BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
kevin647

kevin647 has a neutral reputation
Default Need guidance or advice with your university application?

Hello there!

Are you applying to university and confused by the admissions process, deadlines, and documents required? Or are you struggling with your personal statement and need some guidance or review?

The SuccessGoGo team can help you. We are a group of ex Ivy-league and Oxbridge graduates currently working in the largest investment banks, law firms, consulting firms and MNCs in the world.

Having been in your position and struggled with the admissions process, we are well placed to guide you through the application process.

If you have any question at all, feel free to leave your question in this thread and we will respond to you. You can also submit your personal statement for a completely free review by someone in your university.

Visit us at www.SuccessGoGo.com to find out more now. All our services are completely FREE of charge.

Last edited by kevin647; 04-16-2017 at 06:45 PM.
kevin647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
Sanjay0602

Sanjay0602 has a neutral reputation

Hello! I am actually interested in studying Dentistry here at NUS! I am a Singapore Permanent Resident who has done an Indian curriculum, and possessing Indian Standard 12 Certificate (equivalent to A Levels), my grades are good! I have done couple of dental attachments! Extracurricular wise, I am a Mensa Singapore member, and have also volunteered as a Science Explainer at Science Centre Singapore for three months! What else should I do to gain admission @ NUS Dentistry! I am very aware of the fact that Dentistry is a highly competitive course, mainly due to limited seats on offer! Should I take BMAT? What do you recommend? Thanks in advance!!
Sanjay0602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
kevin647

Default Response to Sanjay 0602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay0602 View Post
Hello! I am actually interested in studying Dentistry here at NUS! I am a Singapore Permanent Resident who has done an Indian curriculum, and possessing Indian Standard 12 Certificate (equivalent to A Levels), my grades are good! I have done couple of dental attachments! Extracurricular wise, I am a Mensa Singapore member, and have also volunteered as a Science Explainer at Science Centre Singapore for three months! What else should I do to gain admission @ NUS Dentistry! I am very aware of the fact that Dentistry is a highly competitive course, mainly due to limited seats on offer! Should I take BMAT? What do you recommend? Thanks in advance!!
Hello Sir!

Great to hear you are interested in studying at NUS! That's quite a few questions you have there, lets address them individually:

Should you take the BMAT

The BMAT is not strictly required. While it will definitely not hurt your chances if you have a great score, we would recommend that you instead spend the time on other activities that will further your chances at getting into NUS dentistry.

Admissions Criteria
The NUS dentistry webpage (http://www.dentistry.nus.edu.sg/Education/ug%20FAQ.html) has a fantastic amount of resources on their admissions criteria. There are a couple of main hurdles you need to pass:

1. Academic
You must have studied (1) Chemistry (2) either Biology/Physics and (3) a third subject as well as English and obtained good grades in them (equivalent to A at the A levels).

2. Multiple Mini Interviews
From 2016, NUS Dentistry has replaced the conventional panel interview with Multiple Mini Interviews (MMIs). The Multiple Mini Interviews comprise a circuit of stations which could include an interview or performance of a specific activity. These stations aim to examine the applicants’ interest in Dentistry and if they suitably display attributes oral health care professionals should espouse.

3. Manual Dexterity Test
The Manual Dexterity Test is a 2-hour test that assesses the dexterity of the hands and spatial visualisation.

What can you do to improve your chances.
We will assume that you have studied the necessary subjects and have obtained good grades for them.

Based on your extracurricular activities in dental attachments, Mensa, and Science Center, we would say that you have definitely done enough to demonstrate your interest in Science and in being a dentist. The key then would be to try to convince your interviewers of your passion in dentistry.

Prepare for the Multiple Mini Interviews just like you would a set of normal interviews. This would mean preparing to answer questions on:
  1. Why do you want to be a dentist?
  2. What have you done to find out more about being a dentist?
  3. Do you think you have what it takes to be a good dentist?
  4. The job of a dentist may be harder than you expect, do you think you can handle the stress and pressure?

Make sure you have a ready response to all these questions and more, and rehearse them in front of a mirror!

The Manual Dexterity test on the other hand is harder to prepare for. Do make sure you get plenty of exercise, and improve your dexterity by working on an intricate handcraft that you enjoy. Examples would include drawing, painting, woodcarving, playing the piano, knitting, cross stitching, soap carving etc. Pick one that you enjoy and work on it for a few hours a day, you will see massive benefits in a few weeks.

All the best for your application! Visit us at www.SuccessGoGo.com if you need any help at all!
Old 04-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #4
Sanjay0602

Thanks for the reply Sir! My grades in my final year (ie) Grade 12 examinations are :

Eng : 90 ; Math : 92 ; Phy : 78 ; Chem : 88 ; Bio : 86

My physics grade is low though I have applied to NUS with Dentistry as my first choice, and I am expecting to receive an invitation for the interview and MDT from them within this week, if not there are no chances for me to be shortlisted this year. I should try next year then!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
kevin647

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Sir! My grades in my final year (ie) Grade 12 examinations are :

Eng : 90 ; Math : 92 ; Phy : 78 ; Chem : 88 ; Bio : 86

My physics grade is low though I have applied to NUS with Dentistry as my first choice, and I am expecting to receive an invitation for the interview and MDT from them within this week, if not there are no chances for me to be shortlisted this year. I should try next year then!
Hello Sir!

Those grade are perfectly decent in our opinion. Basically your grades will read: Biology (86), Chemistry (88), Third Subject - Math (92), English (90). The last subject which may or may not be looked at will be Physics (78).

Your grades should be good enough to get you through to the interview stage. However that being said, the NUS Dentistry is a fairly competitive course, and the admissions process may not always be the most transparent. All the best! If you do not get shortlisted, you can always consider taking up a relevant course in NUS, and try to apply for a transfer after the end of your first year.

Keeping our fingers crossed for you in the meantime! If you get shortlisted, drop us a message at www.SuccessGoGo.com and we will arrange for a NUS Dentistry alumni to walk you through the interview process!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
Sanjay0602

Thanks for the guidance so far!!
Old 04-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
Sanjay0602

Hello! I unfortunately was not shortlisted to NUS Dentistry this year! How do you think I can upgrade my application as a whole, to at least be shortlisted for next year? I am also thinking of applying to UK universities for dentistry! Could you offer me any insights?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #8
kevin647

Quote:
Hello! I unfortunately was not shortlisted to NUS Dentistry this year! How do you think I can upgrade my application as a whole, to at least be shortlisted for next year? I am also thinking of applying to UK universities for dentistry! Could you offer me any insights?
Hello Sir!

Unfortunately I am sorry to hear that you did not get called up to the interview. As the shortlist to the interview is largely academic, if you did not get shortlisted this year there is not much you can do short of retaking your exams. But fret not. This is definitely not an indication of your academic prowess. NUS dentistry is a highly competitive course and it is likely that they are just more familiar with the GCE "A" Levels (and accordingly more inclined to accept students from the A level track).

Yes, the UK route is definitely very viable, simply because you get to apply to 5 different universities at one go. It may be more costly, but if you can afford it, it is well worth it. The course is no less vigorous than the one in NUS, and the culture, the people, the country is truly beautiful. I personally studied in the UK and had an absolute blast of a time. 

To help you fund the cost, you can try applying to grants from the Singapore government (http://www.physician.mohh.com.sg/PEG/). Alternatively, if you self-fund your education in UK, you will not be subject to a bond (unlike NUS), and your higher initial earnings will actually go some way to offsetting the cost of your education.

If you are interested to apply to the UK, do let us know and we can guide you along. Or if you have any other questions at all, please don't hesitate to drop us an email at [email protected]!  

Tags
free advice and help, university application