BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #21
dleesy

dleesy has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graduation View Post
Not asking them to provide them to provide for free.
I mean that why cant they similarly provide Interest free loans.
And if Singapore is such a great place to live in as portrayed, Brain Drain shouldnt be a problem right. LOL

Globalization is already so rampant. I really feel that our government should not be so restrictive.

I feel that this is the least they can do for local students in response to the EXTRA foreign competition they bring about.

Cant believe that a grade of ABB cant even get into NUS or NUS when in schools in UK such as Edinburgh which is much more accredited would accept students with such grades with open arms!

What is Singapore's education becoming....
Precisley!

International Mobility is impt. If u hv options, get the hell out from here?

Not all are rich, some took partial student loans, they never looked back.
International employers do go "round" in UK uni to employ those students

Last edited by dleesy; 04-02-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #22
dleesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
LOL.. Now the government has to provide support using TAXPAYERS MONEY to not-smart people to go overseas to study? What is the justification for that? I understand if they provide money for v smart students, so that they can be groomed into future leading positions to benefit Singapore. For not-smart students like Thread Starter, I won't wanna pay for your expenses.

Do u hv a choice in the first place?
I dun think so..
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #23
dleesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureFitness View Post
Is it fair that there are children starving in Africa while here in Singapore, we have all-you-can-eat buffets?
that's why i dun go for this kind of buffets.. can't stomach it...getting old?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #24
dleesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hualala View Post
I think you may have been speaking from a biased point of view because of your results, which i assume is ABB? and attributing too much blame on others.

Firstly, since when did grades such as ABB not qualify for NUS? There are many courses that you would have been able to qualify for except that they might not be of your interest.

Secondly, the government has already subsidised our local tuition fee, which is as much as they can do. By subsidising universities overseas, it would not make sense because it is like your own decision to go overseas to study- a luxury. However, you can attempt to get your subsidy from the overseas university anyway.

There is SUTD coming up to relieve this issue anyway. I think the government has done enough.

What you need to know is that the world is unfair. I want to go overseas to study but I do not have the money to do so too. What to do? Complain about the government or family? Nothing will change. What you can do is to find out what is best for you right now, be it in terms of courses locally or financial subsidy for overseas education.

just my humble opinion.

Depend how u look at things?..do u question those statistics?

eg..we can sell a plate of chicken rice for $3 (hawker ctr px) or $4.50 (food court) or $12.50 (hotel px?)

if our gov choose to sell it at $12.50 .. they can tell u it's heavily subsidised, right?

but if the gov who want to sell it at $3, then do u still think they "subsidised" a lot?..

If u are a true blue sgrean, u will know what I mean?

Last edited by dleesy; 04-02-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #25
kooky

kooky has a neutral reputation

I believe although we like to believe that everyone is born equal in this world, we know that is not true. There are people whom never have to worry about finances, and whether they would be able to pursue higher education. No one is denying the right to an education, it's simply a matter of being able to afford one that you want. Let's look at things in context - NUS is ranked amongst the top 30 universities in the world, as such you can say that the school fees are proportionate to it's standing. Without appropriate funding, universities wouldn't be able to attract high quality professors, teaching staff, admin etc. It wouldn't be able to do research, which contributes to the ranking of an university. It wouldn't have the resources to build and sustain the type of facilities that come hand in hand with a high standard of education. Simple analogy - if you want to drive a Bentley, you've got to pay the price. Like mentioned by many others, there are various subsidies to help those who need it. In addition, there are banks here like OCBC, DBS, UOB that offer education loans to students. There usually isn't any interest while you are still in school and once you've graduated, it becomes a low interest loan which you can gradually pay back. Most students in countries like US and UK upon gradudation start paying back their student loans. Such is the way of life. You either got to get with it and don't.
Closed Thread