BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Government > Public Service Commission
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
ripepumpkin

ripepumpkin has a neutral reputation
Default PSC psychological interview

you have to be shortlisted to be scheduled for a psychological interview? and is this followed by the interview with the board?
thanks
ripepumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

Yes, I think once you are shortlisted you go for both.
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
ripepumpkin

ripepumpkin has a neutral reputation
Default thanks!

oh hmmmm, thanks! (:
ripepumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
AvlynCriss

AvlynCriss has a neutral reputation

Not straight away. You will still have to be notified by someone after your psychological interview to update your particulars and send in some documents. It takes time for the psychologists to review and prepare the report for the board.
AvlynCriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
no0b1

no0b1 has a neutral reputation

Hi, does anyone know what kind of questions are asked in the psychological interview? Do they ask personal questions or questions about your achievements?
no0b1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
DukeBlue

DukeBlue has a neutral reputation

I have gone through the entire PSC process twice (once in Jan 2003 and again in Dec 2008) so here's what I recall about both times. It’s a couple hours long (!! Bring water) and you’re talking most of the time. Based on what I remember, here’s what they ask:

They ask you about your relationships with family, friends, significant other (if there is one).
Reflect on yourself: weaknesses, strengths, where you are in this life, what you’re looking towards
Reflect on significant incidents in your life that reveal who you are and your working style: a time when you had to resolve a conflict among team members? Or lead a team towards a difficult goal? How do you deal with subordinates who fail you? Have you ever had to side with one friend, against another? What did you learn from that incident, and is there anything you’d have done differently? Have you ever had to work with someone drastically different from you? Use your imagination to come up with other questions in a similar vein.
Reflect on significant periods in your life: what did you learn in college/JC? Significant friends you made and how they impacted your life? Most rewarding endeavors?

Basically, it would serve you well to sit and be very, very honest and introspective about your life, yourself, your motivations, and how you’d fit into this larger world. Write down your thoughts if it helps; if you consistently keep a journal/diary, now’s a good time to re-read it. Introverts tend to do better at this sort of reflection, but extroverts can easily pick it up as a good habit: not just for interviews, but for life in general. It always helps to pull back periodically and try to figure out where you’re headed.

There are also the PSC psychometric tests, but more on them here.

Last edited by DukeBlue; 04-22-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added link
DukeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
twirling

twirling has a neutral reputation

What should we wear to the final interview?
twirling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
mit

mit has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBlue View Post
(And if anyone makes it through to the final ten-on-one interview with the PSC, I may be able to help again).
Yes Please! What should we expect in terms of questions, etc? Thanks!
mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
DukeBlue

DukeBlue has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirling View Post
What should we wear to the final interview?
I wore full formal attire i.e. business suit (shirt, tie, black shoes, suit jacket and suit pants).
Old 03-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
AvlynCriss

AvlynCriss has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit View Post
Yes Please! What should we expect in terms of questions, etc? Thanks!
I can sum it up very quickly - anything under the sun is fair game.

However, I can narrow down to several possible categories: current affairs, ethical issues, your essay, government...

Basically, the only preparation you can have for the interview is to be quick on your feet, and thoughtful in your replies.
AvlynCriss is offline   Reply With Quote