral reputation

the day when I got my PFM offer, I told a few ppl and they all asked me the same question "What the hell is PFM?" I kinda didn't know how to answer. I tried to give them some sort of example, smt like Donald Trump, or Capitaland or Keppel Holdings... But I wasn't sure either.
And until now, I still feel blur abt this course. My relatives advised me that this was like a good course with very promising prospects, i.e. I would not have to go to the construction site, with the yellow hard hat, but instead sit in the office, look over the whole project... (sounds great)

However, I think, since some ppl say this course is best if one combines it with a minor or a second major in Business, so I guess this course's nature is pretty muhc about leadership. I think the purpose is to educate the students to be leaders/managers. As you can realize, the modules seem to train us with lots of leadership skills, i.e. communications, human resources.... so in a way, it is linked to Business, i guess.

Yet, i still feel unsure about the career prospects of this course. Although it may be linked to the business realm, can a PFM graduate work for a bank or an economic-related institution? The officers keep telling us that there's a very broad range of careers to choose, but in fact, aren't "there is a possibility in working in other industries or fields" or "broaden your perspectives" or "career path ultimately depends on who we want to be" always their responses? and not just PFM officers, I believe all officers of other courses say the same thing. The worst thing is that we don't have any statistics to follow, partially because this course is new, partially because the cohort for this course is small.

Anw, PFM was my 6th choice, and this offer, to me, was totally out of expectation. I got 79 rank pts (although with an E for GP) but I didn't
expect to get this. I was hoping for FASS (my 3rd choice) though I knew an E for GP might prevent that. But to my surprise, I didn't get my 4th and 5th choices, either (Infosys and Comp). So I really question the the admission procedure. Seemed like they had some special procedures that we didn't know about.
riz_samass is offline   Reply With Quote