BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Rate My Chances!
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:26 AM   #11
wuyuchen1111

wuyuchen1111 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaster View Post
hi I would really need your help here!

I would like to know how to calculate UAS for polytechnic applicants?
My GPA is 3.61 (EEE) and O level Eng B3, A1 for Amaths maths physics chem POA. What are the chances of getting into NTU/NUS Accountancy with IGP of 3.8.

Is my O level good enough to pull up my UAS to compete against a 3.8 GPA?

Lastly, if I put accountancy first choice and electrical engg second choice, but fail to get into first choice, will I be disadvantaged against others who placed electrical engg as first choice?

(A staff from NUS admission office told me that applicants who place the course as their first choice and meets the cut-off point will get admitted first. While another staff at NTU told me there is no disadvantage regardless of first or subsequent choices.)
There is basically no chance for you to get into accountancy as yor GpA is quite far from their 10th percentile. For O level, most kids who study accountancy in poly should have around 11 points in total, for those who eventually able to meet the IGP 10th percentile and have the courage to apply, many of them may have single digit result in O level. Hence, your O level result of 7 points is above average, but it most likely is not enough to help to pull your UAS up for Accountancy. Furthermore, even if you are selected for interview, they will surely ask you why you want to switch from engineering to business, be prepared for it.

As for the question regarding to putting EEE as 2nd choice, the answer is positive, yes, it will be a disadvantage compared to those who put EEE as first choice. It's the computerized system's flaw, which you can't do anything about it. NTU is definitely trying very hard to get better students, so maybe they will do some manual sorting to try to admit more deserving candidates, your GpA is still much higher than NTU EEE's 10th percentile if I am not mistaken, and your O level is a lot higher compared to engineering poly graduates, so you should have no problem if getting admission even if you place it as 2nd choice.

Lastly, no one knows how universities calculate UAS since they do not reveal the algorithm. All feedbacks you get through forums should strictly be "just for info" basis.
wuyuchen1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #12
rcmaster

rcmaster has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyuchen1111 View Post
There is basically no chance for you to get into accountancy as yor GpA is quite far from their 10th percentile. For O level, most kids who study accountancy in poly should have around 11 points in total, for those who eventually able to meet the IGP 10th percentile and have the courage to apply, many of them may have single digit result in O level. Hence, your O level result of 7 points is above average, but it most likely is not enough to help to pull your UAS up for Accountancy. Furthermore, even if you are selected for interview, they will surely ask you why you want to switch from engineering to business, be prepared for it.

As for the question regarding to putting EEE as 2nd choice, the answer is positive, yes, it will be a disadvantage compared to those who put EEE as first choice. It's the computerized system's flaw, which you can't do anything about it. NTU is definitely trying very hard to get better students, so maybe they will do some manual sorting to try to admit more deserving candidates, your GpA is still much higher than NTU EEE's 10th percentile if I am not mistaken, and your O level is a lot higher compared to engineering poly graduates, so you should have no problem if getting admission even if you place it as 2nd choice.

Lastly, no one knows how universities calculate UAS since they do not reveal the algorithm. All feedbacks you get through forums should strictly be "just for info" basis.
wuyuchen1111 thanks for ur info!

I have submitted my application with accounting as 1st and EEE as 2nd, hoping that maybe I can get in through NAA (although I know chances are very slim). I just hope I wont end up not getting any offer just because I wasted my 1st choice.
rcmaster is offline   Reply With Quote