BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Law
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #11
Pulse0011

Pulse0011 has a neutral reputation

Actually I screwed up my studies in the earlier years and I'm currently undergoing a Diploma with SIM finishing in June. Assuming I do a law foundation starting next year, by the time I'll be able to graduate and practice in Singapore I would be about 31-32 already. I really don't know if it's worth it to study till that age. Doing the math, a first-year law associate Singaporean male would be around 26, so I'll be like 5 to 6 years behind them.

ps: thanks for replying
Pulse0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #12
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

I think if law is really your dream career, then you definitely have to go for it. Starting late is better than not starting it at all. The only concerns would be your finances and your family: would you be able to afford it the tuition while living on your savings or working part-time for 3 or 4 years? would your spouse be supportive of it? need to support your parents? These are some valid concerns I can think of.

If you consider from a mainly financial perspective, then it'll really depend on how good you are as a lawyer. If you're good enough to make partner in a successful law firm, then we can talk about millions in disposable income over a few years. If you can't make Partner, being an Associate pays very well too - after a few years you'll be safely making maybe at least 7k. 7k a month is more than what many other people make even at the end of their careers. so the chances are that, either way, in the long run a law career would be more financially rewarding than any salaried career you can have with a Diploma. of course, if you strike it out on your own and set up a successful business then you can potentially earn money beyond a lawyer's wildest dreams.

What are you exact concerns regarding age? If you are accepted to a law firm, you'll be rewarded for your performance on an equal basis as anyone who starts out along with you, regardless of age. If you're concerned just because you're older than everyone else, then it might just be your own mindset about age and I don't think it's valid enough to stop you from pursuing your dreams.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #13
Pulse0011

Pulse0011 has a neutral reputation
Red face

My main concern is/was the age thing, and also getting into law school which is such a headache, been to a few overseas education placement agents, all say have to start from scratch, then I found out about the 1 year law foundation in UK, which is probably the safest route I found so far. No spouse, only girlfriend, so no worries in that area. Family very supportive. Apart from all that, I really really want to be a lawyer.
Pulse0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
iDeAs

iDeAs has a neutral reputation

There are several foundation programmes that can lead you into Year 1 Law. Duration is normally about 8 months, success rate over 98%. Happy to provide details, please check your private message.
iDeAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 AM   #15
Zyvroklsayt

Zyvroklsayt has a neutral reputation

I have several friends who are graduate LLB students in NUS Law School. One is a Political Science degree student, doing LLB now, he's 26 years old, in Year 2. Another classmate of mine is 28, he studied in JC, took a degree in NUS, and taught in Polytechnic before coming to Law School.

I don't think it is a problem to do study LLB as a graduate student. If anything these graduates tend to do better, most likely because they have more experience in studying, and more maturity in thinking.
PGP Resident (08/09, 09/10Sem1), Raffles Hall Resident (09/10Sem2)
Email: [email protected]

Rule 2 from The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates: "A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on."
Zyvroklsayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #16
iDeAs

iDeAs has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyvroklsayt View Post
I have several friends who are graduate LLB students in NUS Law School. One is a Political Science degree student, doing LLB now, he's 26 years old, in Year 2. Another classmate of mine is 28, he studied in JC, took a degree in NUS, and taught in Polytechnic before coming to Law School.

I don't think it is a problem to do study LLB as a graduate student. If anything these graduates tend to do better, most likely because they have more experience in studying, and more maturity in thinking.
Need a good GPA to get in.
iDeAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:20 AM   #17
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Just to clarify, Graduate LL.B Programme is a 3-year course and you need a good first degree to get in. So your friend who's 26 year old and is in Year 2, did he finish his 1st degree at 24? Means he finished that in 3 years also?
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #18
kreamid

kreamid has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyvroklsayt View Post

could anyone tell me what the standards are to get in through the graduate route?
what's the average gpa one should have in order to have a chance to get accepted?

Maybe Zyvroklsayt could share how well his friends did to get into the course.

thanks!
kreamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
deer

deer has a neutral reputation
Default foundation course

hey would like to know more about the foundation programmes. could you send me a pm? you're inbox is full!

thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDeAs View Post
There are several foundation programmes that can lead you into Year 1 Law. Duration is normally about 8 months, success rate over 98%. Happy to provide details, please check your private message.
deer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #20
calvink

calvink has a neutral reputation

Am planning to enroll as a part timer for diploma in legal executive at tp poly...which means my career would be charted towards paralegal .... is there any way that this would be accepted by institutions here to do a law degree in order to be certified as a practising lawyer...

I am more interested in assisting lawyer in legal research rather than be a practising lawyer...

However, paralegal profession seems to be fading these days..
calvink is offline   Reply With Quote