BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > BrightSparks Community > BrightSparks Cafe > JC & Poly Campus Talk
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
louis7788

louis7788 has a neutral reputation
Default Helpline for Polytechnic Students

Hi everyone,

After being active on this forum for a few months, i noticed that most of the people here posting and answers are for JC students. Thus, i will like to start a thread just for poly peeps who wish to find out more about further education opportunities for themselves! So feel free to post any questions you might have and i will try my best to answer or at least direct you in the right direction.

Cheers everyone!
louis7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
silentears

silentears has a neutral reputation

have u gotten any offers from the overseas uni yet?
silentears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
louis7788

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentears View Post
have u gotten any offers from the overseas uni yet?
Nope, still in the midst of gathering stuff but should be sending in everything by end dec!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
silentears

silentears has a neutral reputation

Anyway Louis, I suppose u are a business polytechnic graduate right?

I am from NYP and I graduated from Molecular Biotechnology with a gpa of 3.88 (with merit), currently serving the nation.

I applied to NUS/NTU accountancy and business programs this year.

However I was rejected by both uni. The reason was because I didn't take Additional Maths at "O" levels.

(I didn't apply to SMU, but A maths is also required too)

Then I came across ur thread.
I would like to know is it harder for me to apply to overseas uni (UK/US)?

I saw that in UK economics is much favoured than business related degrees. However my Maths sucks (C6 at O levels).

(Anyway, the reason I hope to switch course is because I hope to enter the financial industry next time).

Mind if you could share some light on applying to overseas universities for poly students like us?

(I am looking at "target" schools that can boost my chance of getting into the financial industry)
silentears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
louis7788

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentears View Post
Anyway Louis, I suppose u are a business polytechnic graduate right?

I am from NYP and I graduated from Molecular Biotechnology with a gpa of 3.88 (with merit), currently serving the nation.

I applied to NUS/NTU accountancy and business programs this year.

However I was rejected by both uni. The reason was because I didn't take Additional Maths at "O" levels.

(I didn't apply to SMU, but A maths is also required too)

Then I came across ur thread.
I would like to know is it harder for me to apply to overseas uni (UK/US)?

I saw that in UK economics is much favoured than business related degrees. However my Maths sucks (C6 at O levels).

(Anyway, the reason I hope to switch course is because I hope to enter the financial industry next time).

Mind if you could share some light on applying to overseas universities for poly students like us?

(I am looking at "target" schools that can boost my chance of getting into the financial industry)
Hello,

Yes. I'm from SP Business School. Thats a very good result. To answer your question, you need to understand that UK universities value mathematics highly. I emailed University of Warwick and their response is this when i ask with regards to application to Warwick Business School.

"We typically consider a CGPA of at least 3.5 and above for Diploma-holders for entry to our programmes. However, some courses may have additional requirements, such as essential background in Mathematics, Physics etc., and stipulate that applicants have relevant academic background. Applicants with a high CGPA but without essential background in key subjects deemed critical to the programme are unlikely to receive an offer. Diploma-holders are also required to send their transcript together with their application so that Admissions Tutors can discern the modular content of the Diploma course, and decide how to frame the offer, if an offer is made.

Unless your Diploma programme had a lot of Mathematics content, I doubt that Warwick Business School (WBS) would be in a position to make you an offer. You can, of course, sign up for the STEP (http://www.britishcouncil.org.sg/iel...missions-tests) at British Council, which is offered in June every year. This may boost your chances of receiving an offer from WBS"

That being said, you may have achievements that i am unaware of which can boost your application. Your personal essay will play a large part in determining whether you will get a place or not so do spend time working on it.

With regards to the local universities, i will suggest that you apply to SMU too as they stated that they accept applicants from all backgrounds. Do take note that all applicants will need to undergo an interview.

That said, you need to ask yourself why do you wish to enter the finanical industry. Switching from the science field to business is an extreme switch and a lot of universities will question you on that. Thus, your reasons need to be sound enough to convince the universities.

To be frank you stand a good chance of obtaining a scholarship with your current results with the science field. Why not try for that too?

Hope these helps!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
louis7788

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvestige View Post
Hello, I am from NP accountancy (final year) but I am actually interested in switching to major in psychology. Will local universities consider my diploma? Thanks.
Hello!

From what i understand from the talks given by the three local unis who offer psychology, your diploma will definately be considered. However, do check with the relevant unis again to get a definate answer yeah. That being said, switching from accountancy to psychology will mean that you will not have that much exemption. Consider carefully yeah!
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Keane

Keane has a neutral reputation

Hello! I'm a second year SP student from Diploma in Biomedical Science. Just wondering, would I be put at a disadvantage should I apply for NUS Accounting compared to other Diploma holders from a more relevant discipline? (even if I make the cut in terms of GPA requirements) TIA!
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
GSC1989

GSC1989 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Hello! I'm a second year SP student from Diploma in Biomedical Science. Just wondering, would I be put at a disadvantage should I apply for NUS Accounting compared to other Diploma holders from a more relevant discipline? (even if I make the cut in terms of GPA requirements) TIA!
The short answer is no; our local universities do not practice course discrimination on admission to general courses like accountancy/business. That is to say that, the computation of the university score (which is used for mainstream admission) is blind to the course you came from.

However, should you be borderline in terms of admission and/or require an interview to get in, coming from a accountancy/business background in polytechnic will increase your chances of getting in.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Forum viewers and users should be aware that there is a need to process and extract relevant information from posts objectively especially when opinions are involved.
GSC1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
louis7788

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvestige View Post
Hello!
Thank you for your help! Will they probably ask me to go for an interview because of this?
For SMU, they stated that regardless of where you come from, you will need to go for an interview!

For the other two, they might as it is a big switch! Do take it in your stride though. If they are calling you up that means that they are already interested in your application and it is then up to you to convince them of your passion in psychology!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
louis7788

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1989 View Post
The short answer is no; our local universities do not practice course discrimination on admission to general courses like accountancy/business. That is to say that, the computation of the university score (which is used for mainstream admission) is blind to the course you came from.

However, should you be borderline in terms of admission and/or require an interview to get in, coming from a accountancy/business background in polytechnic will increase your chances of getting in.
Yup, think GSC answered everything. Good luck!