BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
cheesecracker

cheesecracker has a neutral reputation
Default Advice when studying Medicine

Hi everyone!

I've been offered a place to study medicine at Trinity College Dublin this fall, and I'm hoping anyone studying (or who has studied) there can give me any advice. Local medical students are welcome to give their opinions as well!

What's it like studying there? Is the teaching/learning environment good? And will I be treated differently because I'm Asian? (I've heard western countries can be pretty racist, even now) Is it safe? (I know most countries pale in comparison to Singapore in terms of safety). And is there anything in particular I should be aware of?

And I'm a bit worried that I may be at a disadvantage when coping with the course work because I took Physics at the A levels and only have O level Bio. I've read a thread somewhere here saying that I won't be greatly disadvantaged, but should I still try to read up on A level bio? Or should I enjoy life before all the slogging in uni begins? haha

Last edited by cheesecracker; 04-15-2012 at 03:41 PM.
cheesecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
isaac

isaac has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Hi everyone!

I've been offered a place to study medicine at Trinity College Dublin this fall, and I'm hoping anyone studying (or who has studied) there can give me any advice. Local medical students are welcome to give their opinions as well!

What's it like studying there? Is the teaching/learning environment good? And will I be treated differently because I'm Asian? (I've heard western countries can be pretty racist, even now) Is it safe? (I know most countries pale in comparison to Singapore in terms of safety). And is there anything in particular I should be aware of?

And I'm a bit worried that I may be at a disadvantage when coping with the course work because I took Physics at the A levels and only have O level Bio. I've read a thread somewhere here saying that I won't be greatly disadvantaged, but should I still try to read up on A level bio? Or should I enjoy life before all the slogging in uni begins? haha
im in the uk year 1 med now and i didnt do a level bio too. it is a disadvantage but not that much, so long as you work harder at the biomedical sci portion of the course (usually the first term).
yup cheers
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
Bosty
Super Moderator

Bosty has a neutral reputation

Yeah, u will probably struggle a little for the basic sciences and molecular bio part (like DNA & genetics), but that can be compensated with hard-work

My cohort in aberdeen, the SGrean who scored higest amongst us didn't do bio either haha.

About racism, it should be alright. It only gets more serious when going on nights-out / when ppl are drunk. But generally, u should be able to fit in quite well. In fact, here in UK (not sure about ireland), they r quite cautious of making any racist remarks. It gets funny when u start ridiculing ur own race, and they would be so shocked haha.

U would be safe if u know where to avoid and not do stupid things. Every city has some street well associated with higher crime incidence / drugs. But in the day, there's really nothing to worry about (but considering that, u would be studying most of the time... so...)

Learning environment wise, i guess it depends on ur school. But i think Trinity college adopts the integrated learning style, so it should be pretty familiar. If it's PBL, then it would b pretty much project work and self-studying for most of the time.

Anyway, congrats on the acceptance!

Last edited by Bosty; 04-17-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Bosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
cheesecracker

cheesecracker has a neutral reputation

Hey thanks for your advice guys! It was really helpful.
cheesecracker is offline   Reply With Quote