BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Rate My Chances!
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
GSC1989

GSC1989 has a neutral reputation

Mod Copied from another post for easy reference:

NUS and NTU DA are two different processes:

I've posted this before on another thread but I'll repost this again for your reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1989 View Post
You should apply under Discretionary Admissions as well. NTU's DA process is held before the mainstream process, meaning that you'll be considered for mainstream consideration even if you don't get through DA. You have nothing to lose. (source on NTU's DA)

For NUS, there is a separate cut-off for academic grades to be considered for DA. If you do meet this criteria your non-academics will then be evaluated. (source: NUS's DA). This cutoff is closely linked to the IGP cutoff for that year.

Either way, applying DA does nothing to hurt your chances at mainstream selection, so you should just apply to increase your chances.

In any case, you do not have anything to lose by applying through DA.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Forum viewers and users should be aware that there is a need to process and extract relevant information from posts objectively especially when opinions are involved.

Last edited by GSC1989; 03-06-2011 at 03:46 PM.
GSC1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
meow

meow has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Mod Copied from another post for easy reference:

NUS and NTU DA are two different processes:

I've posted this before on another thread but I'll repost this again for your reference:

In any case, you do not have anything to lose by applying through DA.
So is DA applied together with the normal application? ( regarding the time line)
meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:46 AM   #3
GSC1989

Quote:
So is DA applied together with the normal application? ( regarding the time line)
Yes. In addition, the supporting documents for the DA must be submitted by the stipulated date.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Forum viewers and users should be aware that there is a need to process and extract relevant information from posts objectively especially when opinions are involved.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
blackforest

blackforest has a neutral reputation

Just wondering, what are some of the stuffs that needs to be prepared for DA? Testimonials from teachers? Please help.. thanks!
blackforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
nurree

nurree has a neutral reputation

do we also need to do a CV on top of the testimonials?
nurree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Akiyama

Akiyama has a neutral reputation

yea.. wat do we nid to prepare for DA??
Akiyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
GSC1989

I do believe you should include whatever supporting documents that you think will best substantiate your application: evidence of your non-academic achievements, CCA records, testimonials, referral letters etc. From what I have gathered, a CV is not necessary although it might help facilitate the process of evaluating you as a person.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
nurree

nurree has a neutral reputation

Quote:
I do believe you should include whatever supporting documents that you think will best substantiate your application: evidence of your non-academic achievements, CCA records, testimonials, referral letters etc. From what I have gathered, a CV is not necessary although it might help facilitate the process of evaluating you as a person.
but wouldn't a CV show a summarised list of your achievements? i read that you can only send up to 3 documents as evidence. the rest would not be of use should you be called up for an interview. correct me if i'm wrong (:
nurree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
GSC1989

It will still help. Supporting documents are still evaluated even after the interview. You should always prepare extra supporting documents to submit to the interviewers if needed; that can substantiate your application as proof of your non-academic achievements (otherwise people could just freely write about non-existent achievements and not have anything to show for it).

For NTU specifically, the maximum amount of appraisals that can be uploaded is 3. The rest of the relevant supporting documents (other than the appraisals) has to be shown for verification at the DA interview. This is where the CV could come in handy; it would provide, as you said, a summarized list of your achievements for easy reading.

For NUS however, you do have to send the supporting documents separately. (I do believe its by mail).

Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
meow

meow has a neutral reputation

Quote:
It will still help. Supporting documents are still evaluated even after the interview. You should always prepare extra supporting documents to submit to the interviewers if needed; that can substantiate your application as proof of your non-academic achievements (otherwise people could just freely write about non-existent achievements and not have anything to show for it).

For NTU specifically, the maximum amount of appraisals that can be uploaded is 3. The rest of the relevant supporting documents (other than the appraisals) has to be shown for verification at the DA interview. This is where the CV could come in handy; it would provide, as you said, a summarized list of your achievements for easy reading.

For NUS however, you do have to send the supporting documents separately. (I do believe its by mail).
May i ask what is CV? Is it resume?
meow is offline   Reply With Quote