BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Graduation

Graduation has a neutral reputation
Default Only the Rich can study overseas?

Hi im aware that going overseas require a large sum of money.
30k a year for tuition fees, not inclusive of hostel fees daily expenditure.
This would add up to about 150k for a decent 3 years degree.
Does this means that only the rich can study abroad?
Is this fair to the students who are Equally or if not more keen of overseas studies?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
PureFitness

PureFitness has a neutral reputation

Is it fair that there are children starving in Africa while here in Singapore, we have all-you-can-eat buffets?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Graduation

Dude this is in regards of education in singapore.
Was hoping someone would give suggestions if there are, on any ways in which the poor could have overseas studies opportunities as well.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
llamelvin

llamelvin has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graduation View Post
Dude this is in regards of education in singapore.
Was hoping someone would give suggestions if there are, on any ways in which the poor could have overseas studies opportunities as well.
Education in Singapore, overseas? A little contradiction there lol.
Assuming you're not trying for clinical courses like Medicine or Vet science, there are many scholarships that one can apply for. Many bursaries and grants are also given on a per need basis to help the less well-off. So yes, I would say there are ways for the poor to study overseas.

However, if it is a backup overseas education because you did not meet the cut in Singapore based on grades, then I think that the scholarship/bursaries application process might be a little tougher. Then again, if the university accepts you, there is a lightly chance of them awarding grants to help you with the tuition fees if you show your financial situation.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Graduation

oops type wrongly lol too agitated
Old 03-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Graduation

Ya precicely. I think Singaporean are too confined in the small country. I have no idea why our government arent encouraging students to get out of the country their comfort zone and look at the world at a different perspective.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Misconception

Misconception has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Ya precicely. I think Singaporean are too confined in the small country. I have no idea why our government arent encouraging students to get out of the country their comfort zone and look at the world at a different perspective.
Think about it this way...

Looking at the world with a different perspective is pretty risky in such a way that some students might not even consider coming back to Singapore.

There's this issue of 'Brain Drain' in developed countries.

And no, not only rich can study overseas, the smart people can too and one has gotta work hard for the prestigious scholarships if one cannot afford it.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
our gov is encouraging students to go for overseas experience.
- student exchange program
- allowing uni from overseas to participate in edu/job fair
- allowing embassy to promote edu to their countries
- VISA is easy to get.

there are low cost education.
- Germany tuition is very low at ~EUR$1K a yr
- Finland is still very much free
- Sweden was once free
- Canada was cheap a decade or 2 ago, same rates with NUS/NTU
- there are still good and cheap US Uni around that don't cost sgd$30K in tuition.
- there is alternative route to a degree as in doing a Assoc degree then transfer to do a degree, that can reduce cost. There are Community colleges here.
- Uni in HK are low in tuition

I don't see it is an issue with our gov, I think it is us! We are not opening our minds to look outside of the mainstream countries. We like to follow what our friends/family go. We also enjoy going to a place where you can find a good local crowd. With so much restrictions, one have to be smart and score scholarship or be well to do to do it.

Our country cannot hand out money to anyone that wants to go overseas.

Last edited by patryn33; 03-17-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Grandiloquence

Grandiloquence has a neutral reputation

LOL.. Now the government has to provide support using TAXPAYERS MONEY to not-smart people to go overseas to study? What is the justification for that? I understand if they provide money for v smart students, so that they can be groomed into future leading positions to benefit Singapore. For not-smart students like Thread Starter, I won't wanna pay for your expenses.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Graduation

Not asking them to provide them to provide for free.
I mean that why cant they similarly provide Interest free loans.
And if Singapore is such a great place to live in as portrayed, Brain Drain shouldnt be a problem right. LOL

Globalization is already so rampant. I really feel that our government should not be so restrictive.

I feel that this is the least they can do for local students in response to the EXTRA foreign competition they bring about.

Cant believe that a grade of ABB cant even get into NUS or NUS when in schools in UK such as Edinburgh which is much more accredited would accept students with such grades with open arms!

What is Singapore's education becoming....
Closed Thread